Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shutterlagged

Please help me figure out a glycolic peel schedule

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out exactly how to do these peels.

My skin: I have pale, dry skin. As a teenager, I had cystic acne that left some minor "orange peel" type scarring and red marks on my forehead, nose and cheeks. In the end, hormonal birth control calmed down the acne. I am mostly concerned with the red marks right now.

My goal: To not wear concealer and foundation.

After the last laser treatment I got in 2005 (while my acne was still active), my skin looked like the pictures in www.acne.org/messageboard/do-t43065.html&p=482572#entry482572

Six years later, the red marks have definitely faded to a light pink, but are still around my forehead and cheeks. I've decided getting rid of them would improve my self-confidence quite a bit.

I recently purchased Glycolic Acid pads (8 percent) and noticed some positive changes without any side effects (indicating that my skin can tolerate that level). I do them every night for three minutes and wash them off with cold water. I have done this for three weeks and it did seem to reduce newer marks a bit, but the old ones haven't shrunk very much. Because this is such a low concentration, this makes sense. Think I can do better though.

So I bought the same Glycolic Acid pads but with 20 percent. Can I still leave the acid on for three minutes, or is this too low to be effective given my scar severity? How should I adjust my routine of doing them every night? Three times a week? Once a month?

I'd like to get these marks significantly reduced in ugliness (or gone) by the end of April or early May. Is that feasible using 20 percent Glycolic Acid, or should I go for 35 percent once after I 'build up' to the 20 percent?

Thank you for all your help.

Edited by shutterlagged