Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone ever had these done for stubborn pimples, or cysts and can give me some info? Do these work to reduce inflammation, and take the spot away? Does the area stay red for a long time afterwards? Is there an increased chance of scarring?

Cortisone shots work well for big pimples, especially cysts, that won't go down for days. I got them all the time....sometimes 2 or 3 in one pimple over a 2 week time period. It takes the swelling down and it's red for the rest of the day but the cortisone keeps working for like 2 days. WIthout those shots, I wouldn't have gone to work with Cystic Acne! You have to have good insurance, a PPO, to be able to afford them though.

I just had my first cortisone shot done today. It was suprisingly not painful, I thought it would be because of how tender my cyst was. I can tell a lot of th redness has gone away since the shot, and it doesn't hurt to touch at all like it did last night. I will post again tomorow and let you know what kind of effect the injection had on it. My derm also gave me five pretnisone pills, supposedly they are highly effective anti-inflammatory steroids, that if taken in low doses can clear up inflamed acne very quickly, I'll also let you guys know how those go.

coLe

I had those pills too, but I couldn't sleep with them. They made me crazy! I had quite a lot of cysts so they thought that it would help with the inflammation but I could only take a week of them. Good luck!

Do they only work on cysts? I have a stubborn pimple/red mark that I've had for three months with absolutely no improvement. My dermetologist said it was "inflammatory tissue" and not a cyst, but as is my understanding, cortisone will work to reduce inflammation?

Can this be done by a regular physician? Does it require an experienced doctor? Any side effects?

Well I woke up today after getting a cortisone injection yesterday. Let me tell you, the cyst I had injected went from being really painful and getting bigger in size everyday to a smaller red mark that seems to have stopped growing and does not even hurt anymore. I am now a true believer in cortisone shots, if only I knew about them a long time ago. I would guess you would have to go to a dermatologist to have them done, I called ahead of time and told them what I was wanting to do and they made room for me very quickly and I was in and out within twenty minutes! If you are having something terrible forming go get that sob injected and watch it get defeated. biggrin.gif

coLe

All the dermetologists around here are always backed up for MONTHS. If I called today, I might get an appointment in October. sad.gif

Only reason I wonder if a family physician can do it is because cortisone injections are also commonly used to treat muscle aches, and other inflammations all over the body. So they're not limited to the realm of dermetology.

Well, it doesn't hurt to call and ask... In fact the only real way to find out is to just call around, starting with your normal doctor, and see if you can have it done somewhere other then a derm. If you can find somewhere else, go for it it will really help. bb_wink.gif

coLe