Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jjmrpg04

The regimen, and what it has done for me

I started the regimen about a year ago. I had what the dermatologist believed to be a staph infection. It definitely cleared up my zits. However, were the results worth it? For me, personally, it has destroyed me.

A year later, and I have not used the regimen in about a month. To be honest, my acne was never that bad, however bad enough that I felt like I wanted to use the regimen. I have struggled for the entire year, and there is absolutely zero sign of relief in sight. Constantly battling with dry skin, uneven skin tone, a repetitious cycle of better, then worse looking skin. I believe I over exfoliated using the AHA which is partly responsible for the condition of my skin. I did not use much...only what Dan recommended, and as often as he recommended it. In fact, less often than he said it could be used. I started using BP once a day, then once every 3 days, and once every 4. I have tried exfoliating less often, and even not at all. Exfoliating often makes my skin looks WORLDS better for about a day, but then it goes back to looking like the terrible mess that it is. And exfoliating more often does not solve the problem. It seems completely random whether or not it helps. As I already mentioned, though, I am afraid to exfoliate because the following is what many have described as a sign of over exfoliation:

My skin has kind of an orange peel like texture at this point. It looks awful in bright lighting. It seems to have aged pre-maturely, and looks wrinkly. I get little elevated patches of skin at random. It goes from nice and pale to red and damaged looking in the blink of an eye. My pores are huge. It always looks shiny despite the fact that I do NOTHING to it anymore. It feels hypersensitive to most product as well as cold weather etc. I haven't been breaking out terribly, however since over exfoliating (or so I believe). it has not seemed to improved. My once smooth and even skin tone is long gone and I fear it will remain this way forever. I have been to 2 dermatologists who don't seem to think anything is wrong. However I remember my skin, and this is NOT it. She said that I could have very well over-used my exfoliants, but that I have done no permanent damage. But if this is the case, why does it seem like in the month I have left it alone that it isn't getting any better? Have i not waited long enough? I admit, the over exfoliation could have been going on for quite some time, so maybe I am being impatient. Then again, maybe not? I feel so helpless and so ugly. I regret the day I ever started this regimen.

Here is another story that sounds remarkably similar to mine, for reference:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...20151234AAX1hJa

if anyone has any advice at this point, please send it my way. I feel like the regimen has ruined my entire life. I miss my old skin, even if it did have acne.

By saying your skin is looking worse, do you just mean super dry or are you getting active acne? And how are you exfoliating? Are you using a product or something too abrasive?

If your skin is just really dry, I would suggest rinsing your skin with luke warm water before bed, and then applying something like jojoba oil to moist skin. You can then get a damp face cloth and (not too harshly) rub off any dead skin in a downward motion, and then, when your face is still slightly damp, apply a creamy moisturizer like Cerave Cream. I'm on the regimen right now and I follow these steps, though modified, every few days to exfoliate the flakiness and give my skin extra moisture.

I was using AHA and BHA. I only used the AHA like once every few days. I overused it a few times, I admit, however I did not think the over exfoliation would have such lasting effects. I can't exfoliate AT ALL anymore. If I even use my fingers very gently it makes my skin worse in terms of how it looks and feels.

and by worse I mean exactly what I wrote.... "My skin has kind of an orange peel like texture at this point. It looks awful in bright lighting. It seems to have aged pre-maturely, and looks wrinkly. I get little elevated patches of skin at random. It goes from nice and pale to red and damaged looking in the blink of an eye. My pores are huge. It always looks shiny despite the fact that I do NOTHING to it anymore. It feels hypersensitive to most product as well as cold weather etc."

I was considering going on the regimen although my skin is really not that bad at all and I am really grateful I read this post. So thank you and I hope you can find a solution for your troubled skin...maybe just giving the dkr a rest for a couPle months.

Guest ryan.1233
god this forum and the people on it are so worthless

Hmm seems your a little bitter that it didn't work for you? :boohoo:

My skin has kind of an orange peel like texture at this point. It looks awful in bright lighting. It seems to have aged pre-maturely, and looks wrinkly. I get little elevated patches of skin at random. It goes from nice and pale to red and damaged looking in the blink of an eye.

My orange peels look awesome in bright lighting... And they never look wrinkly or pre-mature.

I believe the problem you're having is bad oranges.

Edited by kittycatsaysmeow

I AGREE WITH YOU!

bp only made me obssessed about my acne and even more insecure, and it fucked my skin up

my life and relationship with my ex was seriously fucked up by the regimen, when i overdid my BP and had red face from the moistoriser by accident i couldnt see her.. arguments because i lieeed... horrible stuff, never mind the physical effect i had

anyway, my skin is fine now

i still have acne but im going to try a fiber and probiotic supplement treatment which should get me clear as im already half clear from other supplements (omega 3 and multivitamins)

you did a good thing inposting this.

its only been a month, and take joy from the fact that the derm said it wasnt permanent and try with your entire heart to get a nice good healthy lifestyle and take plenty of supplements and get lots of exercises and your face WILL improve, i promise you, if theres one thing i know from my science education its that nothing stays the same, ever.

it is proberly improving as i type this, but if you want it improved faster then keep a nice routine, 8 hours of sleep, dont go to bed before 1am at latest, exercise plenty. and take supplements

I promise your face will get better, please dont make me break my promise! you can do it

Kino,

thanks. I appreciate your kind words. I am happy to hear you are starting a holistic regimen with probiotics and supplements, as well as exercise. I am doing the exact same. Altho I have been breaking out a tiny bit, I haven't done the holistic regimen for long. However, I feel so much better being healthy and not putting tons of products on my face. My skin does seem to be going back to normal slowly. I did use those products wayyyy too much, after all. Best of luck with your probiotics and what not! Please keep me posted on how it goes for you!

Kitty, as much as I want to curse at you, that totally made me laugh.

Ryan, it did work. It worked excellent at not giving me zits. It also did an excellent job of tearing up my face lol

god this forum and the people on it are so worthless

Yeah, they're pretty worthless if you don't listen to any of their advice. If all you want to do is go somewhere to rant, leave.

hey vanity... notice how i made the worthless comments before any advice was actually given?

u leave =P

To be clear, you called the people on this forum worthless. Pretty rude I'd say.

Vanity did not say your comment was worthless... but it was tactless. You might consider apologizing.

hey vanity... notice how i made the worthless comments before any advice was actually given?

u leave =P

You made that comment after vanityyy gave you her advice!

You also made that comment less than a day after your initial post.

You dont give members much time to respond, do you.