Notifications
Clear all

High dose zinc = no period?

MemberMember
(@jess1228)

Posted : 04/03/2011 7:43 pm

Has anyone had any problems with high dose zinc (75mg+ daily) causing their period to disappear? I have had problems with irregular periods ever since I went off birth control, but they seem to be worse after taking a higher dose of zinc. I know that zinc can increase testosterone levels, so I wonder if that is what is happening. I am taking a larger dose of zinc because I eat a lot of beans which supposedly inhibit some zinc absorption, but maybe I should cut back.

MemberMember
(@ariventa)

Posted : 04/03/2011 8:25 pm

I would cut back. Supplementing with that much isolated zinc might not be the greatest idea, especially if you have reason to believe it may be causing adverse effects.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 04/03/2011 9:45 pm

thats alot of zinc, might be affecting blood cell production somehow.

15mg is rda, the further up you go from that, the more chances of a toxic reaction.

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 04/03/2011 10:42 pm

Most people here are taking too much zinc anyway, so yeah I would cut back.

Too much of any mineral can actually inhibit OTHER minerals.

Too much Zinc can inhibit iron, magnesium, copper and calcium absorption. Too much calcium can inhibit the others as well. You need to find a good balance. The RDA is actually a pretty good measure of how much of what nutrient you should be getting daily.

MemberMember
(@jess1228)

Posted : 04/05/2011 3:23 pm

Thanks everyone. I am cutting back now -- here's to hoping my periods get back on track!

MemberMember
(@jess1228)

Posted : 04/11/2011 6:10 pm

Quick update --

I cut my zinc dosage in half, and now not even a week later I started my period (after three months without!). I think the high zinc really was disrupting my cycle.

MemberMember
(@chunkylard)

Posted : 04/13/2011 12:06 am

Quick update --

I cut my zinc dosage in half, and now not even a week later I started my period (after three months without!). I think the high zinc really was disrupting my cycle.

Glad to hear that. It was a sign something was wrong with your body, so it was probably the zinc. :)

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 02/18/2017 8:13 am

Aromatase...turns excess testosterone into estrogen. Zinc inhibits this process. High T, not enough E, no period.