Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nikon

The most upsetting thing a stranger has said about your acne?

Oh lord, where do I even start?

I got acne in middle school and they were the worst years of my life. I was bullied on a daily basis by both girls and boys about my acne. I had people ask me why I had "volcanoes" on my face, and even had a study hall with only 3 other girls dedicated to them making fun of me the whole class period and drawing pictures of me to put on my desk because the teacher was never there. It was hell.

Even my own younger siblings would make fun of my acne. They would purposely bring up my acne in front of distant relatives at gatherings and ask me why I don't buy Proactive (they know I have tried Proactive and it didn't work), and ask me what's on my face, JUST to be cruel. I told them countless times how it makes me feel and they didn't care.

I think the worst thing I ever heard was my brother tell me "It looks like you have a disease".

The sad thing is that my acne is very mild compared to some people. I don't understand why I got teased so much, I was very nice to everyone, I can't believe some people here have never had people comment on their skin. I'm so jealous. It doesn't help that I am 22 and look exactly like I did back in middle school, thanks to acne I have no self esteem.

:boohoo:

Oh lord, where do I even start?

I got acne in middle school and they were the worst years of my life. I was bullied on a daily basis by both girls and boys about my acne. I had people ask me why I had "volcanoes" on my face, and even had a study hall with only 3 other girls dedicated to them making fun of me the whole class period and drawing pictures of me to put on my desk because the teacher was never there. It was hell.

Even my own younger siblings would make fun of my acne. They would purposely bring up my acne in front of distant relatives at gatherings and ask me why I don't buy Proactive (they know I have tried Proactive and it didn't work), and ask me what's on my face, JUST to be cruel. I told them countless times how it makes me feel and they didn't care.

I think the worst thing I ever heard was my brother tell me "It looks like you have a disease".

The sad thing is that my acne is very mild compared to some people. I don't understand why I got teased so much, I was very nice to everyone, I can't believe some people here have never had people comment on their skin. I'm so jealous. It doesn't help that I am 22 and look exactly like I did back in middle school, thanks to acne I have no self esteem.

:boohoo:

Exactly. People are mean cuz they see that ur weak and have low self-esteem.They know that it'll hurt and U wont stand up for urself. U let it happen. I've met many UGLY people, but they were very confident and no one would tries to snap at them.

Exactly. People are mean cuz they see that ur weak and have low self-esteem.They know that it'll hurt and U wont stand up for urself. U let it happen. I've met many UGLY people, but they were very confident and no one would tries to snap at them.

I let it happen? I'm weak? That's a real asshole thing to say.

Edited by CottonCandi

The most insensitive and unhelpful comment I've ever read on the org. Congratulations.

The most insensitive and unhelpful comment I've ever read on the org. Congratulations.

There's a certain amount of thruth to what she (amy91) says, though. Some notice low self-esteem and vulnerability like sharks smell blood.

There's a certain amount of thruth to what she (amy91) says, though. Some notice low self-esteem and vulnerability like sharks smell blood.

I was like 12 when the teasing and bullying started.

Wow this board isn't as helpful and supportive as I previously thought before.

I didn't mean to say you had anything to blame yourself for. I was just acknowledging that in general it's true that when someone is vulnerable, people pick up on it. They just have to look at you and they know because people can read people very well. I don't think amy91's comment was written very well and I can see how it bothers some yet at the same time I'm not 100% sure if amy91's intentions were malicious.

I didn't mean to say you had anything to blame yourself for. I was just acknowledging that in general it's true that when someone is vulnerable, people pick up on it. They just have to look at you and they know because people can read people very well. I don't think amy91's comment was written very well and I can see how it bothers some yet at the same time I'm not 100% sure if amy91's intentions were malicious.

She said "You let it happen", what was I suppose to do at 12? I had no friends to back me up. The whole class would pick on me. I'd ignore them but it didn't help. It's not like I can stand up to each of them.

Edited by CottonCandi

She said "You let it happen", what was I suppose to do at 12? I had no friends to back me up. The whole class would pick on me. I'd ignore them but it didn't help. It's not like I can stand up to each of them.

Yeah, I think that was wrong choice of words on her part.

I bet many can relate to your story, btw. I know I can...

Amy91's comment insinuates that victims of bullying let it happen.

I think there are a couple of different types of persecutors detailed in this topic's stories:

-Children

-People who are uneducated on the subject and don't know any better

-People who think they are trying to help

-Bullies

It's those bullies that make it happen. They have the problem and need to change. Not people like cottoncandi. There are always going to be bullies and victims in the world but it should never be assumed that it's the victim's fault. I imagine that's what those unkind people tell themselves to help them sleep at night.

PS I don't think that Amy91's comment was malicious either but it was really unthoughtful.

Amy91's comment insinuates that victims of bullying let it happen.

I think there are a couple of different types of persecutors detailed in this topic's stories:

-Children

-Bullies

It's those bullies that make it happen. They have the problem and need to change. Not people like cottoncandi. There are always going to be bullies and victims in the world but it should never be assumed that it's the victim's fault. I imagine that's what those unkind people tell themselves to help them sleep at night.

PS I don't think that Amy91's comment was malicious either but it was really unthoughtful.

I agree. Amy91 would have done well to think more before she spoke/wrote. :confused:

I saw this show on TV the other day (or at least part of it) where victims of bullying in school went to see the bullies years and years after the fact. I remember one of the bullies opening the door to the presenter of the show who asked her "Do you remember the girl in this photograph? Did you used to bully her in school?" and she replied, saying "Well, that certainly looks like someone I would bully, yes. :evil: " and it was just horrible to see that even after all that time she was still a mean, foolish person!

Ugh. Bullies are 'wankers'. lol

Hahaha wankers! Get British with me :)

Personally, I've been on both sides of this. Throughout school, there were times when people would say mean things and I'd feel like I had no friends. And other times when I would say hateful things about people I thought weren't cool and instigate isolation of those people.

I could be like that, even though I'd been on the other side of it and hated it to the point of crying every day. The reason was because I was extremely insecure. And aren't we all? I wasn't happy with myself so I'd put other people down to try and make myself feel better. But it didn't I was really depressed and I didn't feel nice, although I felt powerful.

Now I never judge anyone on looks or first impressions. I smile at everyone and try my best to be polite and friendly to everyone I meet. If people think that being that way is asking for bullies then I feel sorry for them because I am much happier being nice than being nasty.

Personally, I've been on both sides of this. Throughout school, there were times when people would say mean things and I'd feel like I had no friends. And other times when I would say hateful things about people I thought weren't cool and instigate isolation of those people.

I could be like that, even though I'd been on the other side of it and hated it to the point of crying every day. The reason was because I was extremely insecure. And aren't we all? I wasn't happy with myself so I'd put other people down to try and make myself feel better. But it didn't I was really depressed and I didn't feel nice, although I felt powerful.

Now I never judge anyone on looks or first impressions. I smile at everyone and try my best to be polite and friendly to everyone I meet. If people think that being that way is asking for bullies then I feel sorry for them because I am much happier being nice than being nasty.

So glad you changed your ways, there's so many adults who still have bullying tendencies they had back when they were kids. From my experience, I could NEVER and would NEVER make fun of anyone. I'm so antibully it's ridiculous. I'd be the one to befriend the "losers" in school who nobody would sit with at lunch.

So glad you changed your ways, there's so many adults who still have bullying tendencies they had back when they were kids. From my experience, I could NEVER and would NEVER make fun of anyone. I'm so antibully it's ridiculous. I'd be the one to befriend the "losers" in school who nobody would sit with at lunch.

Yeah I know people like that. They still say unkind things about strangers but I find it all a bit sad.

I think that UK school systems are very different to American ones. For example I have been in schools where there are only 10 people in my class then to sixth forms where there are 2000 per year. There aren't cliques or social hierachies, queen bees or losers.

During the phase I mentioned, it was a subtle constant struggle for power and attention from the ages of 9 to 12, it kinda all settled down after that.

I came across a bully later in high school, she even used to belittle the teachers. I took it upon myself to stand up for the people she taunted and she eventually stopped.

:lol:

Hm. I bet many can relate to that too. Having been on both sides. To whatever degree. I've never been the bully but I have reacted wrongly to bullying on occasion where I'd "bite". It's like that saying where they say that you shouldn't become monstrous when you fight monsters. So yeah, I too have a couple of regrets. Nothing terrible it's all relatively innocent but nevertheless.

Everyone has been bullied at one point or another. It wasn't a personal attack on Amy's part. She was just trying to help. She could have worded it a lot better, but it's hard to say certain things on the internet. Just cut her some slack.

UNHELPFUL? Are you kidding me? It's true when pple notice ur low self esteem they do snap at you, they know that u won't stand up for urself so ur WEAK. Yes, I've tried to be mean and sarcastic with all assholes and it worked, BUT when I'm down and insecure they would bring me down. Instead of feel sorry about ourelves or posting topics such as "life is not fair and etc."we should work on our self-esteem,learn how to deal with mean pple, be confident and we will see lots of changings.We have to change our reaction on upsetting situations and pple. Yes, it's hard, and it called self-development. It doesnt matter what makes u feel insecure: physical imperfections, social status or something else.

So u guys should not get mad at me just cuz its true,okay?

And the purpose of my post was to motivate her, I didn't mean to hurt her. I'm really surprized why did everyone think that it was insensitive or unhelpful.

UNHELPFUL? Are you kidding me? It's true when pple notice ur low self esteem they do snap at you, they know that u won't stand up for urself so ur WEAK. Yes, I've tried to be mean and sarcastic with all assholes and it worked, BUT when I'm down and insecure they would bring me down. Instead of feel sorry about ourelves or posting topics such as "life is not fair and etc."we should work on our self-esteem,learn how to deal with mean pple, be confident and we will see lots of changings.We have to change our reaction on upsetting situations and pple. Yes, it's hard, and it called self-development. It doesnt matter what makes u feel insecure: physical imperfections, social status or something else.

So u guys should not get mad at me just cuz its true,okay?

And the purpose of my post was to motivate her, I didn't mean to hurt her. I'm really surprized why did everyone think that it was insensitive or unhelpful.

Unfortunately, this is what gets posted everyday in the 'Emotional and psychological effects of acne' forum. No matter how hard you try to help someone out or offer your advice, it seems like it does no good because some people are just stuck on being depressed. This forum has to be one of the most difficult forums to post in.

And yes, I prefer to be mean with mean pple. I've "swallowed" some insults in my life, it's enough!

People can post whatever they want. My GOD PEOPLE. Don't attack someone just because you don't agree with their opinion. You really think telling someone with self-esteem issues to just "be confident" and get out there is empathetic? Jeeeez.

Exactly!

Exactly!

Yeah, it's almost like people have a sixth sense.

"I see vulnerable people...!"

I'm not mean and I have no tendencies to hurt someone, BUT being mean or sarcastic it's kinda social mask for emotional vulnerbility, and I'm pretty sure that everyone has some social masks to "cover" their weaknesses. It's normal, It's okay!

Amy91's comment insinuates that victims of bullying let it happen. I think there are a couple of different types of persecutors detailed in this topic's stories:

-Children

-Bullies

I don't try to justify bullying! Bullies are pple whose life sucks and they try to get higher by bringin' others down. They are not superior, they are just insecure about themselves. That is why we MUST NOT let them get us down. We let it happen, and we can stop it!!!!

Edited by amy91