Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nikon

The most upsetting thing a stranger has said about your acne?

After reading all of your posts, I was reminded of a time from high school. I remember this bigger girl calling me pizza face all of the time. One time she confronted me and told me she heard that masturbation caused acne and maybe that was my problem. And then she walked away laughing.

Family wise, one of my older brothers says stuff on a regular basis. Lately he's been asking me, "Does your face hurt? Cause it's killing me."

"You have mud on your forehead" - my friend's little brother

Would have laughed at it now, but there were so many present that I just got embarassed, haha :D

One time i was at my friends house and he invited some chicks over and i was like fuckk! When they finally arrived and introduced me she said " I have some proactive in my bag if u want to use it." Like really wtf where did that come from.

Edited by iskate

iskate-omg what an utter bitch. any decent girl would never say anything like that-i know i wouldnt. steer well clear of her, hope she got satisfaction from being so nasty. God, girls like that make me so incredibly angry!! sorry, rant over :) xx

Guest Chrisâ„¢

Lol, I've been made fun of for my acne/scars in the past so much, and I know it hurts, but I just have to say... Some of these insults are actually pretty funny and well thought out. Like; "is your face hurting? Cos it's killing me.". That's pretty funny :S At least he is creative when insulting you. Oh, and the Proactive one... Classic. A friend of mine one time told me to urinate on my own face in the shower. She said she does it all the time... I was like 1> WTF? and 2> HOW?

Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself... :P

Seriously tho, the thing that stuck with me the most is this one time I overheard 2 people whispering when I was in a convenience store. One dude said to another guy that if he looked like me he would off himself. The other dude laughed. Ouch.

Edited by Chrisâ„¢

Lol, I've been made fun of for my acne/scars in the past so much, and I know it hurts, but I just have to say... Some of these insults are actually pretty funny and well thought out. Like; "is your face hurting? Cos it's killing me.". That's pretty funny :S At least he is creative when insulting you. Oh, and the Proactive one... Classic. A friend of mine one time told me to urinate on my own face in the shower. She said she does it all the time... I was like 1> WTF? and 2> HOW?

Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself... :P

Seriously tho, the thing that stuck with me the most is this one time I overheard 2 people whispering when I was in a convenience store. One dude said to another guy that if he looked like me he would off himself. The other dude laughed. Ouch.

I agree it was funny the first time. But hearing it day after day hurts. At least he doesn't plain out talk about my acne though. I guess it could be worse.

"At least he is creative when insulting you." WHAT? So if he's creative, it's okay then?

Guest Chrisâ„¢

No, it's not okay, but I would rather someone say something slightly comical while insulting me than them just straight up sayin; "damn, you're ugly.". At least I could get a chuckle out of it too even if it was at my own expense :). Yeah, that's lame that he teases you every day about your acne, hopefully one day he'll grow up. Yeah, it could be worse tho, he could be dead like my bro :\

No, it's not okay, but I would rather someone say something slightly comical while insulting me than them just straight up sayin; "damn, you're ugly.". At least I could get a chuckle out of it too even if it was at my own expense :). Yeah, that's lame that he teases you every day about your acne, hopefully one day he'll grow up. Yeah, it could be worse tho, he could be dead like my bro :\

Very true. At least he isn't blunt about it. That would hurt worse. As for him, he needs to grow up big time. He picks on both me and my sister's insecurities like a jerk. Mine is my face, and my sister is her weight. Sometimes I wish he had one of the two so he would understand.

Aww, I'm sorry about your brother. :( That must be hard for you.

ive only had little kids say stuff about my acne bumpy face ugly ect.. never an adult to my face but im pretty sure behind my back. i remeber one time someone said my face looks like the sharrah

Edited by charliepatton

I hate watching tv with a group of friends or people and the proactiv commercial comes on.

THIS. Ugh, it's so awkward.

When I was about to start Accutane, one of my friends - who has never had one pimple in the time I've known her, since we were about seven - started freaking out and yelling about how it would kill me and how I should just use Proactiv, for God's sake. I just fired back with, "Yeah, I have. It's shit. It doesn't work." When she kept pursuing that Accutane is only for SERIOUS problems, I told her I'd made up my mind and didn't want to talk about it anymore. I did have a serious problem. She obviously didn't get it. The end.

This is the girl who used to tell me to just wash my face with soap, and everything would be fine. Ugh. What bullocks. She meant well, but people like that irritate the hell out of me because they have no clue what they're talking about and obviously think my condition is my fault for not doing for what they consider the "obvious" solution. Seriously, her skin is perfect. I have never ever seen a single blemish on it. A lot of people like that just suggest soap and water, and it makes me so frustrated that they think we're just dirty people who bring this on ourselves.

This wasn't aimed at me, but I also once read a comment on another message board where a guy was depressed about his worsening acne. Someone responded with, "Dude, no offense, but that's fucking disgusting. Wash your goddamn face and stop moaning. It isn't hard to have clear skin."

I would have ripped him apart and eaten him for breakfast if two other people hadn't already jumped him and ripped him to shreds (in the message-board-sense) for his stupidity and rudeness.

Bleh.

I hate watching tv with a group of friends or people and the proactiv commercial comes on.

Ditto! I feel like they are thinking "you should get that".

First... I have had 2 differents guys, on 2 separate occasions say exactly this: "You could be gorgeous... if it weren't for all that acne."

They were both close friends, and I took their constructive criticism like a champ.

Second...

Have you guys ever head of formspring?

It's a site you can ask people questions anonymously.... (Just friends that you add/allow)I should have known I was asking for trouble when I added my ex's girl friend...

I logged on to a whole page full of:

"Is that herpes on your face?"

"I saw you the other day! There was a zit on your chin!! I think it was talking to me!"

Etc.

I didn't cry. Or even get mad... I've become some what jaded to these petty insults. :rolleyes:

I have learned to remember I was blessed in so many other ways that are way more important than skin tone.

1. I'm intelligent and I'm working on a double major in college with a full ride from the school for my GPA

2. I am over all very healthy.

3. I'm actually GOING somewhere in life.

4. I was blessed with an attractive face and body, and an AMAZING metabolism.

5. I am well fed, clothed, sheltered, and kept warm by my owns means (Meaning I am not mooching off mommy and daddy.)

Even after I tell myself these things every morning...

I still can't been seen by any other human being with out makeup...

I can't stand to have my face touched... I'm self conscious about the texture.. and sometimes the cysts are soooo painful...

I never go out in the day light.... If I do, I stare at the ground..

I am constantly rushing to the bathroom to check/reapply my make up...

I can only sit at certain tables in restaurants.. No where near a window - no over head lighting that casts shadows from my bumps

It's SO HARD sometimes...

A lot of people don't understand WE CAN'T JUST CHANGE IT.

A couple dabs of drug store zit zapper doesn't work on us the way it works on them and their one lousy pimple.

"Drink water" "Wash your face more" "Wash your face less" "Use this $70 cream that I get commission on for selling to you" etc. etc.

People don't understand the menagerie of pills, topical treatments, birth controls, tweezers, hot compresses, cold compresses, pus, blood, moisturizers, and cotton balls that each of us face every time we walk in the bath room.

But as I mentioned before... I'm happy being smart, independent, and healthy with a few red bumps.. than someone with beautiful skin with their life in shambles.

I'll share with you one time my dad told me that stuck with me forever.

One day I was crying in the bathroom, caking layer upon layer of concealer on my skin to hide my bumps, thinking no guy would ever want me. My dad walked in and said to me: "If a guy likes you enough to get close enough to your face to see your acne... I don't think he cares about it, and only cares about you."

It's so true.

To this day I have had no lack of male suitors, even with 20 cysts on my face. My boy friend now is amazing.. and tonight, I showed him what I looked like with out make up... This moment was easily more scary and sacred to me than losing my virginity.

He kissed me and said, "You're still beautiful and I don't care."

This is beautiful. Thank you so much for posting it! I really needed to read something like this today...

Well a stranger has never said anything to me...but a guy from my class when I was in school once said "Whats up with those zits?" and pointed at my chin area. Which at the time I had broken out badly and it was covered with acne. This made me feel awkward and horrible for the rest of that day... Another time was when I had a huge zit on my face, and a guy said to me "Holy shit thats one big spot" or something...Didn't help my self asteem lol

wow reading this is quite upsetting, I really feel for the people who suffer from severe acne and especially for the person who mentioned that one comment from someone almost made them commit suicide.

I'm reminded of this guy I knew at school who was in another class and he had really, really bad skin. People made fun of him all the time and one day at school he tried to hang himself. I saw him a few years later with clear skin and he had a girlfriend, I was so happy for him! :)

As for me, I just get breakouts that come and go. Most of my friends have had pimples at some point. It was just hard when I first broke out when I was 11 years old because I got a few comments telling me to 'go wash my face' :/

Nobody has ever made fun of me or given an inappropriate comment.. well apart from my mum who jokingly calls me 'Spotty Fucker' if I have a breakout.

Some of you gals and guys are way too nice, honestly. If someone ever insulted me like that they'd get an earful themselves, in public or not.

Luckily, I haven't had many people comment on my acne (mainly because I wear concealer everyday) But in middle school I knew a guy who had no problem calling me "forehead" in class in front of everyone as a joke. Funny, because the guy was like 4 foot nothing and looked like a turtle (that was his little nickname btw.)

I was named "forehead" because my blemishes and acne were primarily in the area, my best friend was known for her large breasts, and her friend was called "gap" because she had space between her teeth.

So this moron decides it'd be funny to pelt us with paper balls at our imperfections. He throws paper at my forehead, her mouth, and my friends breasts. So mature right?

Thankfully, it doesn't bother me anymore, but it's still ingrained in my memory.

Ive never really had a stranger mention skin issues to me, i've had store members recommend products but i generally find that quite helpful? I remember once though my skin was realy dry because of this cream i'd been using. I didn't realise how flaky my skin was anyway my 'friend' managed to tell me whith a smirk on her face"Omg olive your skins really dry do you want some moisturiser" i kept myself together and said 'yeh that would be great" while i was thinking shit whatever moisturiser she has is going to break me out so badd. anyway she replied saying"oops i dont have any"

helpful.

Some of you gals and guys are way too nice, honestly. If someone ever insulted me like that they'd get an earful themselves, in public or not.

Luckily, I haven't had many people comment on my acne (mainly because I wear concealer everyday) But in middle school I knew a guy who had no problem calling me "forehead" in class in front of everyone as a joke. Funny, because the guy was like 4 foot nothing and looked like a turtle (that was his little nickname btw.)

I was named "forehead" because my blemishes and acne were primarily in the area, my best friend was known for her large breasts, and her friend was called "gap" because she had space between her teeth.

So this moron decides it'd be funny to pelt us with paper balls at our imperfections. He throws paper at my forehead, her mouth, and my friends breasts. So mature right?

Thankfully, it doesn't bother me anymore, but it's still ingrained in my memory.

I can relate. I remember in class we were given free samples of Clearasil, and I had several thrown at my back. I found a few hidden in my bag when I got home. How thoughtful of my peers :boohoo:

When i was on my first dose of Oratane i used to pick up kids after school to make extra cash. My skin was kind of breaking out and peeling and just blaaaa. I clearly remember what this one little girl asked/said to me. Hey 'do you have skin cancer' :ninja:

When i was on my first dose of Oratane i used to pick up kids after school to make extra cash. My skin was kind of breaking out and peeling and just blaaaa. I clearly remember what this one little girl asked/said to me. Hey 'do you have skin cancer' :ninja:

Ouch, the little girl probably doesn't understand yet. She may develop acne in her future.

I was babysitting my 6 year old cousin when her friend asks, why do you have all the purple stuff on your face? and then tries to rub it off. All i had were scars at the time, and i immediately ran to the bathroom and washed my face.

I think my worst one was when my friends were having this argument with a girl in the middle of new look's changing rooms about something or other, and the girl turned round and her friend was getting inside one of the cubicles getting changed and she looked at us and went, "Well, ones a fatty, the others ugly and that one is well spotty' I know 'well spotty' isn't even that bad, but one: it wasn't even that bad at the time! and two: completely unrelated to my skin, but I had nothing to do with their little argument. I was like .... thanks. XD The other remarks have just been little kids, but even though it's embarrassing, especially when in front of other people, I just tend to wave it off since they don't understand.

Once a good family friend came up to me and said, "All of your sisters have such beautiful skin. You should try to be more like them." I've since learned not to compare myself with others, but back then I was obsessed with trying to look as pretty (their type of pretty) as my three sisters, especially because none of them ever broke out.

At the time I was on accutane, which not only did not work,but made me very ill.

I went home, in tears, to my parents. My mom said, "I don't understand how you feel. I always had perfect skin growing up. Just try and remember she (the woman) was trying to compliment your sisters. At least they were blessed with beauty."

I think what stung the most was my mom's "consolation". But now, years later (still working on my acne) I can't help but be grateful it was me with the bad skin and not my sisters. I think that's what my mom was trying to explain - that this challenge was tailored for me for a reason.

Gee whiz though, getting random advice from strangers or "hints" from certain friends can be frustrating too :)

But having good friends see past my skin has made me able to laugh at others' comments. At least, in the long run.