Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nikon

The most upsetting thing a stranger has said about your acne?

I have a cousin who asked why I had a rash on my face when I was using Retin-A. It wasn't a mean question, but for the rest of the day I felt incredibly self-concious about it. A few other people mentioned it too, and after that all I could think about was them staring at me.

Then this past summer the SAME cousin leaned over me to look at my acne. She made a weird face and just sat back down. It was the rudest thing she's ever done, and she's done some pretty hurtful things to me. I'm already self-concious enough around my family because all of my cousins have perfect skin and I only see them once a year, so that just made it 100 times worse.

Edited by Guillermo Cheque

Walk in to wal-mart. 5 black people walking one of them says "ooooh that boy need some proactive" in some really ghetto way. I heard them but I pretended as if I didnt, and my friend was with me and he heard them too but we just stayed quiet...

That feel :(

I've never heard comments from complete strangers but I was made fun of by boys at school about it in my early teens. I was bullied about everything about my looks. My acne wasn't even horrible and I don't think I'm very ugly. It really scarred me emotionally and it kinda made me hate guys (I've never had a boyfriend). I hope later on they got horrible acne (I know a few did) and saw what's it's like. One of them actually got bald at 20. Hi karma!!

I really dislike people who make fun of others. That is just horrible. Nobody deserves to be treated like that :(

First... I have had 2 differents guys, on 2 separate occasions say exactly this: "You could be gorgeous... if it weren't for all that acne."

They were both close friends, and I took their constructive criticism like a champ.

Second...

Have you guys ever head of formspring?

It's a site you can ask people questions anonymously.... (Just friends that you add/allow)I should have known I was asking for trouble when I added my ex's girl friend...

I logged on to a whole page full of:

"Is that herpes on your face?"

"I saw you the other day! There was a zit on your chin!! I think it was talking to me!"

Etc.

I didn't cry. Or even get mad... I've become some what jaded to these petty insults. rolleyes.gif

I have learned to remember I was blessed in so many other ways that are way more important than skin tone.

1. I'm intelligent and I'm working on a double major in college with a full ride from the school for my GPA

2. I am over all very healthy.

3. I'm actually GOING somewhere in life.

4. I was blessed with an attractive face and body, and an AMAZING metabolism.

5. I am well fed, clothed, sheltered, and kept warm by my owns means (Meaning I am not mooching off mommy and daddy.)

Even after I tell myself these things every morning...

I still can't been seen by any other human being with out makeup...

I can't stand to have my face touched... I'm self conscious about the texture.. and sometimes the cysts are soooo painful...

I never go out in the day light.... If I do, I stare at the ground..

I am constantly rushing to the bathroom to check/reapply my make up...

I can only sit at certain tables in restaurants.. No where near a window - no over head lighting that casts shadows from my bumps

It's SO HARD sometimes...

A lot of people don't understand WE CAN'T JUST CHANGE IT.

A couple dabs of drug store zit zapper doesn't work on us the way it works on them and their one lousy pimple.

"Drink water" "Wash your face more" "Wash your face less" "Use this $70 cream that I get commission on for selling to you" etc. etc.

People don't understand the menagerie of pills, topical treatments, birth controls, tweezers, hot compresses, cold compresses, pus, blood, moisturizers, and cotton balls that each of us face every time we walk in the bath room.

But as I mentioned before... I'm happy being smart, independent, and healthy with a few red bumps.. than someone with beautiful skin with their life in shambles.

I'll share with you one time my dad told me that stuck with me forever.

One day I was crying in the bathroom, caking layer upon layer of concealer on my skin to hide my bumps, thinking no guy would ever want me. My dad walked in and said to me: "If a guy likes you enough to get close enough to your face to see your acne... I don't think he cares about it, and only cares about you."

It's so true.

To this day I have had no lack of male suitors, even with 20 cysts on my face. My boy friend now is amazing.. and tonight, I showed him what I looked like with out make up... This moment was easily more scary and sacred to me than losing my virginity.

He kissed me and said, "You're still beautiful and I don't care."

The bold is what I find inspiring, thank you for posting this, it gives me hope.

The worst is when I try to confide in a friend about my breakout. Tell them how stressed I am about it and how self conscious it's making me. Then they try to sympathize and tell me that they're breaking out too even though their 'breakout' is a single blackhead. Meanwhile I'm covered in aggravated cysts. Thanks. Your 'breakout' is better than my dream skin.

I've actually never had anyone come up to me in person and make a rude comment about my acne. Sure, I've gotten rude comments about it on the internet but never in person to my face, lol. Guess I'm lucky? I still feel like crap.

I had a kid in my 3rd hour in 7th grade that would make comments like "oh look, he's got another pimple" or "how can you not notice your own face? Do you even use anything to get rid of it? He even decided to count my pimples one day. I dreaded that class.

Luckily, I haven't had many of these experiences besides this one kid who commented on my acne all through middle school (I literally had like 2 pimples then- not a big deal! Gosh!)

Anyway, the one thing I can gain from acne is the knowledge of how it feels to be picked on for anything- whether it be acne or something else. Before I had bad acne, I had no problem gossiping with my friends about "so-and-so's fat/ugly/has acne", which I now feel really bad about ever doing. Now, whenever my friends say stuff like that, I stick up for the person. For example, my friends and i were just chatting about people at my school, and one friend says about a girl, "I think she's so pretty!" and then the other friend says, "Well maybe she could be, but...she's kinda fat." I told her that the girl was really pretty and that she shouldn't focus on people's imperfections.

I worked at a strip club and a customer told me I looked like a burn victim. I got a lot of nasty comments like that until I was eventually fired...

I love getting advice. Even had someone tell me to putt my first day's urine on my face. Yeah...

Living with two brothers was enough to make me immune to insults about mine, I guess, since they made fun of it just about everyday and eventually I just quit listening.

Sure, I've had some embarrassing things said to me but I know I don't let it bother me.

Most people who bring up a person's acne in conversation are either too naive to know better, or not worth listening to anyway.

Once an old man was walking past me at church and I had a giant honker on my forehead and he said, "Excuse me miss- you've got a bruise! How did that happen?" And he was genuinely concerned for me.

Too bad I was too young to realize he was just asking because he cared.

Oh yeah, and one thing that cracked me up- one night when I was applying moisturizer and getting ready for bed and my boyfriend came in the bathroom and watched me for a minute and said, "I'm sorry I have such clear skin."

LOOOOOOL.

Edited by Ginniathzinnia

lmao for real this thread is depressing. its crazy how we can all relate to each other though. ive actually been lucky too with comments from strangers, only have had one. was walking into a bank and this really fat lady just stopped and starred in awe, and was like "omg what happened to your face?!" like really lady your probably like 50 do you live under a rock, never seen acne lol, but I was like "omg damn what happened to your body" and laughed and walked away haha. Even through acne I've always had a great body so that helps me with confidence.

People who never experience acne can never understand the experience.

This was when I worked at a warehouse. I was drinking egg whites which I have no idea why.. I used to lift weights, so I needed protein, but honestly.. egg whites are gross.. I regret drinking it.. He always used to see me drinking it, so one day, during break he said to stop drinking that 'cause it gives me pimples. There were workers around me, so I am sure they heard it. hm.. I can't think what else..my skin problem was never severe. I never got cystics, etc. Just those whiteheads one, but some were big.

Oh, here's another.. I was at gym lifting with my friend and he noticed that I always cover my forehead, so I laid down to lift and he saw my acne. I had a few big ones.

I recently broke out on forehead.. but it is healing now ;\ so he said, so that's why you don't cut your hair? :X I do usually cut my hair, but stupid forehead acne.. came back ;\

People have made fun of me lots......mostly my freinds would point it out in class by yelling about .....lol fml

people never actually say anything but by the way they examine my face I can tell that they are staring straight at my acne. I was serving a lady at work a while ago and she was just staring at my acne for about 10 mins. It was so awkward

people never actually say anything but by the way they examine my face I can tell that they are staring straight at my acne. I was serving a lady at work a while ago and she was just staring at my acne for about 10 mins. It was so awkward

Lol. It is awkward. It is easy to tell if they're looking at your acne. That's why I don't make eye contacts at all.

I can totally relate to this behavior. Kids are one thing, but adults should know better. It's ironic because people assume I don't care about my skin/take care of myself when I'm vegan, gluten and sugar free! I don't need advice on what chemicals and pills I should be using. My bad for dealing with this from the inside-out, natural way.

On a brighter note, when I stopped wearing make-up, I told my friend a positive of it was that my teeth looked whiter lol..and then a random lady at the store said she liked my teeth and they were the first thing she noticed about me. I thought that was really sweet because most people tend to notice my skin.

Living in a major city in Asia where people use hard sales, people were especially really mean to me in department stores, pharmacies, drugstore, beauty shops, etc.

-Wow, you have so many pimples! (As if I had to be reminded!) If you use this it will go away!

-What do you use on your skin? Buy this, and it will go away!

-You have skin problems!

-You are such a beautiful girl, you shouldn't have pimples! You should drink wintermelon and pigeon soup! My friend's daughter also had the same thing as you and when she started drinking it all went away!

-Do you sleep really late at night? Because your skin is broken out!