Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nikon

The most upsetting thing a stranger has said about your acne?

in seventh grade a new girl to my class got asked to the school dance by a friend and when she initially said no he said 'its either me or pus mountain over there.' she still said no and never talked to him again but that really hurt.

What the hell, I would've gone over there to punch him in the face for that, how were you even friends with this person. "Yeah, it's either me or Bloody Harry over there, thanks."

(I was not a very peaceful person back in Grade 7. I once turned a water hose on a dude because he refused to get out of my seat... in the middle of class.)

it was seventh grade! i cried that day when i got home, and my friend apologized to me the next day, and i didnt have many friends so i forgave him, he wasn't the only one who called me that btw, i was known by a lot of 'creative' names in elementary school. I'd like to say i would have been different if i was in their shoes but i dont know for sure

in seventh grade a new girl to my class got asked to the school dance by a friend and when she initially said no he said 'its either me or pus mountain over there.' she still said no and never talked to him again but that really hurt.

What the hell, I would've gone over there to punch him in the face for that, how were you even friends with this person. "Yeah, it's either me or Bloody Harry over there, thanks."

(I was not a very peaceful person back in Grade 7. I once turned a water hose on a dude because he refused to get out of my seat... in the middle of class.)

it was seventh grade! i cried that day when i got home, and my friend apologized to me the next day, and i didnt have many friends so i forgave him, he wasn't the only one who called me that btw, i was known by a lot of 'creative' names in elementary school. I'd like to say i would have been different if i was in their shoes but i dont know for sure

Oh, I'm glad he apologized. I was a huge bitch back in middle school - I'm actually surprised not more people tried to stick up to me. 22 year old me wants to give 12 year old me a long series of slaps and more. I'm sure a lot of those elementary school kids probably feel bad about their behaviour now.

i am too, its impossible to recover the time i spent convincing myself i was as 'unworthy', for lack of a better word, as they said, but they were kids, and at the very least i was forced into humolity so even if i was covered in zits i was still one of the nicest kids in school!

i am too, its impossible to recover the time i spent convincing myself i was as 'unworthy', for lack of a better word, as they said, but they were kids, and at the very least i was forced into humolity so even if i was covered in zits i was still one of the nicest kids in school!

Ugh, I am so sorry to hear that. I think the emotional scars people develop during their formative years are often impossible to completely get rid of. I was popular in grade school, but that's had its own set of drawbacks - rest assured that the popular kids probably hated themselves for every tiny perceived flaw/imperfection that they picked on everybody else for and that their need for "perfection" often ends up carrying on to their adult lives... rendering them far more miserable in the long-run than the kids who learned it was totally okay to be different back during those adolescent years.

Edited by hotburrito

i have to see my aunt about once a year. she's very superficial and looks are so important to her. she sells expensive cosmetics. at times my skin looks alright, then she gives me compliments and tells me i'm pretty. but sometimes i got some breakouts and then she makes me feel like i'm letting her down. and she always addresses it and goes like "oh no, you got skin problems again, let me give you some cream for that!" as if i hadn't tried pretty much everything already. oh and also thanks for telling me i got skin problems, you know, i never look in the mirror ^^

Some kid during middle school came up to me and said "Hi guys".

Looking around i was confused.

I was the only one standing there.

So i said "What do you mean 'guys', I'm the only one here."

Then he said "No, you're not", and pointed to my forehead.

....Wanted to kick him so bad.

Some kid during middle school came up to me and said "Hi guys".

Looking around i was confused.

I was the only one standing there.

So i said "What do you mean 'guys', I'm the only one here."

Then he said "No, you're not", and pointed to my forehead.

....Wanted to kick him so bad.

u should have, i bet he'd remember that, the little sh*t. kids in middle school can be so mean

Strangers have thoughtfully suggested the following to me:

"Have you tried Proactiv?"

"Have you tried not wearing makeup for a while?"

haha, wish it were that simple! These people obviously have never had real acne problems.

Not a stranger, a classmate of mine told this to me: (about 6years ago)

We were 3 and walking towards home after school

He said(to me): You have way too many pimples on your face

I didn't talk

A friend of mine told him: you're so mean, it's normal

He said: yes it happens, but hers is abnormal

Imagine how awful I felt when I heard that. it crushed my heart.

Up to now, some of my college schoolmates would mock me with my acne scars too, but I will just laughed at it and tell them "yeah I know, one day I'll just go to the most renowned derma to clear this up."

It still hurts me (a bit) whenever people will mock me because of my face condition but what the heck, they don't know what it feels like having this skin problem. And when the time comes that I become successful treating my acne, I know that I can help people to bring up their confidence. There's nothing more rewarding than helping people who suffers the condition you've had just like Dan.

Well this was my friend telling me this a few years back when we were younger. Anyway I was getting ready to go to rehearsal, and decided to pop this huge whitehead on my cheek. I stepped out of the house without thoroughly dealing with it and so I guess it was still bleeding. I get to rehearsal and the first thing my friend says is "Is that dried blood on your face?" while pointing at my popped zit. I was mortified O_O

I've suffered from acne at such an early age (I remember having a pimple when I was 10) and continue to do so (I'm 21 now) so I've had my fair share of sucky, sucky comments from people.

My dad used to tell me that I was prettier than most girls when I was younger but when I started having acne he'd often scold me for not going to sleep early because doing so causes zits.

A neighbor of ours told my sister to take good care of her skin so she won't grow up to be like me (obviously referring to my bad skin).

My aunt once commented on how bad my skin was and then asked, "did anyone ask you to be their girlfriend?" That was just harsh.

When I was around 11 a friend shared a joke she saw on TV and applied it to me. It was about a person consulting a doctor about her acne. The doctor told her that she won't have pimples anymore because there's no place for one now that her face is full of it. I cried so hard because of this. That person immediately apologized and we remain to be good friends until now. I don't hate her for it but that's one of those acne stories I'll never forget.

Like most people here I've had bad experience with kids which is why I'm not really fond of them. I actually avoid sitting near kids in the bus or looking directly at one. This one time, I was walking home and a kid followed me, pointed at my face and said "ugly!" the whole time I was walking towards home. My head was down, and I wished that no one was around when that happened. Another was when I was trying to sleep at the bus. I heard a kid say, "she's ugly" and then I tried to cover my face with a handkerchief.

The other day my friend and I were walking and passed by a saleslady. When she saw me she raised her voice and said that her items were good for pimples, blackheads, etc.

Today I was with a friend and she's really pretty. I was walking with her when a drunk guy talked to us and said, "you know, only one out of you two is beautiful" and then he pointed out to my friend and then went on to say that I was ugly and fat.

Sometimes I wonder how I became the 'cheerful' and 'nice' person that some people say I am. Most of the time I overlook the imperfections of my skin in the mirror and just proceed on having a good life with my friends. However, there are just those days when I can't help it.

Well, this one happened to me today and even though it wasn't directed at me it stung like hell when I heard it, its also not from a stranger, but oh well smile.png

Theres a guy me and my friends know in our college, who has acne and is a complete sh*thead (no, it isn't because of his acne either, he is genuinely a nasty piece of work).

So, we were talking about universities and the like and eventually about how this guy got rejected from one of the uni's he was applying to. One of my friends said 'its probably because they don't want him there, spreading his acne' We all laughed, even myself halfheartedly (yeah, I know, talking about people behind their backs is wrong but this guy deserves it), but it got me thinking about how I look to them and anyone else which lead me to thinking about how ugly I think I am, which stung a lot because I genuinely do think I am a fairly ugly guy but I had forgotten about it for a while, tried to be positive and was having a really good day until this happened and it all spiraled down form there really. I know my friend had no intentions of offending me or anything like that but it really did make me feel like sh*t.

(looks at me with a disgusted face)- wow your breaking out.....bad! -__-

you should buy proactive

if you stop eating bacon your pimples will go away

hey your face is clearing up, kinda....you still have a lot of pimples.

What wrong with your face?

you have acne because you eat alot of sugar

the list could go on but why torture myself with memories

i have to see my aunt about once a year. she's very superficial and looks are so important to her. she sells expensive cosmetics. at times my skin looks alright, then she gives me compliments and tells me i'm pretty. but sometimes i got some breakouts and then she makes me feel like i'm letting her down. and she always addresses it and goes like "oh no, you got skin problems again, let me give you some cream for that!" as if i hadn't tried pretty much everything already. oh and also thanks for telling me i got skin problems, you know, i never look in the mirror ^^

ugh its like these people dont think we know we have acne and they just feel the need to blurt it out:(

Edited by jessica8976

I was dressing up for some halloween themed thing at school a few years ago, and I was wearing some white face powder like a witch costume and this guy in my group said "Did you stick the pimples on or......?" and when I looked away awkwardly he just stopped awkwardly. That was terrible. Never forgotten that moment.

I don't get many people commenting on my skin. A few months back I had one person stop me at a mall and try to sell me products, but that's been really it. The most depressing comments have definitely been from little kids actually...about something unrelated but still makes me equally insecure. It's when they're with their parent and say "Oh my gosh, she's so big!"

Ok, I'm not morbidly obese, give me a break kids! Not cool!

I have mild to moderate acne. My forehead is crystal clear, my chin only has two whiteheads, and my cheeks have about 1-5 pimples. Two of them being blackheads on both sides and the rest being papules. I have a minority amount of scars and have about 1-5 freckles on my left cheek. I also woke up today and found a papule under my left eye. I had a work out, drank a bottle of water, and had a shower. Used the usual scrub and moisturiser afterwards. Back on point, I have had two altercations with both a stranger and a girl from school. So rude and judgemental of them.

Altercation No. 1.

I was waiting at the bus stop, when a very attractive girl walks up and sits next to me. This wasn't an ordinary girl, this girl was a goddess. She had it all. Great looks, perfect teeth, and a body that I frothed over. This is what happened.

Girl: Hey.

Me: Hey, you talking to me?

Girl: Yeah. May I suggest something to you?

Me: Sure. What is it?

Girl: Buy some Proactiv. Seriously, at least buy something.

She got up and got her bus. I was crushed. For a girl as gorgeous as she was to say something like that to me was awful.

Altercation No.2.

I was in food technology and I was cooking with my partner Abhishek. He had one of the biggest cystic pimples on his nose, but I couldn't care less about it. He is an awesome guy. This girl in our class called Hana wanted to borrow some salt. This is what happened.

Hana: Hey guys, can I borrow the salt.

Abhishek: Here you go.

Hana: Thanks. Also, what the hell is that?

Abhishek: What are you talking about?

Hana: On your nose. It's putrid. Get rid of it.

Abhishek: Shut up. We're trying to cook here.

Hana: Buy something to get rid of it. It's disgusting.

Me: Piss off Hana. Leave him alone.

Hana: Don't tell me to piss off Harrison. You have pimples too. I wouldn't say anything.

Me: All you are doing is having a go at him. You're nothing special as well. Jackass.

Hana: At least I don't have pimples.

Me: At least I don't dress like a slut.

Mr. Harper: Harrison, there is no need for that. Get out.

Me: What the hell. I didn't do anything. Not my fault she's a bitch.

Mr. Harper: Enough is enough Harrison. Just get out of here.

Hana: Yeah, that's right. Piss off and don't come back.

Me: Lame. I'm out of here.

Hana: Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Me: I won't, because it's already hit you first.

Bad thing was I got a detention for that. I was just protecting a friend from a girl that thinks she is all that. She dresses like a slut, posts topless photos on Facebook, and thinks it's okay to treat others like dirt and act like a snob to everyone but her friends. So glad her and 60 different people from my year have gone to a different school. A lot of them were people that went to parties, got drunk and annoyed everyone. Got a few friends leaving, but that's okay. Going back to school tomorrow, so it's going to be a fresh start this year.

That i could be so pretty, a model even, if it wasent for my skin.

O and children asking whats wrong with my face, but i guess they dont know any better

O and children asking whats wrong with my face, but i guess they dont know any better

I'm clear now but my acne used to be "stop and stare" severe, so I really have a lot of bad memories and can relate to a lot of what you've said.

I don't have a lot of situations involving strangers but I can think of a few.

-One time (like many of you) a sweet little girl *maybe 5 yrs old* came up to me in a waiting room somewhere and giggled and said "You have polka dots on your face!" Her mom immediately called her over and scolded her and then looked back at me with this pained look of pity on her face. Honestly the look of pity was worse than what the little girl said but it still hurt.

-Another time, when I worked in an office I had a very rude customer who wouldn't stop staring at my face. Literally, she would STARE blankly, totally zoning out on it to the point where she wouldn't answer my questions as I was trying to help her. She kept making this gagging face like she was about to throw up. Then, after ignoring me for a few minutes more she took one last disgusted look at my skin and said she would prefer to do her business elsewhere. She never actually said anything about my acne but it was very obvious she was disgusted by it and it hurt me so much that I almost committed suicide soon after.. *(long story, obviously I didn't do it and am still here)

-Not a stranger, but at that same office, I was sitting with two other co-workers, one of whom was my friend and the other was this really evil older lady who walked with a cane and was just really blunt and cold with how she spoke to people. We were all eating lunch and chatting and I notice the older lady sort of scowling at me and examining my skin. Then she says very rudely and loudly: "Are you picking at your face? Your face shouldn't be like that. That isn't right."

To be fair, it was true... my face wasn't right. This was the peak of my suffering with acne, the worst of the worst. I had almost no normal skin on my face and I was looking pretty deformed, makeup couldn't even cover it anymore. In fact, I just remembered another embarrassing moment, later on at that same job my boss called me into the office to discuss "what was being done" about my skin because this was a job where we had to be "presentable" for the public...

It really was the worst time in my life. I ended up getting let go and a few months after that I finally found the start of the long road which would lead me to healing and getting clear.

Just to add some positivity:

-At my most recent job (last year, all the bad stories were from 2-3 years prior) I was ringing up a customer who was buying a bunch of skin scrubs and spa stuff and what not. I held one up and said something like, "this looks nice" and she responded "Yeah, it's good stuff, not like you'd need it though, you look like you've always been one of those lucky people with naturally gorgeous skin."

Think what THAT felt like to hear. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif I went from being stared at like a leper in public to having what a stranger would assume to be "naturally gorgeous skin" in less than 3 years time! Keep the faith, people. Everything can change.

God, I hope my skin will look that amazing one day! This just gave me so much hope!

Luckily, I haven't had too many comments on my skin, but I do catch people staring at it all the time. I wanted to sit in my bathroom and cry when I read these stories, it's so painful and heartbreaking.

One time in sixth grade the boy I liked asked me if I knew what proactive was and he told me I should try it. Also, one of my "friends" (we aren't friends anymore) told me I looked ugly when I woke up in the morning. Another former friend would go around telling people that I had really bad acne. Another former friend likes to tell people now that I'm soooo ugly without makeup and she always comments on how much foundation and powder I cake on (she does too, so she really has no right). People are so cruel it makes me sick. I hope they get what they deserve.

My worst comments aren't as bad as some of you but here's my list of oh so fond memories:

My cousin was trying this noxema cream for her face and said it felt really tingly and refreshing so I decided to try it. I don't quite remember how it happened but she ended up applying it to my face...later on that day she told me how disgusting my skin felt and that she felt like throwing up when she was touching it. THANKS CUZ!

My parents were the worst of them all, ironically, it seems your family is always the most judgmental because they feel they have a right to be. May dad used to give me stupid tips and tricks whenever a new pimple popped up (which was like every other day). My mom made fun of me throughout elementary school until the day I finally broke down and told her how bad it made me feel, so she stopped. She then resorted to calling friends, asking people in public settings, and PICKING my face in public instead (she's the reason I have my 11 yr old acne scars till this day)

Prom day: I decide to use foundation for once and my mom's dear friend tells me she never thought I could look pretty with a big wideeeee smile on her face.

I was going on a campus tour with my mom, my classmate, and her mom. While walking my classmate's mom stops me dead in my tracks and says I really need to fix my face before I start college because professors will not take me seriously and I definitely won't be getting any jobs.

And of course the many many tips, tricks, and unwarranted advice from strangers, coworkers, family friends, family, etc etc.

It's been a long road guys and I'm still on it!!!!! It would be a dream come true if I could just lock myself in a room somewhere and never see daylight or people again!

I haven't had many, mostly because my major problem areas are covered by a shirt most of the time. Some of the more uncomfortable moments came from casual observations. Note that none of these are strangers, but rather people I'm familiar with.

Once, for instance, I was sleeping at my grandmother's house over the holidays. The family was packed in tight and I got to sleep on the couch. I tend to sleep in just my boxer shorts. The next morning my cousin walked in and loudly exclaimed "What's wrong with your back!?", not terribly hurtful, but that always precedes the awkward explanation of my body acne problem.

On several other occasions I've had people ask what was going on with my arms, as my acne is almost down to the elbow, meaning t-shirts tend to show it off. After multiple variations of this event I avoided wearing t-shirts whenever possible. Which actually lead to one of the worst days of my life, but that's a story for another time.

That brings me to what I feel was a definitive moment for me in regards to caring what people thought about my acne. I was discussing my problems in the dating world with my oldest friend. He couldn't understand why I had so many hang ups. I told him that my body acne was the driving force behind my inability to connect sith women, and being a relatively understanding friend, and after listening to me talk about it for years he asked me to show him. For how bad could it truly be?

And so I removed my shirt, and stood there as he literally judged the severity. He became almost entirely silent and there was an awkward pause. Then followed his reaction, which was something along the lines of "On, uh, yeeeeah. I see what you mean". Thus the topic came to a close, and we stopped discussing it.

It wasn't a cruel reaction, or unwarranted, but somehow that made it worse. For he had more or less validated my own concerns. After showing him he understood why I found my body so shameful. More than that, he went from "how bad could it be", to accepting it as fact that it was bad and my hang ups made perfect sense.

Edited by AceEpidermis

I haven't had many, mostly because my major problem areas are covered by a shirt most of the time. Some of the more uncomfortable moments came from casual observations. Note that none of these are strangers, but rather people I'm familiar with.

Once, for instance, I was sleeping at my grandmother's house over the holidays. The family was packed in tight and I got to sleep on the couch. I tend to sleep in just my boxer shorts. The next morning my cousin walked in and loudly exclaimed "What's wrong with your back!?", not terribly hurtful, but that always precedes the awkward explanation of my body acne problem.

On several other occasions I've had people ask what was going on with my arms, as my acne is almost down to the elbow, meaning t-shirts tend to show it off. After multiple variations of this event I avoided wearing t-shirts whenever possible. Which actually lead to one of the worst days of my life, but that's a story for another time.

That brings me to what I feel was a definitive moment for me in regards to caring what people thought about my acne. I was discussing my problems in the dating world with my oldest friend. He couldn't understand why I had so many hang ups. I told him that my body acne was the driving force behind my inability to connect sith women, and being a relatively understanding friend, and after listening to me talk about it for years he asked me to show him. For how bad could it truly be?

And so I removed my shirt, and stood there as he literally judged the severity. He became almost entirely silent and there was an awkward pause. Then followed his reaction, which was something along the lines of "On, uh, yeeeeah. I see what you mean". Thus the topic came to a close, and we stopped discussing it.

It wasn't a cruel reaction, or unwarranted, but somehow that made it worse. For he had more or less validated my own concerns. After showing him he understood why I found my body so shameful. More than that, he went from "how bad could it be", to accepting it as fact that it was bad and my hang ups made perfect sense.

Reminds me of the time when me and a few mates went on a trip and one of the guy had serious body acne.So everynight he had to apply strong cream (Think it was benzoyl) on his back but he couldnt reach.So the other guys and me took turn each night and applied it for him ,it was one of those no homo situation but we all understood where he was coming from.Now the situation is reversed and now im the one with acne.

Reminds me of the time when me and a few mates went on a trip and one of the guy had serious body acne.So everynight he had to apply strong cream (Think it was benzoyl) on his back but he couldnt reach.So the other guys and me took turn each night and applied it for him ,it was one of those no homo situation but we all understood where he was coming from.Now the situation is reversed and now im the one with acne.

Amongst all of the nasty things people have had said to them/done to them because of acne, that was refreshing to read. Its nice to know that there are people who understand what people with acne are going through - we can't help it, honestly the way some people act to you because of acne its as if we chose to have it just to spite them...but like I said, some people, there are nice ones too smile.png

Hi Ace. Is your bacne still active? Do allow me to comment as I've been in the same boat (and worse I suppose, I had the odd pimple even on my *enis). Due to ignorance I left it untreated from around 18 to 26 y/o. It caused me grievous physical and mental harm.

The only way out is with repeated courses of Accutane. If you search these forums you'll see I'm very much against Accutane, HOWEVER your situation is pretty much the only one where the benefits far outweigh the risks. Do hit me up with a PM if you wish. Cheers.