Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nikon

The most upsetting thing a stranger has said about your acne?

So, I'm guessing we've all been through this. A stranger (who obviously hasn't the first clue about cystic and nodular acne) comes up to you, and gives you their "advice". It's happened to me at work, it's happened to me while I'm buying make-up. And it makes me want to punch them in the face!!! (And I'm generally very calm). I thought this would be a good place to share these stories. I know it would make me feel better :angel:

Here is mine:

I work in a designer boutique that sells women's clothing. This older man comes in and gives me his business card. He's a plumber and was going around to all the business handing out his card. Anyway, I'm new to the area and we start talking about general things, making small talk. Then all of a sudden, he interrupts what I was saying about the weather here and says "Let me just ask you something, how much water do you normally drink?" I knew where this was going. I said "I drink 8 glasses a day". He said "oh because my cousin's friend has what you have on your face and she had to completely stop eating greasy food and start drinking lots of water and that cleared it up." I'm extremely conscious of nutrition...plus we all know that doesn't help us! Everyone thinks they're a doctor!

I also want to punch people that recommend Proactive to me.

I've only experienced it once, luckily. And at that point I was going to get a hair cut, and the girl, who gave me the hair cut, said:

"You need to get the hair away from your forhead, so that those zits will go away". I didn't answer her, heh. Oddly enough, my forhead has been one of the most "clear" areas on my skin. But that was rather embaressing, especially because it was a puplic place :|

But that's the good thing about living in Denmark. Nobody talks with each other, unless you already know the person :lol:. I thought that was normal, until I was on holiday in Sweden, and got all weirded out by the Swedish people :lol:. Anyway, I'm rambling!

I have severe cystic acne, mostly along the jawline and sides of face as well as some pretty bad redness throughout the face from years of abrasive cleansing. I was at Target on a weekend looking through the electronics aisle. I didn't have any makeup on and my hair was pulled back so my face was fully exposed. A young man with Down's Syndrome walked up to me out of the blue and VERY loudly asked "Hey, what happened to your face? What's all those red bumps?" There were several other people around and you could tell they were silently laughing but trying not to look over at us. I just politely smiled at him and told him it was "a rash" and walked away as fast as I could. I was so embarrassed. Granted, I'm sure everyone else noticed it when they saw me but when someone points it out like that it's humiliating. I wasn't mad at the guy since I knew he was mentally disabled and was just curious. But after that day I never went anywhere without full coverage foundation on. I know cosmetics are aggravating the acne even more, but I can't work up the courage anymore to walk out bare-faced.

i have a stranger just a mth ago stared at me straight for a few minutes when i was having my lunch and said "u shld drink more green bean soup, my daughter has bad acne and i made them for her and it cleared her up etc.."

i knew of her good intentions and wanted to thank her, but at that point i wanted to seriously punch her and told her i have tried almost and anything n leave me the crap alone. but of cos, i didnt.

anyway, i went on a green bean soup diet anyways. wouldnt say it helped. but it sure made me feel less heaty. now i have my mom make it for me every wk.

will let u guys know if it helps.

chen

It's funny that you say how pissed off you are t this woman, yet she gave you advice that you are actually following. It sounds to me like she helped you. And if that's the most upsetting thing someone has said, you are lucky my friend.

I understand how you're feeling Chensg, even though we know a lot of these people have good intentions, we go day to day trying to ignore the fact that our acne is there. When someone innocently points it out...we want to explode.

at my stage everytime feedbacks are received, i tried to act like im taking it as a pinch of salt n acne really doesnt bother me, but when i get home i tend to want to do the research to see if its really true. like many of us here, we have tried any and everything. a lot of times, these lil feedbacks act like a glimmer of hope for many of us, u hate it that they say it, but u hope this could be 'it'. im sure u know what i mean. being light colored doesnt help either, u get scrutinize for every lil unflattering red bump on ur skin, it sucks.

but i will urge all of u to try the green bean soup method, firstly its easy to make, n secondly its a good substitute for carbs compared to the junks u eat that might really break u out. i am a believer that food really does break us out, regardless of all the bollocks medical sci theory that rejects this idea. go easy on the sugar tho. i know for a fact in TCM it is known to be a heat-reducer and acne fighter, meaning it calms ur body down and rid of toxics, get this sorted out and perhaps, we will have reduce another reason for those damn bacterias to have a reason to come back and haunt us.

a little kid asked me if I had chicken pox on my face and then his mom proceeded to laugh as if the comment her son made was funny.

I didn't find it funny... great parenting :naughty:

a little kid asked me if I had chicken pox on my face and then his mom proceeded to laugh as if the comment her son made was funny.

20 years from now that very same kid will be desperately trying to log into acne.org and seek help about the dozens nodules on his face :P

20 years from now that very same kid will be desperately trying to log into acne.org and seek help about the dozens nodules on his face :P

Teehee probably will XD

@chensg have you looked into turmeric for acne??? :idea:

Anyway mine would have to be: i was in the walmart parking lot approaching the store when this lady stops me and says " i see you are suffereing from acne. here you should try mary kay products. they get rid of acne" and hands me her damn mary kay booklet.... the nerve :snooty:

I asked my cousin to help me get some sunscreen on my back. She said she hates doing that, and went on this whole rant about bacne. I don't have bacne, my back is actually perfect, you jerk. But she's always missing her mark on being polite and curteous though, so I just equate that incident to the fact that my cousin is retarded.

People usually don't bring it up. I usually just get the looks--the eye contant you make right when you catch them staring at your skin? Yeah, that one.

Edited by sgoodleitz

"what happened to you???"

"have you been fighting???"[coz i've got so many scars..and a new one every night coz i just don't know how to stop picking my face...by the way i'm also a martial artist and i tend to pick fights:D( if anyone needs my help, feel free to contact me..seriously!!!!!]

hahaha that's what i always get to hear..

and yeah the looks..but more to do out of fear.."here comes scar-face !!Run!!!!!!!!!"

In all seriousness: Have you stopped eating what the gentleman in question mentioned?

Being that he is elderly, he probably didn't mean it in an offensive manner. What you are referring to can be taken

as an annoyance and others have and will vouch including myself.

In all honesty, it hurts more coming from those who don't care about the person there saying it too and more about that fact they just say to show we're not doing take care of ourselves or to feel higher.

Which, people posting on this board can be tempted to do the exact same thing by different forms of posting to one another.

Sometimes, all you can do is smile and say I appreciate your information; Though, for myself I find hard time believing that for myself or don't completely agree. Glad that it worked for your so-so or i'll think about that alittle more.

This is an example of turning something that is either taken as a negative or brought on to be negative or both as a postive response.

It's about the hardest thing to do but it'll be better for both parties in the long run. Or, if you don't know that you can be honest with that statement, Just nodd and say "you don't say".

Being someone who has suffered from acne for about 9 years, there is a lot of truth in the man's statement.

Though, atleast he didn't appear to have shown qualities like the second type of person; Which, we tend to complain more about.

Edited by BeautifulPerseverance619

Teehee probably will XD

Anyway mine would have to be: i was in the walmart parking lot approaching the store when this lady stops me and says " i see you are suffereing from acne. here you should try mary kay products. they get rid of acne" and hands me her damn mary kay booklet.... the nerve :snooty:

tumeric? i only know that to be some kind of spice used for seasoning, right? maybe u can start to enlighten us on some of its properties and how u use turmeric for ur acne? im extremely keen, having gone from applying weird concoction on my face and drinking chlorophyll, im willing to try anything! however, im currently on differin thus i wouldnt want to tamper with anything topical on my face at the moment. that said, im sure lots of ppl are keepin a keen eye on this post. pls share!

Guest Timehealsall

The worst thing imo was something this one girl said.

It was in highschool and to this very day, i still fucking remember it.

I had 4 BIG ASS pustules on my cheeks, the ones that are huge but take a week and half to two weeks to go away.

Basically, i was sitting next to her and struck a conversation with her. So we are talking about random stuff related to the class, and she keeps glancing at my pustules over and over and over. Then, out of fucking no where, she tells me "btw, you should really wash your face more often, BEING DIRTY usually causes gross pimples."

FML

Has anyone ever been in an awkward situation like this:

You are talking to someone and they start talking about someone else's acne in a bad way. Only to realize what they're saying and try to reassure you that your acne is not that bad and you are awesome regardless?

Haha, that has happened on a few occasions to me, usually with good friends though so I'm able to laugh it off with them. After a nice punch in the arm of course... ;)

I don't remember any strangers saying anything worse than "have you tried Proactiv". Looks can be telling enough sometimes though. Whatevs tho, I say fluck em.

Several times heres mine:

1- Little kid stares at my face and asks why i have that on my face.

2. Cashier tells me i should use proactive for my skin.

3. Customer gives me his business card and tries to sell me diet pills, vegetable pills, stomach cleanses.

4. While getting a haircut person tell me that her son had acne and that he started using snake oil soap.

5. Co worker tells me her son had really bad acne until he stopped eating sweets and junk food.

6. Customers says why i have that on my face and tells me to try proactive.

7. Door to door salesman knocks on the door and when i open and he sees me he says "I can help you get rid of those bumps on your face".

8. Manager at work says my face is interesting to look at.

9. Customer tells me to use Witch Hazel for my acne.(Twice)

10. Old lady (customer) who uses a motor cart to move around tells me she can tell me how to get rid of my zits. (While im working in front of a lot of people). She tells me to use Body wash on my face.

11. While helping a customer he tells me he sell really good facials that can clear my acne. He said he works for Jafra.

All of this in a 2 year span.

Edited by acnegonenow

Awkward moments:

1. Friend tells me this one girls used to be really hot but now she has acne. :shifty:

2. Girl sitting next to me starts whining about how she got one tiny pimple. (meanwhile I'm covering my self with my hands) :shifty:

3. Two of my friends talk about weight lifting supplements and how some of them cause nasty acne..while im right there. :whistle:

4. Stripper puts breasts on my face (friends birthday party) :wub:

5. Being on school videos (Media/production/announcements)

Awkward moments:

1. Friend tells me this one girls used to be really hot but now she has acne. :shifty:

2. Girl sitting next to me starts whining about how she got one tiny pimple. (meanwhile I'm covering my self with my hands) :shifty:

3. Two of my friends talk about weight lifting supplements and how some of them cause nasty acne..while im right there. :whistle:

4. Stripper puts breasts on my face (friends birthday party) :wub:

5. Being on school videos (Media/production/announcements)

Haha I forgot about those situations... you almost can't feel bad for them, but then, one pimple is a terrible thing for someone who never gets em I suppose.

Teehee probably will XD

tumeric? i only know that to be some kind of spice used for seasoning, right? maybe u can start to enlighten us on some of its properties and how u use turmeric for ur acne? im extremely keen, having gone from applying weird concoction on my face and drinking chlorophyll, im willing to try anything! however, im currently on differin thus i wouldnt want to tamper with anything topical on my face at the moment. that said, im sure lots of ppl are keepin a keen eye on this post. pls share!

I've been using turmric for my BAD PIH scarring and its worked increeeedibly!!! You have no idea. Of course, logically, the fading of the scars using turmeric won't happern over night. You have to be consitent with it. I've been using it since Feburary... and honeslty I'm expecting my skin to be free of scars hopefully in the summer (September at the latest)... anyway I love it because it's natural. You can buy it in its natural state- a root- or already in powder form from your local supermarket (publix, sweetbay, stores like that). After i've washed my face with my cleanser (right now im currently using proactiv's cleanser) I mix the (powdered) turmeric with a little of milk to make a paste. I apply it and leave it for like 15 min.After 15min, i wash it off and apply baking soda paste (b. soda w/ water... which i also leave for 15min) and wash my face to get rid of the light yellow stains. I also apply NATURAL vitamin e oil afterwards (d alpha tocopheryl acetate NOT dL alpha tocopheryl acetate- which is the synthetic one that causes break outs D:< ) on my face and leave overnight so that my face won't dry...Trust me even tho its "oil" it doesn't cause break outs cuz A- its natural instead of synthetic and B- vitamin e is used to get rid of scars.....

Anyway( sry for that info. overlaod lol)..while I began using turmeric for my scars, i noticed it got rid of my acne!(mild/moderate, sometimes slightly severe with occasional cysts :wacko: ) ... well idk if its the turmeric by itself or my turmeric/b.soda/vit. e oil regimen that I've made... Turns out turmeric is great against acne since its a natural antiseptic, antiinflammatory and antibacterial agent.....

Okie doke.. so hopefully this "brief" response to your post was a helpful... Please let me know what your thoughts are ... and btw if you wanna do more research on turmeric google it, or look it up on this website-http://www.acne.org/messageboard/turmeric-magic-healing-t221077.html <--GREAT thread)

SN- just wanna say that just b/c i am currently using proactiv's cleanser doens't mean thats what "helped" me... NO! it was turmeric... i just happen to be using their cleanser b/c its already been paid for -.- argh(wat a waste of $$) but afterwords im just gonna buy a regualr cleanser like neutrogena or something.... the only reason why i don't ONLY rely on my turmeric/b.soda/vit. e oil regimen is because i liking washing the make up from my face first with a cleanser..

[email protected] chensg or anybody else for that matter... i rly, rly, RLY hope you guys will try this... just give it a try for one week... just one week... if it doesn't help you for the better but makes things "worst"(i wouldn't see how.. but then again everyone's body is differnt) then obviously stop using the turmeric... but if it helps than AWESOME! :dance:

...if anybody is confused by anything i wrote, or has any questions feel free to PM me. :) Much luck!! may this be your last search for great skin :pray:

Edited by dragonfly21

I was at a friends house a couple years ago having dinner rounf the table and his little sister says infront of everyone 'do you know your face is covered in spots!' I said 'yesss, and you'll get them when you're a teenager' lol I know she's just a kid so tried not to take offence. :|

I also built up the courage to go to work without make up on (few months ago), I cycled there too so my face was much redder but my collegue stopped and stared and said my skin has got sooo much worse, to which I proceeded to cry. lol she felt really bad afterwards though. You can't just say things like that to people! especially when they are oviously affected by it! grrrrr :angry:

Also @ dragonfly21 can I mix tumeric with water? I don't like the idea of mixing it with milk, I avoid milk like the plague lol I'm going to go do some research on it now. I love all the natural stuff, it's much better than man made chemical products.

@teapot33

sure! ppl mix it with whatever they like/is covient for them.... i've heard of water/lemon juice/ cucumber juice ... stuff like that.. i personally wouldn't mix it with L. juice since it seems a little harsh plus i also heard that putting lemon on ur face makes it darker if in sunlight(thats wat i heard- don't know if true or not. def not gonna find out)

check out that thread i posted on there.. so many differnt ways ppl use it for PIH scars and acne. much luck to ya:)

@teapot33

sure! ppl mix it with whatever they like/is covient for them.... i've heard of water/lemon juice/ cucumber juice ... stuff like that.. i personally wouldn't mix it with L. juice since it seems a little harsh plus i also heard that putting lemon on ur face makes it darker if in sunlight(thats wat i heard- don't know if true or not. def not gonna find out)

check out that thread i posted on there.. so many differnt ways ppl use it for PIH scars and acne. much luck to ya:)

Thanks alot. What do you mean by PIH scars?

@teapot33

post inflammatory hyperpigmentation scars- the red/dark red/brown/purplish scars that take a century to go away on their own -_____-

@teapot33

post inflammatory hyperpigmentation scars- the red/dark red/brown/purplish scars that take a century to go away on their own -_____-

oooh yer, i'm covered in them, cheekc, back and chest. Will certainly be tryin tumeric! :) cheers!