Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redskin

What do antidepressants do exactly?

There are a lot of days where i feel down and stuff, dont like who i am. I am not suicidal, but me being down all the time sometimes affects my work, and school. Do antidepressants make you cheerful? Do they make you more outgoing, more social?

They don't magically make you more outgoing, social, or happy.

They work by correcting problems with the transmission of neurotransmitters that control mood.

There's a difference between being sad and actually being clinically depressed. You should try therapy first, before just looking for a quick fix with a medication.

If you're looking for a quick fix, it's not going to happen.

To my surprise, they've really helped my younger brother although his problems aren't related to acne or scarring. I think if you think you need counseling or something it's definitely something to look into. I know I'm considering it.

Yeah i read up on some information about antidepressants, they actually sound pretty bad, pretty dangerous. Does counseling or therapy or whatever actually help? Does it build some confidence?

Anti-depressants aren't really dangerous. If you're concerned about the increased risk of suicidal thoughts, that's why you need to be in therapy as well and under close doctor supervision.

Having said that, however, I think counseling or therapy should be tried alone first for a while. Therapy helps by talking through what you feel, why you feel it, and how to fix it. Then your therapist helps guide you on the path to recovery.

Hi Im getting my doctorate in psychology (should have it by August, yay!!) and I know a little about antidepressants and therapy. Antidepressants are a good tool that helps control depressive symptoms for people if there is an imbalance with your neurotransmitters. Antidepressants will help with the symptoms, but they will never get at the root cause, so my suggestion is go to a psychologist or social worker (licensed social workers are good and usually cheaper than a psychologist if money is an issue) and talk to them about your symptoms. Then ask the psychologist or social worker if they think medications are approporiate and he/she might send you to consult with a psychiatrist. But the first step is going to therapy to talk about your symptoms and discuss medications, heck it never hurts to talk to professionals about this, thats why they are there. Good luck with everything!!