Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PartTimeDreamer

No, Accutane Doesn't Always Work.

Hey guys, I'm Kat.

I started getting acne in 5th grade, and had developed severe Cystic acne by 6th. Acne runs in my family, and I could not out-run my own genetics, unfortunately.

I tried Differin, BP-everything, SA-everything, Birth control, solidyn, over the counter, everything. I was fed up and went to the big boy of all acne remedies. I got on accutane in 8th grade and had 6 months of hell on it before my face was totally clear [pic attached]. I was baby smooth, and I loved it. My doctor rushed me off of it because I was beginning to have more serious side effects.

No joke, one and a half weeks later I had a nodule. I couldn't believe it.

In the back of my mind I heard my dermatologist's brief words the week before I started Accutane ''It's only effective in keeping people clear 80% of the time."

The good thing is, besides that one pimple, I've NEVER had another nodule/cyst/second head. So I no longer have cystic acne but I do have acne.

I just thought that I'd warn you so you knew that there's a real chance it may not work completely for you.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. :]

post-148100-1301461479_thumb.jpg

post-148100-1301461479_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it might not work, but then again for every ten people it works for eight of them (according to your derm) and that is not bad. Perhaps in the future you may want to take a repeat course of accutane if your derm feels that it will help you and if you can deal with the side effects. Accutane is not perfect, but it is still the best thing out there for dealing with chronic and severe acne.

Joe Zit

You have the most beautiful smile Kat. I'm really sorry you had to go through all this. I have heard that for some people accutane clears them and for others it might improve it but not completely. Any improvement is better than no improvement though.

I've heard that the younger you take it the more likely you are going to have acne again at some point. I'm 24 so I'm hoping it will work!

A lot of people actually have to go on Accutane for a second time (or I've even heard of 3x...). I was on it for almost 8 months at a really high dose before mine cleared up. Now less than 2 years later, I am getting cystic acne again. Going on Accutane again is NOT an option, those were the worst 8 months of my life!!!

^ same thing happened to me too. my cystic acne returned but i refused to do another round of it.

I have mild acne again after ending accutane January 2009. Accutane was the best acne fighting treatment I've ever taken despite me still suffering from bouts of it here and there. Just recently I got a cyst and mild breakout, but I'm on Tretinoin and Bactrim now and that has cleared me up.

Would I go for a second round? As much as I loved Accutane, it was a huge hassle but 3 years ago I had nothing to lose. I had bad cystic acne. I have a lot to lose now, including my health which still hasn't returned from Accutane. Accutane made my triglycerides and cholesterol sky rocket to over 300, my derm was concerned during my course but kept me on it. Hasn't caused me problems but even if I really wanted or needed Accutane again, I probably wouldn't be allowed too because everything is still elevated. It's also a hassle overall, with the iPledge program and whatnot. Yes I know it's to protect birth defects, but I just hate the whole process, especially the month long waiting, the blood tests, this and that. If there was no iPledge or waiting, I'd deal with the blood tests, I'd be more up to doing a second round to knock acne out for good. Right now isn't a good time for me. Maybe in the future.

Hi Kat...I'm sorry you're still dealing with this after your course of tane. It is very important to realize you took your course at a very young age when there are a lot of other factors contributing to your acne...especially hormones. Another course (or two) might have to be employed to do the trick...the younger you start, the more chances of relapse I was told. I'm 24 and I'm prepared that after my first course which is ending next month that I might have to do another one. But that's good you did that...hopefully it will help prevent scarring.

Hi Kat...I'm sorry you're still dealing with this after your course of tane. It is very important to realize you took your course at a very young age when there are a lot of other factors contributing to your acne...especially hormones. Another course (or two) might have to be employed to do the trick...the younger you start, the more chances of relapse I was told. I'm 24 and I'm prepared that after my first course which is ending next month that I might have to do another one. But that's good you did that...hopefully it will help prevent scarring.

Accutane clears people; the real question is whether you will relapse post-treatment. Assuming you get a decent cumulative dose, whether you relapse depends partly on your age and partly on your pre-treatment acne severity, with younger people and/or people with severe acne more likely to relapse post-treatment.

~20% of Accutane users end up using it again, usually within 3 years, in an attempt to achieve permanent remission.

The best summary article to read would be this.

Edited by jimmy188