Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ella27

Is it normal to not want to go to school because of acne?

This happens often and though I have gotten a bit better with it I find myself constantly saddened about going to school. It seems that even though I have been told that people break out in high school more and more no one seems to break out in my school. Of course I am just generalizing but in my classes I can tell that I have some of the worse skin. It doesn't make me feel better when I see all the other girls with awesome skin or at least a heck of a lot better then mine.

Even though my friends don't mind my skin I find it a huge issue so much so that I feel like I have big red signs on my face. Which I guess is partly true.

Do others do this as well??? I haven't actually stayed home but some days my mom forces me out the door. Haha I sure make her morning's fun.

I also find that I don't like to go anyway. I like staying home mostly because I am self-concious of my appearance. So does everybody have these types of feelings when they breakout or am I just depressed??

Thank you! :)

I can't really remember not wanting to go to school specifically, although I'm sure there were days when I didn't want to, no doubt. I was bullied because of my skin which only made things worse. To be honest, I think I've blanked out a lot of that experience because I genuinely have trouble remembering how I looked or how I felt back then. I skipped classes or days because of bullies or problems with study though.

I have had days when I didn't want to go to work, and that's the same principle as not wanting to go to school. And for the same reason too. In the five years I've been employed, I've missed just two days because of my skin. That's nothing at all, considering most days during that time have felt like a battle to go out.

I'm quite sure that as more people read this topic, you will hear plenty of stories of how people skip school or work from time to time, or at the very least how they struggle to find that courage to walk out the door and face everyone each morning, due to feeling insecure about their skin and so on.

What I will say, is that although it might feel like staying at home will help in some way, if you were to start doing that, it would start to happen often and you'd fall behind with your education. Don't let that happen. We often let acne take a lot of things from us in life and we allow it to have control. I know all about that because I let it take my teenage years. Please do not let it take your education. Because when your skin gets better - and it will - you'd regret not making the most of your teenage years.

I reckon your mom's really cool for pushing you out the door and making sure you get to school! ;)

Believe me, it's not odd to feel the way you do and you are certainly not on your own in feeling the way you do. :)

Edited by PaulH85

Of course! Hell I wanted to stay home today but I couldn't [i can't really miss any class].

All I know is that staying home may feel like it's a good idea, to opt out of social interactions, but when it comes down to it, staying home isn't going to cure your acne. You've gotta live life while you can.

Totally normal. I'm not even in school anymore, but I feel the same about work. But the sad part is you just have to suck it up.

But I do think everyone deserves a mental health day every once in a while...

Yeah, I avoid leaving the house unless I absolutely must when my acne is bad (which, at the moment, is all the time).

Today I didn't want to go to a job interview because I have 3 huge breakouts on my chin. I've been pretty much clear since August, so having these 3 huge red bumps there really brought me down. It made me feel better to see that the lady interviewing me didn't have perfect skin, either.

Phew! For a moment there, I thought you were going to say that you didn't go to the interview!

You think it went alright? :)

Today I didn't want to go to a job interview because I have 3 huge breakouts on my chin. I've been pretty much clear since August, so having these 3 huge red bumps there really brought me down. It made me feel better to see that the lady interviewing me didn't have perfect skin, either.

Phew! For a moment there, I thought you were going to say that you didn't go to the interview!

You think it went alright? :)

It seemed to go quite well, thanks! She said she'll call me tomorrow. She seemed pretty eager to hire me, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high... just in case. Haha.

I can't really remember not wanting to go to school specifically, although I'm sure there were days when I didn't want to, no doubt. I was bullied because of my skin which only made things worse. To be honest, I think I've blanked out a lot of that experience because I genuinely have trouble remembering how I looked or how I felt back then. I skipped classes or days because of bullies or problems with study though.

I have had days when I didn't want to go to work, and that's the same principle as not wanting to go to school. And for the same reason too. In the five years I've been employed, I've missed just two days because of my skin. That's nothing at all, considering most days during that time have felt like a battle to go out.

I'm quite sure that as more people read this topic, you will hear plenty of stories of how people skip school or work from time to time, or at the very least how they struggle to find that courage to walk out the door and face everyone each morning, due to feeling insecure about their skin and so on.

What I will say, is that although it might feel like staying at home will help in some way, if you were to start doing that, it would start to happen often and you'd fall behind with your education. Don't let that happen. We often let acne take a lot of things from us in life and we allow it to have control. I know all about that because I let it take my teenage years. Please do not let it take your education. Because when your skin gets better - and it will - you'd regret not making the most of your teenage years.

I reckon your mom's really cool for pushing you out the door and making sure you get to school! ;)

Believe me, it's not odd to feel the way you do and you are certainly not on your own in feeling the way you do. :)

Thank you! You were advice was really wonderful! And yes my mom is great but I really do annoy her. I'm glad others can relate and it saddens me that such great people get bullied. Luckily Im not subject to that. Mostly its my own mind doing the bullying. I'll try to do my best to not let it take over my education. I'm taking very interesting classes (Current affairs and Hon. Western thought) and I find focusing on friends and school make me happier. Its just those days when you breakout and go " If this doesn't heal I cannot go to school ". But I am glad that my mom followed the advice that you gave me. She said if I miss one day I'll try to miss em all. Ill make sure to not let acne ruin my education. :)

Totally normal. I'm not even in school anymore, but I feel the same about work. But the sad part is you just have to suck it up.

But I do think everyone deserves a mental health day every once in a while...

Haha I know friends that do that. I think one day, especially mondays, were I just do not feel like going to school maybe not just cause of my face but just because you have that gut feeling then thats okay. Its understandable :P

Guest Timehealsall

i ditched 40 days in my 12 grade year and 35 days in 11th grade.

Almost got completely kicked out of school too.

..>

Best of luck with the job! Maybe she connected with you since you both have acne. That maybe a pro to having acne as surprisingly as it sounds. :) My skin isn't awful like some pictures I have seen. I don't have severe scarring or anything. Just clogged pores on my forehead and chin, my face looks somewhat greasy and well my pores are huge and what not and I get pustules but I can't go a couple of days without a nodule or cyst. Now that I take pills they have gone down but its uh.... my time again and BAM I get 3 small ones. 2 on my cheek and 1 on my forehead. Dumb little me tried to pop them ( I know its bad but I always have done it ) not I got red spots on my chin. The rest of my skin looks great ( except for the pores though my mineral make up goes over that) except for the huge red dots!

Any who ( I apologize for the pointless story ) I almost didn't go see my friend who lives 300 miles away who I haven't seen in months and have a fun night shopping if I didn't suck it up. I guess if you let acne depress you then you'll live a very depressing life. Its still hard though.

I used to be scared of going to school cos' I got harassed a lot FROM my appearance.

You really shouldn't try to skip school just because of others,because that's a habit that might follow you through life in other scenarios. =P

i think one day every so often is fine...just be sure there's no underlying problem such as depression thats making you want to stay home. i skipped a lot of school in year 12 "because of my skin", yet i'm sitting here right now skipping uni and my skin is 95% clear. i always told myself that once i had nice skin i'd have no problem going out, but i still do. the real problem was, and still is, depression.

and even if that's not the case, it's so easy to make a habit of it. your mum is right, if you miss one day you'll start missing every day. :angel:

Thank you. My mom did take me to a therapist cause I was showing signs of a depression. It would make a bad habit :)

Good for you for having a mom that genuinely cares! I wanted to stay home multiple times my 10th and 11th grade year after failed attempts to cover my acne. My mom still pushed me to go to school though. I just avoided looking in the mirrors. :)

i think one day every so often is fine...just be sure there's no underlying problem such as depression thats making you want to stay home. i skipped a lot of school in year 12 "because of my skin", yet i'm sitting here right now skipping uni and my skin is 95% clear. i always told myself that once i had nice skin i'd have no problem going out, but i still do. the real problem was, and still is, depression.

and even if that's not the case, it's so easy to make a habit of it. your mum is right, if you miss one day you'll start missing every day. :angel:

Thank you. My mom did take me to a therapist cause I was showing signs of a depression. It would make a bad habit :)

Here's an update: I GOT THE JOB!

Now, if I would have let my acne keep me at home feeling depressed, I would have missed this opportunity! Don't let your acne make you miss out on life and on great opportunities!

:D Yay! Brilliant news! Congratulations! :dance:

Now, if I would have let my acne keep me at home feeling depressed, I would have missed this opportunity! Don't let your acne make you miss out on life and on great opportunities!

Edited by PaulH85

Wow congratulations!

YAY i am so happy for you=D so glad u decided to go to the interview!! yayyy

yes its normal... i took off 50 days in my last year of highschool.

and plus more where i took half day off cause i fake sick to get home lol

i know what you are feeling. i can so put myself in ur shoes.

i am currently in my study period preparing myself for the final 3 papers. This last semester has been a nightmare, as i had a sudden nodule break out that really blew my confidence to pieces. and i mean, P-I-E-C-E-S. this was supposed to be the best time of my life, but it really became a living nightmare. i mean, i have to resort to things like coming to lectures real early to get a seat where i wouldnt be in the center of attention and only leave when everybody has left so i do not have to make eye contacts with my friends who will ask me "what happened to ur face?" many times i just wish they would leave me alone. anways, last week was the last class and i have a full month of studying time and hopefully i wouldnt look too hideous then. i have just started seeing a derm who got me differin and erthyomycin.but i have to admit all this nodule on my face have even affected my mood to study, nowadays i just feel like throwing all the books out and get wasted because i look hideous and it hurt so bad even when i smile. its depressing.