Notifications
Clear all

Dang you, almond milk!

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 03/28/2011 11:46 pm

I used to have moderate back acne, but once I balanced my omega 3 : omega 6 ratio with fish oil, it completely went away. The only thing is, I can't eat foods high in omega 6, or the balance will once again be thrown off. So the other day I had some almond milk, forgetting I was drinking crushed almonds, and it resulted in some back acne. A better alternative is probably oat milk, which is a bit more flavorful than coconut. I'm not 100% sure if soy's bad, so i'll stay away from it for now.

MemberMember
(@athletichunta)

Posted : 03/29/2011 2:14 am

I used to have moderate back acne, but once I balanced my omega 3 : omega 6 ratio with fish oil, it completely went away. The only thing is, I can't eat foods high in omega 6, or the balance will once again be thrown off. So the other day I had some almond milk, forgetting I was drinking crushed almonds, and it resulted in some back acne. A better alternative is probably oat milk, which is a bit more flavorful than coconut. I'm not 100% sure if soy's bad, so i'll stay away from it for now.

Soy is bad, and almond milk is more favored from my knowledge. Ive never heard of this. It might have been the added sugar?.

What brand did you get?. I use the 35 calorie No sugar added stuff. I'ts extremely pure and wholesome.

It has the wonderful taste of almonds, with being completely sugarless.

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 03/29/2011 2:59 am

I have no idea how you guys control every variable to such a degree that you're satisfied about isolating one food and deciding it caused a breakout. I'm not saying its not possible, I just don't understand how you do it. When I was breaking out, so much of it was utterly random and unrelated to my diet choices, or perhaps related with long stretches of time in between cause and effect (and making things even more complicated, different time delays for different foods). Not to mention all the other variables.

But anyway, soy milk is also pretty high in omega-6 (like soy oil), and has other potential problems (anti-nutrients, phytoestrogens, blah blah blah).

Have you tried hemp milk? It's reasonably omega-3 rich and otherwise nutritious. But it's quite expensive, and IMHO tastes terrible. It's an option though.

And coconut milk is bland? wth

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/29/2011 11:13 am

Hemp milk is great stuff. I love it more then any other milk I've ever had, and I've had a lot lol. I've tried cow's, coconut, almond, hemp, chia, hazlenut, soy milk. Hemp was by far my favorite. But now when I make milk I mix it up. I'll put hulled hemp seeds, almonds, walnuts, coconut, make a batch of a variety flavored milk.

If your buying your almond milk in the stores, like blue diamond, that's probably your problem. I read the ingredients one time and laughed. A bunch of crap and chemicals they throw in there. Make your own, go organic.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 03/29/2011 12:30 pm

Did you make the almond milk yourself or is it store bought? If it is store bought, then there are about 15 other ingredients in it. One of the ingredients is a barley enzyme which can cause anyone who is gluten sensitive to break out or have a really big reaction.

The store bought milks are all processed. You should make your milk at home in the blender.

Almond milk is 1 cup almonds, 4 cups water.

Or cashew milk is really creamy: 1 cup cashews, 4 cups water.

I really suggest avoiding the store bought nut and soy milks.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/29/2011 12:46 pm

Hemp milk is great stuff. I love it more then any other milk I've ever had, and I've had a lot lol. I've tried cow's, coconut, almond, hemp, chia, hazlenut, soy milk. Hemp was by far my favorite. But now when I make milk I mix it up. I'll put hulled hemp seeds, almonds, walnuts, coconut, make a batch of a variety flavored milk.

If your buying your almond milk in the stores, like blue diamond, that's probably your problem. I read the ingredients one time and laughed. A bunch of crap and chemicals they throw in there. Make your own, go organic.

Could you add your milk recipes to the drink recipe thread? There are several there are already.

MemberMember
(@dotty1)

Posted : 03/29/2011 12:47 pm

Could you add your milk recipes to the drink recipe thread? There are several there are already.

Okay 🙂

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 09/10/2014 8:59 pm

i'm about to give a go to almond milk. Need to start making fruit smoothies.....