Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeanMrMustard

Stop washing your face??

I have struggled with drastically oily skin, over the past several years. Since the age of about 17, the oil secretion has increased steadily, to the point at which it exists today, at the age of 21. I began to see small pimples appear around my jaw line, shortly after the onset of this superfluous oil secretion. Looking back, these pimples and excessive oil, seemed to coincide rather conspicuously, with the commencement of facial cleaners, which I had began, due to barley noticeable blemishes I had prior to this. At the age of around 18, I took it upon myself to see a doctor, following the advice of my hypochondriac, prescription mad sister! I was prescribed differin cream and some antibiotic (of which the name slips mind). Thereupon, low and behold, my acne got a little bit worse and my skin got it little oilier; clearly I was on the right path I concluded. It gets worse before it gets better right? ........ A year later .......... I'm using the oil off my face to fry chips, and the puss from my CYSTS as mayonnaise (lovely thought). Obviously I'm horsing around, but this was now a possibility, if ever I was ever low on mayonnaise. At this point I’m almost 20 and my skin is an abomination. I have cysts on my neck and around my jaw line, blackheads on my nose and forehead and unbearable oily skin. My skin has become a ball and chain at this point, in which I have to cart around unwillingly, along with a bar of soap in my pocket. Long overdue, I realize here, I’m doing something wrong. I’m now 20 and I decide to make a change. I throw away my creams, washes, and lotions, and Flush my pills. I put down the weights I was lifting and put on my running shoes. Furthermore, drastic restrictions are made on my diet; I’m eating mostly fruits and vegetable etc. (Complaining about my itchy, oily and burdensome skin has become commonplace at this point. To which is met by many with a remark like “you need to learn how to be comfortable in your own skin.†To which I often reply, “how can one be comfortable one’s own skin, if one’s skin is literally uncomfortable?â€) Anyhow, I am washing my face (excessively) with only water at this point and strictly monitoring any possible skin irritants (which includes an endless list, which I’m sure many of you are familiar with). Results are variable. Cysts decreasing! Oil and blackheads increasing! This brings us up to the present …… Still some shrivelled Cysts, in the neck and jaw area; the very same ones that have been there for about a year, albeit decreased in size. Skin as oily as ever, perhaps even more so.

I look at all the wild animals and people and notice none of them seem to struggle with this ailment (unless they do and I’m just ignorant of it). So here we are, I’m deciding to go all-natural. No washing AT ALL!! Lets see what tidings this little experiment brings. I shall update in intervals I find fitting, for anyone who is interested, or considering this route for themselves.

Thanks for listening

Phil

Interesting read my man! I'm actually trying to find a new, "lighter" regime because, just like you, seem to see the correlation with washing my face with cleansers etc. and increasing acne. Good luck brotha! Let us know how you come out.

~ Erik

Well first let me urge you not to stop washing UNLESS your 100% you can tough it out for the entire time necessary. Your theory is very correct in a way. Have you ever heard of cosmetic acne? Well its a newly discovered sort of man-made acne - that I think myself as well as you may have. Basically I started with barley noticeable and occasional whiteheads, started with strydex pads, then purpose soap, then benzyol peroxide, then pro-active, the murad, the clindamyocin. And now my acne is very different/worse from the first acne I had and even my acne from just 2 years ago. Basically what my point is, is that cosmetic acne is educed by applying the loads of chemicals within all the typical acne products to your skin every day for years - this alters your skins chemical makeup, and changes the way it operates - in example your oil glans may now be in perminant overdrive from years of using something like benyzol peroxide and drying out your skin on a daily bass. Bottom line with this, is that if its true were boned, nothing we can do.

As far as quitting washing your face, I'm going to give you the simple answer first. Your acne will get 1000X worse, but you will have clear skin sooner, than you would have other wise. Have a dermo show you on blue light, what most people don't know is your acne is already there way before you see it. Its under the skin, its there, its inevitable, not visible and you can't get rid of it while its under the skin. The acne in this state causes you little harm but once it gets infected, or irritated in some way is when it comes to the surface and becomes inflamed. Slowly this will happen to all of your acne under the skin. most of the treatments you use do not get rid of this acne under the skin, they just prevent it from getting irritated and coming up but they aren't perfect at this and surely enough some get through. So essentially by using acne prodcuts your just dragging your acne out - this is why acne is so common at a later age than it use to be - the process of your acne coming to the surface is slow enough naturally but we use products that force it out at a much slower rate. When you don't was your face 10 pimples a week, when you wash your face with soap 5 pimples a week, when you use an acne product 3-1 pimples a week, naturally which one are you going to choose? Its just funny to know by choosing the most favorable option your giving yourself less acne now, but stretching its occurrence out well past your twenties. One of my best friends recently confirmed this theory for me, he had way worse acne than me, I have relatively clear skin, but on average have 1-3 really bad pimples on my face - he had both cheeks covered in cystic acne as well as blackheads/whiteheads in the t-zone, well he had to go to army basic training for 3 months in georgia, they don't let you use acne medicine there so he was forced to go without, and his already horrible acne got extrmely bad for the months he couldn't use acne medicine - the hot georgia sun and army training drove all that acne to the surface. when he got back and started using products again i was fuckn shocked he had nearly clear skin, next to perfect (scars did remain, from his cystic). So by now I'm sure you see the point, its like a get it over with quick and horrible, or drag it out annoyingly kind of thing - you have your choice, I'm totally jealous of him though for it.

Not washing my face helps me. I just use tissue to pat away the oilyness in the morning

and at night. I was my face twice a month just to get rid of the dry skin that forms.

I was having really horrible breakouts for months and I tried everything: proactive, murad, even the really expensive dermalogica products didnt help me. About 2 weeks ago I got fed up and just stopped washing my face completely and my skin almost instantly cleared up. I believe Acne creams only irritate the problem and make it worse. If you absolutely must wash your face gently splash warm water or witch hazel (for some people even this can be too irritating). For god sakes don't strip away the protective oils from your face with harsh cleansers and chemicals, it will only make things worse. Leave your face alone and let it heal itself.

I have struggled with drastically oily skin, over the past several years. Since the age of about 17, the oil secretion has increased steadily, to the point at which it exists today, at the age of 21. I began to see small pimples appear around my jaw line, shortly after the onset of this superfluous oil secretion. Looking back, these pimples and excessive oil, seemed to coincide rather conspicuously, with the commencement of facial cleaners, which I had began, due to barley noticeable blemishes I had prior to this. At the age of around 18, I took it upon myself to see a doctor, following the advice of my hypochondriac, prescription mad sister! I was prescribed differin cream and some antibiotic (of which the name slips mind). Thereupon, low and behold, my acne got a little bit worse and my skin got it little oilier; clearly I was on the right path I concluded. It gets worse before it gets better right? ........ A year later .......... I'm using the oil off my face to fry chips, and the puss from my CYSTS as mayonnaise (lovely thought). Obviously I'm horsing around, but this was now a possibility, if ever I was ever low on mayonnaise. At this point I’m almost 20 and my skin is an abomination. I have cysts on my neck and around my jaw line, blackheads on my nose and forehead and unbearable oily skin. My skin has become a ball and chain at this point, in which I have to cart around unwillingly, along with a bar of soap in my pocket. Long overdue, I realize here, I’m doing something wrong. I’m now 20 and I decide to make a change. I throw away my creams, washes, and lotions, and Flush my pills. I put down the weights I was lifting and put on my running shoes. Furthermore, drastic restrictions are made on my diet; I’m eating mostly fruits and vegetable etc. (Complaining about my itchy, oily and burdensome skin has become commonplace at this point. To which is met by many with a remark like “you need to learn how to be comfortable in your own skin.” To which I often reply, “how can one be comfortable one’s own skin, if one’s skin is literally uncomfortable?”) Anyhow, I am washing my face (excessively) with only water at this point and strictly monitoring any possible skin irritants (which includes an endless list, which I’m sure many of you are familiar with). Results are variable. Cysts decreasing! Oil and blackheads increasing! This brings us up to the present …… Still some shrivelled Cysts, in the neck and jaw area; the very same ones that have been there for about a year, albeit decreased in size. Skin as oily as ever, perhaps even more so.

I look at all the wild animals and people and notice none of them seem to struggle with this ailment (unless they do and I’m just ignorant of it). So here we are, I’m deciding to go all-natural. No washing AT ALL!! Lets see what tidings this little experiment brings. I shall update in intervals I find fitting, for anyone who is interested, or considering this route for themselves.

Thanks for listening

Phil

Also, changing your pillowcase once or twice a week will probably help get rid of the pimples on the jawline. It worked for me. Definitely don't wash your face though, I bet you it will get better. just be patient and give it a chance to heal itself. Also check out this article on cracked.com. I know cracked is a snarky humor website but I think the articles are based on actual research and facts. Check out #2 on the list.

cracked.com

I don't know if having oily skin is necessarily bad, but the kind of sebum it is producing can be either clogging or not, and certain foods affect this. For instance, when I eat a lot of dairy or bad foods, I might get pimples, though there isn't any more oil than usual. I've also read somewhere around here that the oil on the surface has no effect on acne; it's actually oil under the skin..

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Don't do that >_<

Just use incredibly mild washes - i have quite oily skin and an amazing wash i use is witch's foam wash - it's got witch hazel extract and it is about as mild as they come, i think you should try using it because it will get rid of any oil on your face at that moment and leaves the skin feeling nice and refreshed.

I also think in your case, you should start using jojoba oil as well - this helps to get rid of excess oils and sebum, is antibacterial and is non-comodogenic so it does not clog pores whatsoever.

Just don't think leaving the skin alone will help - just use incredibly mild products like the ones i stated above :)

I never would recommend seeing the doctor because a few of my friends have had prescriptions and all of them had very bad results. Pills for acne are never really the answer especially for someone around the age of 20 because they can mess with hormones and just cause more crap than good.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Lewis, it's not really appropriate to tell others what they should and should not do, or assume that one routine will not work. You do realize that acne is not really due to poor hygiene, right?

I did not develop acne until I was 14, when I tweezed my eyebrows for the first time. I had not used skincare products up until then, hit puberty when I was 11, and my skin was NORMAL until I started using cleansers. Even with very mild, surfactant-free cleansers, my skin was irritated and broken out and oily.

And also, jojoba oil (and all oils) is NOT for everyone. Jojoba oil's comedogenic and irritation ratings are 0-2 our of 5. Meaning that it can irritate and clog the pores. It did so for me, and left my sebaceous filaments disgusting and clogged even more. There is no way that you can claim that ANYTHING is non-comedogenic. Vaseline is labeled as being entirely non-comedogenic, yet whenever I've used it I've gotten noticeable raised flesh bumps and/or whiteheads from it.

For some people, using products is why they broke out and continue to break out. I've come across so many people posting blog entries or questions on Yahoo!Answers about how they stopped washing their faces (either to the extreme of rarely getting their skin wet or just washing with water in the shower), and their skin cleared up. Hell, my skin has cleared up the most in the last year once I stopped trying to wash my face and stopped staring at myself in the mirror, which is what I'm trying out again now along with a no touching policy to ensure I don't pick at my skin. We could argue that products aren't the answer because they are altering your skin's pH, your skin's natural level of sebum, and removing bacteria that is actually beneficial to the skin. So in this case, I think it's better to either not post at all or simply wish the poster luck even if you don't agree with the approach :)

Obviously acne can be from other causes (hormones, genetics etc...) but leaving a face with excess sebum and oil buildup will not do any good which is why i recommended a mild wash to get rid of the excess without altering the skins natural state which could be done from overusing scrubs etc.

And perhaps your skin may be more sensitive or mildly alergic to oily compounds ? But who knows - jojoba oil may work for this person a treat :)

I do not think in this situation however that just leaving his skin may be beneficial because he has stated that his skin is very oily and if this was left it would obviously clog the pores and form blackheads. I'm guessing that the people who have stopped washing their faces have not have had quite a lot of excess oil and im guessing had sensitive skin to begin with in which case just about any product may cause some problem.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

The first week

I have been washing my face once a day, whilst in the bath, very gently with lukewarm water. The idea behind this is to phase out to no washing at all over time. Moreover, I have noticed irritation has reduced along with a much-improved complexion. However, my forehead and nose are still becoming oily by around 17:00 I take a bath or shower around 20:00. My face stays fairly clear of oil until I hit the sack. Although my face still becomes oily, it remains free of oil for longer periods of time. Furthermore, pores seem less clogged and skin suppler. I still have some cysts on my neck below my jaw line, some of which have been there for a year! However, they are all reducing in size and coming to heads, which I have seldom seen.

I truly believe this regimen is going to by salvation from this BS. Lets see what happens; I shall report back in a few days for any who are interested. I’m reporting this, despite noticing there are several similar threads already out there. Nevertheless they all seem to be people with mild acne, not cystic acne. So I will let you guys know how things go with me.

Don't do that >_<

Just use incredibly mild washes - i have quite oily skin and an amazing wash i use is witch's foam wash - it's got witch hazel extract and it is about as mild as they come, i think you should try using it because it will get rid of any oil on your face at that moment and leaves the skin feeling nice and refreshed.

I also think in your case, you should start using jojoba oil as well - this helps to get rid of excess oils and sebum, is antibacterial and is non-comodogenic so it does not clog pores whatsoever.

Just don't think leaving the skin alone will help - just use incredibly mild products like the ones i stated above :)

I never would recommend seeing the doctor because a few of my friends have had prescriptions and all of them had very bad results. Pills for acne are never really the answer especially for someone around the age of 20 because they can mess with hormones and just cause more crap than good.

LOL, I’ve tried “incredibly mild washes” along with a load of other crap. If acne were about a lack of face washing, or, having a generally dirty face; you’d think all homeless people and tribal people and probably bin men, would have some pretty serious fucking acne cases. However, I don’t believe this to be the case, at least for me. I believe my acne was self-inflicted, from all the crap I’ve smothered it with over the past several years. Yes, I must have had acne prone skin from the get go, but, I can honestly say all of these washes etc, have only made things far worse, by putting my skin into oil overdrive. I’ve never really been one to give too much of a shit, however, having this oil appear on my face every few hours, was becoming a slimy nuisance. It’s now been a couple of weeks, since I began this regimen and at this stage, I’m washing my face very softly, (i.e. slightly splashing it) with lukewarm water once every three days. And I’m telling you; my skin is nowhere near as oily as it was. Furthermore, I haven’t had any new cysts pop up as of yet, and, the ones that have been persistently provoking me, (for over a year in some cases) have decreased dramatically. A few small white heads, have made the odd appearance here and there, but have gone within a day of coming up. And, even those have subsided now. Do you realise how much money these acne product peddlers, are making by keeping people buying their crap? Billions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’d be sure to brainwash as many people as I could also, if I was a cold-hearted, money-retard. However, the universe is way too fanatically trippy, to get tied up in that shit.

I definitely suggest not washing with any cleansers at all, only water. About two weeks ago I quit using cleansers. I used to use a salacytic acne wash in the morning followed by an oil free moisturizer and I would wash again at night and use an overnight 2% salacytic acne cream. I would still get breakouts every now and then and probably had 3 to 5 pimples at any one time, some coming and some going. The biggest problem was my skin was very dry and I could feel it every time I smiled. I also noticed a lot more fine lines on my face. I even tried Cetaphil and Nuetrogena gentle cleansers and they still dried my face out and I still had breakouts. So I quit cold turkey 2 weeks ago.

I only wash my face with warm water once a day at night when I'm in the shower. In the morning I do nothing to it, I brush my teeth, wet my hair to get rid of the bed head and that's it. I go to the gym every other day in the afternoon and when i get back I'm all sweaty I'll splash water on my face.

I have noticed an amazing transformation in my skin. I get very few pimples now if any. If I do get one, it either just disappears on its own in a day or two or it comes to a white head very fast and it pops with really gentle pressure and is completely healed in a day or two. My skin is not dry anymore or red and i have noticed a huge decrease in fine lines because my skin is not dry anymore. It's as if my skin has become very good at managing itself, which I assume is the way nature intended it.

One thing that did happen is after about a week of only rinsing with water I went to the gym like usual and came back and after splashing water on my face I noticed dry skin that sort of looked like wet tissues paper on my skin. I very gently with my thumbnail scraped the dead skin off almost like a paint scraper going only in upward motions on wet skin so it was very gentle...the thin layer of skin came right off as if it wasn't even attached. I did this on my cheeks, nose, and forehead, mostly in my tzone area and the amount of dead dry skin that came off was amazing. Afterwards my skin was a little red but very smooth. That was about a week ago and my skin has been soft and supple since. I have a feeling all the years of using harsh products changed the consistency of the outer layer of my skin and when i stopped using products my body was trying to shed that layer. My skin is finally balancing everything out on it's own and I have noticed very little if any dry skin anymore. I'm not recommending you get rid of the dead skin the way I did, it worked for me but there are many ways to exfoliate so choose the most gentle one for your skin.

So I would suggest atleast trying it. I know all our skin is different so it may not work for everyone but this is the best my face has looked in years and the best part is that I feel so free not having to worry about constantly washing and moisturizing. The worst that can happen is you try it for a few weeks and if you don't see any improvement you can go back to your routine. Even if it doesn't work for you it will probably be good for your skin to just give it a break from all the chemicals for a little while. I would give it atleast 2 to 3 weeks though to give your skin a chance to shed it's outer layer and start repairing itself. Don't freak out after the first few days and go back to your routine. Washing my face and applying products had almost become an addiction for me so I know how hard it is to stop. Just go day by day and try not to look in the mirror too much or worry about your face. I know that's easier said than done.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Guest pokemonster

^ intresting, i deff want to try this at some time too :think: but after u remove that dead skin (like how exactly u do it?) arent those redmarks as red as they were before tho, just not irritated or they have lessened/reduced actually as well?

^^ You might want to try going even longer without removing dead skin. I went 3 weeks at one point when I wasn't washing at all (was sick though as hell, so there was good reason to not bathe haha). After I removed the dead skin, all my blackhead/sebaceous filaments were GONE. So I'm going to try that again for the next month, only I will of course rinse with water when I shower. Just no rubbing or touching at all to make sure the dead skin doesn't come off prematurely. And I find that when I go a while without exfoliating, my red marks look less intense, partly because they are covered up but are also not being irritated.

Thanks for the advice. I'm at the point of washing one in every four days presently. I would like to go to the point in which you speak of. However, the only problem is, I need to shave at least once a week, or I’ll be walking around like St Nick. Now, the problem with shaving is, it irritates the skin, especially if I use shaving foam. So, I shave whilst in the bath, as this method works well and causes no irritation. This is the dilemma. I can clearly see the positive affect this regimen is having on my skin. In fact, my face is almost clear, and I would very much like to extend the no wash period, to INFINITY and BEYOND! However, the Santa Claus look … mehhhh … not so good. So the question here is, how can I achieve the former, without succumbing to the hairy latter? I would ask you for some shaving tips, but I can see you are lacking the testicular experience. Thus, I shall see if I can come up with a sufficient method of shaving. Perhaps I may find a relative thread on this site somewhere. Also, may I ask, how long you've been on this regimen?

P.S. I sent this to wrong person like 3 times LOL. Do you know how to delete posts by any chance? Because I now have loads of random posts that say the sam thing LOL!

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

All this was an interesting read. Thinking about trying something similar, getting fed up with cleansers and what have you.

Have you considered using ACV? It's natural and I've read a lot of good things about it here. Then again, that would take away from the whole au natural thing you've got going on.

Only thing I'm wondering is, what do you do when you shower? Do you just try to keeo your face away from the water? That seems impossible.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Guest T.M.

I'd love to have a go at not washing my face maybe just with a splash of water but I need to shave every day or two as my beard is pretty thick and I just have to use a shaving product. Electric razors burned pretty bad when I tried them.