Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissMoneypenny

Do you have to follow the regimen exactly?

I was wondering if you can kind of warp the regimen to what fits you, or do you have to follow it exactly how Dan does it? I ask this because I only use the BP gel at night, not twice a day like its said. I also don't moisturise at night because Im not going anywhere so I dont need it.

Is this okay? or will I only achieve great skin following Dan's Regimen to a "t"?

I was wondering if you can kind of warp the regimen to what fits you, or do you have to follow it exactly how Dan does it? I ask this because I only use the BP gel at night, not twice a day like its said. I also don't moisturise at night because Im not going anywhere so I dont need it.

Is this okay? or will I only achieve great skin following Dan's Regimen to a "t"?

Well the thing is, is that most moisturisers make me break out. During the day my face collects oil, especially if its a humid day or i'm in a car for like 6 hours, and I break out.

So if I don't use it, you are saying that the dry skin will just produce more oil?

Doesn't Dan say that you don't need to moisturise at night? Either way, you should wear sunblock during the day.

And you may clear up using BP only at night, depending on your skin. You could try it, and then add BP in the morning if it isn't working. Just don't think you are actually following the regimen if you skip your morning BP.

I'm not following it exact.

In fact, I'm not even using any of those moisturizers he mentions.

I use the Purpose soap in the morning, then use St. Yves Moisturizer.

I use the Purpose soap in the evening, then I use Neutrogena Vanishing On The Spot Acne Medication after waiting for 15 minutes. Then, 15 minutes later, I use the St. Yves again.

I was using Cetaphil and it was burning the HELL out of my face.

As far as BP is concerned, you sort of have to find out how much of it you should apply to your face yourself. Different people have different tolerance levels. The same goes on determining whether you should apply it twice a day or not.

The moisturizing part is important, though. If you go long enough applying BP but not moisturizing, theres a possibility of damaging your face. I've heard of people who find later on that their face is extremely dry and they are forced to use moisturizer daily.

The first moisturizer I used (Cetaphil SPF 15) broke me out, but then i switched to Eucerin Skin Renewal SPF 15 and experienced no more break outs. I highly recommend that to you.

You can do whatever you'd like of course, but if you want to be on The Regimen, that means you're following it strictly. That's why I called it a Regimen. It's gotta be followed closely.

My usual advice is to follow the regimen precisely as outlined until you are completely clear. After that point, you can add in or take away 1 variable at a time.

Thanks Dan and Thanks everyone else.

Im going to try to find that Eucerin Skin Renewal SPF 15. I live in Canada so im not sure if we have that product, but I will check.

I guess I want to know what Im looking for in a moisturiser. What should be in it?

MissMoneyPenny: I'm in Canada to and I had a really hard time finding a moisturizer that was oil free. You might want to try looking in Shopper's Drug Mart if you have one near you, they carry Neutrogena "Moisture", it's an oil-free moisturizer, SPF 15. It's not your usual cheap, buy it by the bucket moisturizer, in fact it's pretty expensive, $18 Cdn for 120 ml, but it's really good and I find a little goes a very long way.

Smells nice to. biggrin.gif

it all really depends on your skin type, your acne, and just how your body works. for me, the routine is necessary in maintaining my acne. however, i use salicylic acid in addition to the regimen because of my constantly clogged up pores and excessive oil production. (salicylic acid helps A LOT). so just customize the regimen to your satisfaction.