Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeze

Inexpensive way to treat SCARS!

Alpha-lipoic acid is a very powerful anti-oxidant. It neutralizes free radicals in both the fatty and watery regions of cells (meaning it's both water and fat soluble, it can travel to all parts of the cell (no other vitamin possess this quality)). It has many other effects including reducing insulin resistance (which could cause coronary disease or obesity). Alpha-lipoic acid also shields the liver from cells which are potentionally harmful and assists in flushing toxins. Alpha-lipoic acid diminishes scar tissue when applied topically as well. Recent studies prove that 80% of the representative sample had a decrease in scar tissue while supplementing alpha-lipoic acid. I highly recommend applying this vitamin topically to your scars. People have experienced amazing results in months. Feel free to ask questions.

Guest Scorpioness
Alpha-lipoic acid is a very powerful anti-oxidant. It neutralizes free radicals in both the fatty and watery regions of cells (meaning it's both water and fat soluble, it can travel to all parts of the cell (no other vitamin possess this quality)). It has many other effects including reducing insulin resistance (which could cause coronary disease or obesity). Alpha-lipoic acid also shields the liver from cells which are potentionally harmful and assists in flushing toxins. Alpha-lipoic acid diminishes scar tissue when applied topically as well. Recent studies prove that 80% of the representative sample had a decrease in scar tissue while supplementing alpha-lipoic acid. I highly recommend applying this vitamin topically to your scars. People have experienced amazing results in months. Feel free to ask questions.

I've been using a product containing ALA for about the last year - I don't think it's reduced my pitted scarring by 80%. Basically, I think it's a good ingredient to have in a moisturizer.

i tried perricone's products too and it did swat for scars.. alpha lipoic acid is more of an anti-aging tool..

Um there have been studies on this. I'm sorry it didn't work for some of you though...as for me -- still trying to get rid of the acne and i'll visit you fellas on this board one day.

p.s. to the guy who is taking it orally: it's mostly meant for topical use.

There have been scientific studies that prove snake oil is a safe and effective cure for acne scarring, chronic fatigue syndrome, and herpes. I can get you a bottle for 50 bucks if you want. Got paypal?

No, the scientific studies were base on children with cleft palettes. When they were operated on to fix the problem one group was given a TOPICAL of ALA while the other nothing. In 6 months the group with the ALA had 80% redcution in their scars...It has to be a topical not an iternal, and after an invasive procedure. Not to mention they were children not adults. A calim of scientific studies and actual having one are two different things. I believe the abstract is on pubmed, but then again you might think pubmed pushes snake oil....

Yes - People on the board became familiar with this study, I believe it was some time last year. We read the articles and information. Some people tried Perricone's product, some people tried Puredeming's product, and others made their own "serum". Here are some of the threads which arose from this study:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...pha+lipoic+acid

This site has one of Perricone's articles on the subject:

http://www.imakenews.com/craigwb/index000030829.cfm

I don't think that Pubmed pushes snake oil - not sure why you even said that. I can't find anything on it searching for Alpha-lipoic acid cleft palate, though. I'm not saying it isn't there, but I am getting bored reading about it anyway. Especially since I don't have a cleft palate and am not a child.