Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prettybow

SPIRONOLACTONE users, PLEASE tell me if it worked!

Im hoping and praying that this will be my help that Ive been waiting for. I currently have very oily skin, and cystic acne that doesnt totally cover my face, but I usually have about 5 cysts at a time and you know how those take forever to heal. Also, I KNOW i have an over production of testostrone cause I have the increase of hair growth on my face even though its blonde- its way too noticable.Anyway, spironolactone seems to be something that will treat 3 of my biggest problems, and I really hope that it works, thanks for your help!

Hi prettybow,

Maybe I can help you out on this Spiro thing. Okay here's my story I've been on Spirolactone for 5 weeks now and I swear to you in the first week I had a noticeable decrease in oil. I'm only of those girls that did her makeup in the morning and needed to use blotting papers and powder about 2 hrs or so after applying my makeup. Now its not like that I can go all afternoon with no touchup quite a new found freedom haha. Now I'm also on Mino and Zovia Birth Control pills to control my acne so right now I think I have one small pimple. But before I was on medication my skin was pretty oily and pretty broken out with large pimples that took forever to heal. I truly believe that by Spiro reducing your oil it reduces your breakouts. I wanna get off Mino and see my theory cause I'm wanting a long term solution to rely on. P.S. I have some blonde hair too on my face seems like the blonde is far too noticeable haha Oh and the only downside is at first you may have to go the bathroom a little more often because of its diuretic qualities but that also helps with bloating. Any other questions I can answer just let me know.

Good luck,

Rae

Hi prettybow,

Maybe I can help you out on this Spiro thing. Okay here's my story I've been on Spirolactone for 5 weeks now and I swear to you in the first week I had a noticeable decrease in oil. I'm only of those girls that did her makeup in the morning and needed to use blotting papers and powder about 2 hrs or so after applying my makeup. Now its not like that I can go all afternoon with no touchup quite a new found freedom haha. Now I'm also on Mino and Zovia Birth Control pills to control my acne so right now I think I have one small pimple. But before I was on medication my skin was pretty oily and pretty broken out with large pimples that took forever to heal. I truly believe that by Spiro reducing your oil it reduces your breakouts. I wanna get off Mino and see my theory cause I'm wanting a long term solution to rely on. P.S. I have some blonde hair too on my face seems like the blonde is far too noticeable haha Oh and the only downside is at first you may have to go the bathroom a little more often because of its diuretic qualities but that also helps with bloating. Any other questions I can answer just let me know.

Good luck,

Rae

Hi,

Sorry it took me so long to reply back. Currently I'm on 100mg once a day. The only thing I've heard negative about taking Spiro solely is spotting in between period and then it messing up your cycle where you sometimes don't have one for months. So that might be a downside. But Zovia (Demulen brand name) birth control is what I'm on now which is supposed to also help acne cause of more estrogen. I've only been on both for 5 weeks so I'm not sure about the long tern success. And Ortho Tri Cyclen was crap, I was on it for 4 years and I didn't see the great skin clearing quality haha Actually I think it made my skin WORSE!

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Rae

hey prettybow.. this is a really emotional topic for me.. but everytime i see a girl mention spiro my heart jus sinks sad.gif i took it for bad acne about a year ago.. i think i was on either 100-150 mg daily (cant remember) i was on it about 6-7 weeks when i noticed my once very pretty hair was falling out in masses. i had no idea spiro could do this, until i did research online an found that spiro has done this to alot of girls. so needless to say i ran to my dermatologist, who diagnosed it as temporary hairloss, but i knew in my heart it wasnt temporary. sure enough, a year later, my docs are saying it is permenant. please be careful with it. what i would give to know what i know now bb_icon_cry.gif

hey prettybow.. this is a really emotional topic for me.. but everytime i see a girl mention spiro my heart jus sinks sad.gif i took it for bad acne about a year ago.. i think i was on either 100-150 mg daily (cant remember) i was on it about 6-7 weeks when i noticed my once very pretty hair was falling out in masses. i had no idea spiro could do this, until i did research online an found that spiro has done this to alot of girls. so needless to say i ran to my dermatologist, who diagnosed it as temporary hairloss, but i knew in my heart it wasnt temporary. sure enough, a year later, my docs are saying it is permenant. please be careful with it. what i would give to know what i know now bb_icon_cry.gif

Guest Scorpioness

The weird thing is, when I take spiro alone, my hair falls out also.. in clumps. I reduced my dosage to 100 mgs a day, and started taking the pill with it (desogen) and the extreme hairloss stopped. Now that I quit the desogen, my hair is starting to fall out again... and I am breaking out. That sucks, because I don't want to be on the pill, there are just too many side effects. I became overly sensitive and went on an emotional rollercoaster the six months I was on it. Plus, it is known to cause cancer. I am still weighing out my options and trying to figure out what to do. I don't really want to have to go on accutane, ya know? I'm almost 30 years old, I hoped I would be done with all of this by now. :-(

Hi Spiro folks - I am a 30 yr old female that just starting breaking out after I went off the pill about 4 years ago. It was horrible - chin, back and chest. I have been on spiro (50mg 2x day) for 2 years and no bad side effects at all. My back and chest have not had a breakout in 2 years, but my chin is not totally better. I do go to the bathroom a lot (it's a duretic) which keeps of the water weight that we ladies get! I like it - but may end up going back on the pill b/c my chin is just getting worse. I am also using clindamycin gel on my chin. Has anyone tried that? It has been keeping most zits at bay, but the ones I have just won't heal. They are seem to be like cuts that just won't scab and go away.

Anyway, I think the hairloss thing is not that common b/c I have done a lot of reading, but you never know. I has worked well for me.

Good luck!

Spiro didn't help me, but Cyproterone Acetate worked wonders (I was taking 100 mg per day, but I think most people wouldn't need such a high dosage)

Different things work for different people. Fingers crossed that this works for you smile.gif

Guest Scorpioness
Spiro didn't help me, but Cyproterone Acetate worked wonders (I was taking 100 mg per day, but I think most people wouldn't need such a high dosage)

Different things work for different people. Fingers crossed that this works for you smile.gif

My derm said he would never ever prescribe spiro for anyone - too much side effects for something that's not always so effective. He said it messes up your liver and it's even worse (side effects wise) for you than accutane. I hope it goes okay for you!

Guest Scorpioness
My derm said he would never ever prescribe spiro for anyone - too much side effects for something that's not always so effective. He said it messes up your liver and it's even worse (side effects wise) for you than accutane. I hope it goes okay for you!

bb_shock.gifbb_sad.gif I'm kind of shocked to hear that although most prescription meds stress the liver. I'm not really convinced your derm is accurate about this because accutane is one of the harshest drugs out there. There are a lot more horror stories floating around out there about accutane than spiro, hands down.

Unfortunately I have to go back to the drawing board again and figure out what I'm going to do to get and stay clear when I haven't had to worry about it for a year, which means research. bb_sad.gif

Maybe I'll try liver flushing next.

Guest Scorpioness

bb_shock.gifbb_sad.gif I'm kind of shocked to hear that although most prescription meds stress the liver. I'm not really convinced your derm is accurate about this because accutane is one of the harshest drugs out there. There are a lot more horror stories floating around out there about accutane than spiro, hands down.

Unfortunately I have to go back to the drawing board again and figure out what I'm going to do to get and stay clear when I haven't had to worry about it for a year, which means research. bb_sad.gif

hey, Hair loss of the scalp has do to in part with how your body metabolizes testosterone. Spiro binds to the testosterone so it can not be metabolized and enter the hair follicles which reduces your hair loss. It just seems odd that a drug known to reduce hair loss is causing your hair loss. Are you on any other meds or have you changed your diet lately? Does your family have a history of female hair loss? If you can, give me links or websites reporting spiro causes hair loss in women. I'd like to do my own research. Good luck in your situation smile.gif

Guest Scorpioness

Hey...

I'm 29. I don't have any bald spots from the spiro. I quit taking it a few days ago now. My hair has thinned out somewhat. I can not tell you whether or not it is permanant. I'll let you know if I find out. Take care and good luck.

Hey...

I'm 29. I don't have any bald spots from the spiro. I quit taking it a few days ago now. My hair has thinned out somewhat. I can not tell you whether or not it is permanant. I'll let you know if I find out. Take care and good luck.

One thing on the on the blood test side of things...you actually do need to get them once in a while due to it potentially causing an increase in potassium. Just don't take vitamins w/ potassium or eat a lot of bananas. My doc perscribes sprio a lot and that was the 2nd phase of treatment he put me on due to it being harmless (of course, not everything is harmless to everyone). I took the blood test and all was just fine. I would really try it if your Dr's argrees. It has been great for me.

Good luck!

prettybow, ill try an find some links to where i read about spiro hairloss, i actually used to read whole forums dedicated to hairloss from it. most of the girls got permenante hairloss from it. basically what happens, to clear confusion, is this: spiro is an 'anti androgen' which means it blocks one type of testosterone. but for some sucky reason, when you block one type of of testosterone (the one blocked by spiro) it causes another type of testosterone (there are a few different forms of testosterone) to raise. the way i always explain it, is the spiro blocks your androgens, which cause acne. so sure it works great for acne. but while its blocking these androgens, its causing DHT (dihydrotestoterone) to raise. DHT causes hairloss. its the cause of hairloss for all the bald men u see walking around. an the sad thing is, once your hair follicles have become sensitive to DHT (spiro can cause the follicles to become sensitive to it) it nevers goes back to normal. you cant undo the damage. the exac t same thing happens when people take b5. if you look it up, hairloss from b5 is not too uncommon, an the reason hair is lost from it is exactly the same as spiro. hope that cleared thngs up a little.. ill try to find you some links soon. - caroline

i forgot to add, please look into other alternatives if you can. i cannot tell you the devastation of watching your hair fall out. literally some days i thought i was dying, it hurt so much seeing it fall out. my own mother would have to come help me out of the shower, because my hair would fall out in such huge clumps, that emotionally i couldnt stand up, i would just collapse in tears. its been a year now since this nightmare began, an only recently have i been able to take a shower/ bath without my mom being near by. i couldnt wash my hair on my own this whole time. my hair was about half way down my back, it took me 6 years to grow it, i would dead set against hair cuts, i adored long hair. now my hair does not even touch my shoulders, and is so thin i could put it all in on tiny barret. (i used to have hair so thick i would have to get it thinned). so not only did i lose the thickness, i lost over 12 inches of length. it may sound vain, but honestly it felt like i had lost an arm or soemthing... losing hair to me felt like the sky was falling, my whole world was collapsing around me. i guess maybe my hair was also a security blanket, as ive dealt with horrible acne an scarring since i was about 13 (im 21 now).. so in a sense i felt like i lost my dearest friend, and protector. my heart bleeds for anyone who suffers from hairloss, only those who have gone through it can truly understand the devastation. i will never forget my hair, and the friend i lost when it fell out. so please, please think about this. there really are ways that acne can be dealt with besides anti androgens.