Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hope2011

Dermatologist Tested vs. Non Comodogenic

Sorry if this has already been discussed...

My derma recommended I use non comodogenic makeup only - i've been finding some products that i'd like to try out but they say dermatologist tested and that's it.

The makeup counter lady informed me that non comod means that it won't clog pores (I figured that was the reason why my derma told me to use that too) But then does that mean I should NOT use any dermatologist tested products (they clog pores??).

Any advice/ tips/ lessons learned??

Help!!

I feel that "dermatologist tested" products are great, you shouldn't have to stop using them. However, just because its labeled "dermatologist tested", doesn't mean it won't break you out. It just means it was approved by a doctor.

Look for products with "non-comedogenic" (comedo meaning: the acne "plug" in the pore. genic meaning: it generates these) because it will not clog your pores / cause break outs. If you can't find this labeling, look for "oil free".

I feel that "dermatologist tested" products are great, you shouldn't have to stop using them. However, just because its labeled "dermatologist tested", doesn't mean it won't break you out. It just means it was approved by a doctor.

Actually, this is a super common misconception, in regards to the labeling of cosmetic products - And it drives me batty that companies employ this nonsense.

"Dermatologist Tested" In NO way shape or form means that a dermatologist approves the product. It just means the product has been "tested". For all intents & purposes that said derm could have discovered the product was ineffective, comedeogenic etc. Basically it is Bulldust.

Products that are "Dermatologist Approved" however, mean that they have been tested and approved by a dermatologist or at the very least a dermatologist has approved the products ingredients.

HOWEVER, Pro-activ, for example, which is universally accepted on acne.org as useless has been endorsed by "a" dermatologist. So the weight you give to the the label "Dermatologist Approved" really should be taken with a grain of salt.

My Advice? Do the research yourself. It may take a little longer but your face is worth it. And after awhile you will learn the ingredients to stay the heck away from. If there is an ingredient I am not familiar with I type it into google. You find all the answers you need.

Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the replies... makes sense!!

I've also been told by my derma to use only "Water based" foundations or those that state non comodogenic. Is oil free the same thing as water based? I think it isn't but any clarification would be useful.

It's pretty tough finding very many "water based" foundations or concealers... i know makeup forever has those but what other companies? Help!!! Need to find the ideal shade for my skin.