Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, so this topic has probably been brought up before, but I haven't found anyone talking about it. I want to know if anyone on here is struggling/has struggled to get a job and thought maybe it was because of their acne. Or perhaps you haven't wanted to attempt to get a job, because you're afraid they won't hire you for the very reason that you have acne.

I have been dealing with this problem, but not for the latter reason. Sure, I have tried to get a job for a while now, and am unsure as to why noone wants to hire me. I am friendly, and usually have background experience in the job I am applying for, yet, they don't seem to have a good enough reason to reject my application.

Sigh.

I shall continue to try, although i'm losing hope of ever finding a job, or at least fining one within the next year so that I can save up for a better car and college.

Please let me know if this problem is happening to/affecting you.

hey, i feel like i went through the same thing when i was applying for jobs. Im sure uve heard it before but you should keep two things in mind

1) the job economy is tough right now, for everyone, so more places are going for people that are done school(u said college, so im guessing youre quite young) and will work full time so thyey dont have to hire multiple part-timers.

2) Its not likely they'll reject you on your looks, but theyll definitely assess the confidence you project when you apply, so just keep at it and let your awesome personality shine in the interviews.:D

lol funny-ish story.....im 22 (23 on the 25th this month:D) and i currently work in a lab where i make glasses, but when i applied there i actually went for a sales position and i had the exact fear you have, AND the job they gave me is in the lab, away from the retail floor where people cant see me, so to this day i sometimes wonder if they only hired me because i was done school and could work 24/7, AND if thats why they stuck me in the lab cuz my face aint 'marketable,' to put it politely....in the end it works perfectly, i LOVE my job and the people i work with, im a quick learner and i get lots of praise from my bosses, and i have no tolerance for assholes so theres NO WAY i could have been a sales person anyway!!!!

stay strong hon! best of luck with everything!

Edited by colostomus

youll get hire but prepare yourself mentally and emotionally to some assholes in work.

Like what im experiencing right now its a daily struggle for me getting into work and being in work. Social anxiety is fucking up my brain completely and im always sweating like shit everytime i go out on public. im always paranoid of people talking behind my back.

hey, i feel like i went through the same thing when i was applying for jobs. Im sure uve heard it before but you should keep two things in mind

1) the job economy is tough right now, for everyone, so more places are going for people that are done school(u said college, so im guessing youre quite young) and will work full time so thyey dont have to hire multiple part-timers.

2) Its not likely they'll reject you on your looks, but theyll definitely assess the confidence you project when you apply, so just keep at it and let your awesome personality shine in the interviews.:D

lol funny-ish story.....im 22 (23 on the 25th this month:D) and i currently work in a lab where i make glasses, but when i applied there i actually went for a sales position and i had the exact fear you have, AND the job they gave me is in the lab, away from the retail floor where people cant see me, so to this day i sometimes wonder if they only hired me because i was done school and could work 24/7, AND if thats why they stuck me in the lab cuz my face aint 'marketable,' to put it politely....in the end it works perfectly, i LOVE my job and the people i work with, im a quick learner and i get lots of praise from my bosses, and i have no tolerance for assholes so theres NO WAY i could have been a sales person anyway!!!!

Haha well seriously, thankyou for your kind words. I am confident when I go for interviews and usually i'm not thinking about my face when i'm there. It's afterwards that I think about it and feel less confident in myself. But I try to project my self in a way that is appealing to others and hope that it's enough as well as background experience in that field to get me the job.

I'm 19 right now so yes I am still young but I really want to be making my own money, and am currently able to work part-time and perhaps even full-time if required. I'm really glad for you though that you have a job that you enjoy. It's great to hear someone saying they have a good time at work and enjoy the people they work with, because it seems rare these days haha. I used to work at a small Chinese restaurant but the boss fired me for no good reason at all. He didn't say why, but he did start yelling at me randomly while I was at work in the kitchen about to start waiting tables for the night. I wasn't really upset about it though because I didn't enjoy that job, the people weren't friendly at all and the pay was below average. Also, at the time my skin was flawless, and that certainly couldn't have been the reason why he fired me. I laugh about it now!

So are you struggling with acne at all now, or are you clear and gorgeous :P?

Ciao mate!

Haha well seriously, thankyou for your kind words. I am confident when I go for interviews and usually i'm not thinking about my face when i'm there. It's afterwards that I think about it and feel less confident in myself. But I try to project my self in a way that is appealing to others and hope that it's enough as well as background experience in that field to get me the job.

I'm 19 right now so yes I am still young but I really want to be making my own money, and am currently able to work part-time and perhaps even full-time if required. I'm really glad for you though that you have a job that you enjoy. It's great to hear someone saying they have a good time at work and enjoy the people they work with, because it seems rare these days haha. I used to work at a small Chinese restaurant but the boss fired me for no good reason at all. He didn't say why, but he did start yelling at me randomly while I was at work in the kitchen about to start waiting tables for the night. I wasn't really upset about it though because I didn't enjoy that job, the people weren't friendly at all and the pay was below average. Also, at the time my skin was flawless, and that certainly couldn't have been the reason why he fired me. I laugh about it now!

Ciao mate!

lol, no no im still struggling, but not so much on my face anymore, im left with scars on my face, but i still have a little acne is on my back, which is so much harder to treat, and over the worst years its left a lot of scars and PIH on my shoulders which im just starting to treat now, so ill be patient for a few more years if i can. I recently posted my first picture IN A DECADE in the 'post your pics' thread, take a look if ud like, its grainy and doesnt show my acne at all, and its my first genuine smile in a long time....and im positive less people notice acne when ur smiling, i do get compliments on my smile and teeth a fair bit:D

If you got fired from a job you hated id just call it an 'extended vacation,' i hope the next job you find gives you a great experience, lifelong friends, and of course money money money!! good luck!

Edited by colostomus

Ciao mate!

lol, no no im still struggling, but not so much on my face anymore, im left with scars on my face, but i still have a little acne is on my back, which is so much harder to treat, and over the worst years its left a lot of scars and PIH on my shoulders which im just starting to treat now, so ill be patient for a few more years if i can. I recently posted my first picture IN A DECADE in the 'post your pics' thread, take a look if ud like, its grainy and doesnt show my acne at all, and its my first genuine smile in a long time....and im positive less people notice acne when ur smiling, i do get compliments on my smile and teeth a fair bit:D

If you got fired from a job you hated id just call it an 'extended vacation,' i hope the next job you find gives you a great experience, lifelong friends, and of course money money money!! good luck!

Yes hopefully the next job I have is far more enjoyable. Smile smile smile mate.

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

^ & what if u r? well not saying that i am (well ofc duh lolol gahahah brrrrlawl bzzz ghah.. ofcourss xD...>_>)

but yea what if person actually wanna be modeling & this shit just wont go to hell no matter, what then? :think:

like what if ur ugly as fuck but your dream of life to be the most beautiful superstar ever? :think:

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

oh but in any case..what if u r not confident n not friendly? :think:

unless you are going for a modeling job they wont care on looks... be confident and friendly and they will hire you.

i have acne and i work in a modeling job. i hope that tells you something.

Hey, Back when my acne was its worst I went on several job interviews, I was only 16.. I thought maybe acne was the reason i wasn't getting hired, but it turned out that i wasnt getting hired cuz i was only 16 with no work experience... so finally i decided to make up a fake job that i worked at in the past, i said that my friends father owned a store that i worked at for 2 years when i was 13-15, but the store went out of bsuiness and it was off the books so theres no record of it.. and i got hired, because of the early age work experience and the way i conducted myself.. I was the only kid there, there were all adults there, i had bad acne, and i had to learn an advanced computer system that at first i didnt think id get the hang of, but i wound up lasting there for 8 months until i resigned, and when i did resign, the boss was trying to talk me out of quitting.

Hey, Back when my acne was its worst I went on several job interviews, I was only 16.. I thought maybe acne was the reason i wasn't getting hired, but it turned out that i wasnt getting hired cuz i was only 16 with no work experience... so finally i decided to make up a fake job that i worked at in the past, i said that my friends father owned a store that i worked at for 2 years when i was 13-15, but the store went out of bsuiness and it was off the books so theres no record of it.. and i got hired, because of the early age work experience and the way i conducted myself.. I was the only kid there, there were all adults there, i had bad acne, and i had to learn an advanced computer system that at first i didnt think id get the hang of, but i wound up lasting there for 8 months until i resigned, and when i did resign, the boss was trying to talk me out of quitting.

Well that's great mate. I'm glad that you got that job and got something out of it. I enjoy working, especially when it's with good people that genuinely want you there.

unless you are going for a modeling job they wont care on looks... be confident and friendly and they will hire you.

Haha well if only it were that easy.... Being confident and friendly doesn't always work, and this can be proven from my experience. I am outgoing and am never nervous when I go for interviews, in fact I find it quite thrilling and I get to meet new people through the process, but after several interviews, 6 in the last month, I am yet to be hired. Confidence and friendliness alone doesn't always work, and that's why I thought it could be because of my appearance, but I must say that if someone won't hire me because of that, i'm disappointed in that company.

Wow that is really wonderful. I'm glad to hear this! I hope you're enjoying your modelling work.

Wow that is really wonderful. I'm glad to hear this! I hope you're enjoying your modelling work.

thank you sweetheart! in fact this is kind of funny, because one day i was walking down the streets and i was not wearing no makeup only lipstick and this guy came to me and asked me if i want it to model for his company and to work with them, so...i said yes without even thinking about my acne. i even told them about my skin problem but i guess that if you have personality and potential you can always be the best of the best. ;) in anything you want. insecurity is what makes people not to succeed in what they want. makeup and photoshop can do alot of magic ;)

so...if you are interested in a career about modeling or anything that has to do with beauty or fashion please do not give up, you can do it! and acne shouldn´t stop in you in anything you want to do!. acne girls can be cute too! :) besides the supermodel Jessica Stam sometimes gets alot of zits and have you ever saw Cameron Diaz without makeup? she is totally a pizza face BUT she is so beautiful in my opinion. no matter if she has bad skin. oh by the way and Victoria Beckham also has terrible skin!. i bet you are soo beautiful with or without acne the thing is that you don´t know it yet. :)

^ & what if u r? well not saying that i am (well ofc duh lolol gahahah brrrrlawl bzzz ghah.. ofcourss xD...>_>)

but yea what if person actually wanna be modeling & this shit just wont go to hell no matter, what then? :think:

like what if ur ugly as fuck but your dream of life to be the most beautiful superstar ever? :think:

Beauty fades anyway, even the most beautiful person by society's standards can only be a superstar for a very short time period before their 15 minutes is taken from them.

I think I had a pretty good acne flare up when I was 18 and went for my first ever job interview. The economy was way better then. I was 18 and could work behind the counter waiting on customers in the deli or bakery at the grocery store because I was legally an adult and could use the equipment. (There are child labor laws to prevent minors from using the slicers, etc...) Didn't bother them the slightest to hire an acne prone girl to serve customers. When I was older and graduated from college, I think my acne was quite a bit better, I had makeup on, but this time it took me a long time to get hired. No experience was a huge problem and an even bigger one is that entry level jobs were afraid they'd hire me and I'd quickly leave after getting a little experience. The economy is rough right now and competition is stiff, from what I usually hear when bosses discuss new hires, they hire people based on how quickly they would catch on to that type of work and how likely they think that person would be to stay.