Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Call me slow on the up take, but I have only just become aware of people talking about products with AHA or Glycolic Acid in them. From what I have read they often seem to be used with BP products - which I am not keen on; I have just stopped using Duac because of sensitivity and the feeling that it was upsetting the balance of my skin. There seem to be alot of good reviews for Alpha Hydrox products. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback or views on the effectiveness of these products or this particular brand? Do people generally use them if they are not using BP?

I use Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Lotion with 10% Glycolic Acid and Alpha Hydrox Souffle with 12% Glycolic Acid. I never apply both products on the same day. I alternate between days. However, I have only used them for a couple weeks but then stopped because I was still on my Accutane course at the time. I will start using them in a couple of weeks to even my skin tone. I have no active acne at all on my face, but I have a small handful of red marks that need to be faded. I will give about 2 - 3 months, alternating between those two products, to fade the marks on my face.

Some quick facts about Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA):

- feels tingly for the first couple applications.

- can cause a slight burning sensation but that usually subsides in about 5 minutes or so depending on how well your skin tolerates the AHA.

- unglues the dead skin on your face

- evens out your complexion

- assists in evening out hyperpigmentation

- Alpha Hydrox is a brand that has been around for years. their products are very reasonably priced for having such a high and potent amount of glycolic acid that is available without a prescription.

- is a great anti-aging product, so people both young and old can use this product. :dance:

Hi Sima, thanks for the information! So are the AHA face lotion and Souffle actually classed as moisurisers? Just wondering if I should be using anything else to moisturise with. Would you say that these products are fairly gentle? I have just come of Differin and Duac because they were so harsh - however the down side of this is that I have lost the smoothness that came with them - and I want to get it back!

The alpha hydrox line has a moisturizer but I don't own it. The souffle is more of a mask that you can sleep with and wash it off in the morning. I mix a small amount of the enhanced lotion with a small amount of my usual Cetaphil moisturizer. Please be very careful when applying the AHA around your eyes. The skin around your eyes is 20 times thinner than the rest of the skin on your face. Once you start using these products, you will definitely notice a more radiant, soft and even complexion.

Doh! I live in England and have just realised you can't buy these products here. SO frustrating! I wonder if paying all that postage would be worth it...

Does anyone of any good AHA products available in the UK?! I have had a look and there doesn't seem to be much - seems like a major gap in the market!

I use the same products as the previous poster. I add a little jojoba oil to the enhanced lotion at night to make it more moisturizing.

Peter Thomas Roth makes a good 10% Glycolic Acid moisturizer too. It is more expensive though. Is PTR more easily accessible than the Alpha Hydrox line?

It's advised to use BHAs first before trying BP. If BHAs aren't helpful enough, you can then add BP. Also, BHAs are preferred to AHAs, and then exfoliate deeper into the pores. I use Paula's Choice 2% Salicylic Acid and really like it a lot.

Doh! I live in England and have just realised you can't buy these products here. SO frustrating! I wonder if paying all that postage would be worth it...

Does anyone of any good AHA products available in the UK?! I have had a look and there doesn't seem to be much - seems like a major gap in the market!

The only place I could find glycolic acid lotions from (at a reasonable price) was Ebay.

There is a seller on there called med-fx, selling AHA lotion at 8% strengh for £3.95 for 4oz (118ml) bottles. They also sell 10%, 15%, & 20% strengths, but are dearer (around £10).

I used the 10% strength myself, for my back acne, as a stop-gap until my new supply of DK's AHA+ arrived.

Do a search on Ebay for med-fx, as I don't think I'm allowed to post a direct link.

btw...it may be helpful to put your location in your profile to help other posters when recommending products.

Thanks everyone. Will do some more research - hadn't heard of BHAs either. I think that you can buy Peter Thomas Roth stuff in UK - will have a look at the reviews on Makeup Alley. Manticore - you are right - I need to update my profile a little - I have only posted on this forum a few times and am still a novice!

Forgot to add. The lotion sold by med-fx is made by DCL (Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories).