Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elephatt

Duac + Differin, finally found something that works!

I've been on variations of benzoyl peroxide + clindamycin since I was 13 (26 now) -- benzamycin, benzaclin, duac, you name it! And it worked up through college. But it was definitely the case that after 8 or 9 months my skin would adjust to it, I would start breaking out again (moderately severe acne), and I'd have to stop using it for a month or two before I'd start to see any results again.

But this past year, the duac just stopped working completely, and my acne seemed to get worse and worse. Getting older, it's most likely a change in hormones -- I developed a lot of cysts along my jawline, and they were taking forever to go away. I also started drinking a lot of soy milk -- so I stopped that immediately once I read the hormones in soy could affect your acne. That seemed to help.

But my doc also suggested I add on differin ON TOP of the duac (so literally use them at the same time twice a day). And after about 3 months, my face is close to being clear. I still get a couple pimples a week before my period, but they clear up pretty quickly and they never get too bad, and some are probably only noticeable to me :). Definitely a tremendous improvement, and most of my acne scars are gone as well. Getting better each day!

Using both meds can of course be very drying, so I really only use a pea size amount consisting of both. But it's more than enough.

Good luck guys!