Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi girls and guys.

Basically, I can't find a make up that covers my skin, without looking cakey or dry. It clogs in my scars and I can never achieve that "smooth" look that many people with acne can get. I have used

Estee Lauder, Supercover - which is good but made my ice-picks stand out. Prescriptives, Chanel, Mineral make up, Benefits concealer, smashbox, rimmel. tons.

I think its more to do with my dry and awful skin, then any of the make-ups. I have dermaroller treatments and it has dried my skin out.

It's like no make up can take to my skin....there's no way I can use powder as my face just looks extra dry.

Any advice, please help, I am literally stuck at home because I cannot face anyone seeing me with this face.

x

well one thing you should do is make sure you have a good moisturizer. you can also add some jojoba oil to the moisturizer as to add to the moisturizing effect. as for makeup i just use a powder right now but am kind of on a search for a good makeup. this morning, i woke up super early bc i couldn't sleep lol, so i was watching QVC and saw them advertising makeup by "tarte". I have never tried this make up but they were talkin about their natural makeup that is meant for t his whole ..going on smooth etc and looking natural. i have never used it myself, but i might try it. maybe you can look it up and do some research=]

Edited by ~VaLeRie~

Have you tried primer? i use smashbox photofinish & it seems to help with smoothing my skin. But it is not a miricle worker. This one is also moisturising which may help with the make up application.

Hey. thanks for the advice.

I have never tried Maybelline, I'll give it a go.

I use either Eucerin or Aveeno moisturiser and they work fine but as soon as i blend my make up, it's just not smooth, let's put it this way, you can tell I have make up on...like, I have applied it very badly.

I have got smashbox primer and I really like it but again when I applied a foundation on top, it looked caked.

Maybe you should apply less product and blend more (with a sponge or flat top kabuki brush). Those steps will reduce the cakeyness a little. If it persists, maybe it is the foundation :(

Maybe you should apply less product and blend more (with a sponge or flat top kabuki brush). Those steps will reduce the cakeyness a little. If it persists, maybe it is the foundation :(

I completely agree with this post. You do not necessarily have to apply layers and layers of foundation to achieve the coverage you need. A little goes a long way. If you are brave enough, maybe it is time to toss the foundation and move on! That is what I did. Foundation made my skin worse. Also, a much cheaper alternative to Smashbox primer is Monistat Chafing Gel. It is found near the feminine care items. It is a silicone gel that works just as well as any other primer out there. It only costs $8, too.

If you don't wanna look cakey, apply Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse foundation ONLY where you need coverage and use a small sponge to apply it. Also, make sure that your concealor isn't that light so you look natural.

I recommend DIOR moisturizer.

Try minerals makeup

Hey, thanks for all the advice.

My daily skincare is a "less is more" take on things. Basically, I wash with warm water, then cold. Some cleansers are too harsh. On days where i use make-up or have dermaroller, I use Simple cleanser. It was recommended by my derm. This approach actually works for my active acne.

I exfoliate once a week and steam my face maybe a few times a year.

I sometimes use Olive oil as a make-up remover. For me, it works better than any brand one. They are too drying.

I don't ever wear too much make up, I mix my foundation with moisturiser to help it smooth on and some days I just wear a little concealer.

I use Aveeno moisturiser, twice a day.

I actually really liked Chanel make-up - had a sample one, and am thinking of getting the Pro Lumiere one. Is it any good?

x

I went through a similar situation with my makeup while/after I was on Accutane. I eventually got rid of the ice pick scars through some treatments, so these suggestions may not be the best long term solution. They helped me though, so I'll let you decide:

1. I hate regular primers and prefer a hyaluronic acid serum. It plumps up fine lines, evens texture and grips onto water-based product. Vichy makes one I like.

2. One primer that is awesome at smoothing the skin is Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. It's designed to fill in wrinkles, but it does something similar with scars. It's more of a putty than a liquid, so it's very unique.

3. Mix a touch of Clinique Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief into a 12-hour, oil-free foundation for good coverage that's easier to blend.

4. Use a full coverage concealer in a pot on areas that need more coverage.

5. Set with a loose powder instead of pressed, adding more coverage where needed with a mineral product like Bare Escentuals Multi-Tasking Face.

Hope these ideas help!

Edited by PowderedPeach

I think the dermaroller is the culprit. It works by damaging the skin which eventually sloughs off. It's the cause of your flaky skin which is interfering with a smooth makeup application.

My recommendation is to try airbrush makeup. It sprays onto the skin in a very fine mist and it sits lightly on the surface so no rubbing or brushing is required, which tends to disrupt flaky skin making it look worse. Airbrush makeup comes in either a silicone or water base, so you need to find the one that works best for your skin.

Edited by Heartless

you can also add some jojoba oil to the moisturizer as to add to the moisturizing effect. as for makeup i just use a powder right now but am kind of on a search for a good makeup. A little goes a long way. If you are brave enough, maybe it is time to toss the foundation and move on! I sometimes use Olive oil as a make-up remover. For me, it works better than any brand one. They are too drying.