Notifications
Clear all

Controlling oil with.... lactoferrin!

MemberMember
(@jsmithson)

Posted : 03/12/2011 7:14 am

It's amazing what you find when trawling pubmed :D

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20692602

The key point is that a reduction in sebum was found through taking lactoferrin: a milk protein.

I'm about to start a 400mg per day experiment of lactoferrin and see if there's a reduction in sebum.

My sebum is out of control and systemic retinoids and topical polyphenols are unfortunately out of the question for me!

MemberMember
(@iacne)

Posted : 03/12/2011 10:29 am

I should be buying some of this and will be researching it a bit more now. Is there any side effect s of having lactoferrin? I will probably be buying 250mg 90 capsules and will be having one a day until 90 days is over and report any reduction.

MemberMember
(@mastershadow)

Posted : 03/12/2011 12:16 pm

I did like 2 pills daily for 2 weeks and noticed no change.

MemberMember
(@iacne)

Posted : 03/12/2011 1:54 pm

I did like 2 pills daily for 2 weeks and noticed no change.

That study was for 12 weeks and how many mg a day?

MemberMember
(@dgman)

Posted : 03/16/2011 10:10 am

^^ There was another study done with lactoferrin but it was combined with probiotics and this combo proved to be very effective at reducing breakouts and sebum production. A cursory google search will reveal lactoferrin supplements with probiotics such as Pearl Immune if anyone wants to give it a go.

MemberMember
(@monroe444)

Posted : 11/09/2014 1:04 pm

I've been taking Life Extension lactoferrin, 2 to 4 caps at 300 mg each, for over a month now, and my acne has actually gotten worse. I don't understand it at all. I believe the lactoferrin cleared up an infection from a sliver in my toe that a doctor tried to take out but couldn't, and another doctor told me I would have to take antibiotics or I could lose my toe, but I decided to wait to see if the lactoferrin would work, so I really think it did, but I would say my face is even oilier now.

The other thing I do not understand is I have also been taking copious amounts of betaine hcl for the past few weeks. I started with the incremental hcl test for low stomach acid and am able to take 7 capsules (500 mg) with a high protein meal, then I got a brand with pepsin and take one of those with 5-6 of the other, and I also take 1 digestive enzyme capsule at the same time.

My diet is pretty good, I don't eat any gluten and even avoid the GF stuff, I juice raw veggies every day, I drink lots of water and take vitamin A and it's the same or better than before, so I do not understand why my skin is worsening. I also take vitex to balance my hormones and I take magnesium and use pureed prunes instead of sugar and they keep me very regular.

I am so frustrated.