New anti sebum drug...

Notifications
Clear all

New anti sebum drug: MTC896

MemberMember
(@jsmithson)

Posted : 03/10/2011 8:45 pm

Hey y'all! :D

Just came across a clinical trial for this topical drug that is due to finish in the next few months. It is an anti sebum drug that works operates on melanocortin receptor 5 (I've not come across this line of research as an anti sebum target). The drug was discovered by Mimetica.

The drug is specifically targetted towards anti sebum effects. We should know in the next few months if it is effective and safe.

Though it is not mentioned, it looks like a phase 2 trial. I think it has to go through the more expensive and time consuming phase 3 trial before it can be made into a product.

See " http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01254162?term=sebum&rank= 1"

MemberMember
(@alex-xela)

Posted : 05/23/2011 11:36 am

Hey y'all! :D

Just came across a clinical trial for this topical drug that is due to finish in the next few months. It is an anti sebum drug that works operates on melanocortin receptor 5 (I've not come across this line of research as an anti sebum target). The drug was discovered by Mimetica.

The drug is specifically targetted towards anti sebum effects. We should know in the next few months if it is effective and safe.

Though it is not mentioned, it looks like a phase 2 trial. I think it has to go through the more expensive and time consuming phase 3 trial before it can be made into a product.

See " http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01254162?term=sebum&rank= 1"

any updated news on this?

Pink21 liked
MemberMember
(@skribby)

Posted : 05/25/2011 8:05 am

yeah, hit us up with some of that news son!

MemberMember
(@nivonis)

Posted : 11/20/2014 1:22 pm

I am currently in the Research Study for this new drug. I guess since, some of these posts are from 2011, that i am probably in the phase 3 study, They are paying big bucks for test subjects to volunteer, and they are very very very selective on who they let it. I didn't think my acne was going to be severe enough to get it, but I did. It is late 2014, I just started the medication, i will let you know how it works out for me personally.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 11/25/2014 1:59 pm

I am currently in the Research Study for this new drug. I guess since, some of these posts are from 2011, that i am probably in the phase 3 study, They are paying big bucks for test subjects to volunteer, and they are very very very selective on who they let it. I didn't think my acne was going to be severe enough to get it, but I did. It is late 2014, I just started the medication, i will let you know how it works out for me personally.

Good luck!

Please keep us up to date on any progress, I'm sure a lot of people on here would really appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 12/01/2014 2:57 pm

That's really cool! I would love to hear how it goes, if you're allowed to talk about your experience.

MemberMember
(@nivonis)

Posted : 12/02/2014 5:05 pm

So far im in two weeks in with the medication, I wont tell you what group I'm in, but I I can tell you I feel my face is much much less oily, and it isn't dry or cracking or peeling, I had my 3rd appointment after two weeks of using the medication, I have two more weeks until my next one. I am breaking out much less, I expect it to stop all together at this rate. This study is still phase 2

MemberMember
(@jofo)

Posted : 12/07/2014 7:37 pm

So far im in two weeks in with the medication, I wont tell you what group I'm in, but I I can tell you I feel my face is much much less oily, and it isn't dry or cracking or peeling, I had my 3rd appointment after two weeks of using the medication, I have two more weeks until my next one. I am breaking out much less, I expect it to stop all together at this rate. This study is still phase 2

Awesome, that sounds really promising. How oily was your skin before?

MemberMember
(@josh530)

Posted : 12/07/2014 10:28 pm

Too bad it won't hit the market for another 3-5 years.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 12/08/2014 12:19 am

you guys should really look into ditching the meds and actually CURING your acne naturally. get tests done for food sensitivities, gut health, and anything else.

It's the problem of the BODY, not of pills and topicals. so you gotta heal, not treat.

edit:

sorry everyone. Ignore the above comment. That was a stupid comment. I know now that going natural doesn't help everyone.

I originally thought it did after I cured my cystic acne (finally!) by going natural. The reason I thought it would work for most people is because a lot of doctors and dermatologists tell people that diet has no affect on acne. And a bunch of other myths. I found that to be false when I cured my acne after getting a food sensitivity test. I also did tons of research on western diets and how they are the leading cause of food sensitivities, and intolerances. After seeing so many disproven myths, I started to believe that many people in the medical field were just out to make money off of us. kind of like what the US government does.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/11/2014 11:27 pm

you guys should really look into ditching the meds and actually CURING your acne naturally. get tests done for food sensitivities, gut health, and anything else.

It's the problem of the BODY, not of pills and topicals. so you gotta heal, not treat.

This does not necessarily work for everyone's acne. Even when it does work for acne, it does not necessarily always help oily skin.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 12/12/2014 6:19 am

This does not necessarily work for everyone's acne. Even when it does work for acne, it does not necessarily always help oily skin.

Yeah. I apologize. I should've known better than to push my cure on everyone.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 12/12/2014 11:30 am

Yeah. I apologize. I should've known better than to push my cure on everyone.

Well I'm glad at least it's a cure for you! It definitely helps me, but it's not a total cure.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@so1o)

Posted : 01/06/2015 9:49 am

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02293018

Seems the study ends this month, if it hasn't already. Hopefully, it moves onto Phase III soon. Any updates, Nivonis?

MemberMember
(@jsmithson)

Posted : 02/18/2015 9:53 am

Wow so here I am 4 years later responding to the thread I started! It's amazing news that this drug has finally made some progress clinical trial wise. I actually wrote this one off since nothing happened for so long. I suppose the outcome they're looking for will be an improvement in acne since that's where the dollars are - us poor oilies are probably not a big enough market to justify the insane clinical trial expense.

MemberMember
(@hatelongflights)

Posted : 06/04/2015 7:43 pm

I just found this great site and registered.

I have been praying for an anti-sebum drug fo many years. I often fly to Asia on business and traveling for sometimes 24 hours with a horrible oily skin is hell. Although you can clean your face in the airplane toilets, it is very unpleasant to see one's hair get greasy and greasier!

So, here is another watcher, waiting to see what happens with this drug MTC896. A few years ago, I read that a UK company had discovered that one of their existing drugs, maybe for arthritus or something, actually controlled sebum. The blogs said that it was a smaller company that needed its funds for other projects and this was put on the back burner. I think they may have been located in Oxford, but it is a while ago. I wonder if they are the maker of MTC896, or if we are going to see others develop similar drugs.

I am a 60+ business guy and have waited long enough!

All updates will be more than welcome!

MemberMember
(@jsmithson)

Posted : 07/14/2015 7:28 am

I notice that the trial finished in April but no results have been posted by the company. I'm very interested to see what happened!

MemberMember
(@warrantedaide)

Posted : 07/25/2015 1:00 pm

Any news about this or an way to contact someone related with this drug ? What are the steps after phase II/III ?

MemberMember
(@georgealberto)

Posted : 11/11/2015 10:17 am

Does anybody know anything about it. Phases?