Notifications
Clear all

Attn: All Acne.org needlers & inquirers

MemberMember
(@progression)

Posted : 03/10/2011 8:18 pm

Please see the Subcision-suction method as there is a lot of good research here and I know a lot of you are needling with decent or mediocre results. Please try this below and post back as I think this is the current future while we wait for the miracle solution.

-----------------------------------

Subcision-suction method for acne scars

The Subcision-suction method: A new successful combination therapy in treatment of atrophic acne scars and other depressed scars.

S Aalami Harandi, K Balighi, V Lajevardi,, E Akbari

Conclusion:

"Frequent suctioning at the recurrence period of subcision increases subcision efficacy remarkably and causes significant and persistent improvement in short time, without considerable complication, in depressed scars of the face."

Full article here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0.03711.x/full

Instead of subcision, needle the scar aggressively with the single needle from all angles.

A suction effect can be achieved with strongly sticking self adhesive tape.

Alternatively you could try one of these suction gadgets for pores:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q.....853&bih=529

I don't know how well they work. If anybody has experience with it, give us feedback :-)

post-118061-1299806253_thumb.png

post-118061-1299806253_thumb.png

MemberMember
(@bxplayboy7)

Posted : 03/10/2011 8:34 pm

this is a very interesting method to use... I hope someone with experience with this is able to give us a few names of doctors who successfully perform this procedure

MemberMember
(@aejira)

Posted : 03/11/2011 2:24 am

Interesting thought with the adhesive tape, I might actually attempt to try that in a couple days. What I'm thinking is this, needle/roll aggressively and it'll cause the skin to microswell so that it's flush with the rest of the skin. Apply topicals let it soak in for about an hour, wipe off excess and then apply monofilament tape. Reading about bruising/swelling times for subcision seems to be at about day 3, I've noticed usually it starts to drop at around 3 days as well for needling. I'm about 95% set on doing it and I'll keep everyone updated.

MemberMember
(@progression)

Posted : 03/11/2011 7:10 pm

Interesting thought with the adhesive tape, I might actually attempt to try that in a couple days. What I'm thinking is this, needle/roll aggressively and it'll cause the skin to microswell so that it's flush with the rest of the skin. Apply topicals let it soak in for about an hour, wipe off excess and then apply monofilament tape. Reading about bruising/swelling times for subcision seems to be at about day 3, I've noticed usually it starts to drop at around 3 days as well for needling. I'm about 95% set on doing it and I'll keep everyone updated.

Great! The adhesive tape idea was from a dermatologist I spoke with so I cannot take credit. Please keep us abreast to your progress!

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/03/2012 7:08 am

Sarah Vaughter recommends using a suction pump in combination with dermarolling or needling for tethered scars. It's sold on her website here:

http://shop.owndoc.com/product-info.php?suction-pump-scars-pid212.html

Has anyone here tried this?

MemberMember
(@crystalized)

Posted : 10/03/2012 1:24 pm

I've not tried it, but am a) interested in hearing about anyone who has, and b) potentially a good candidate to try it out. Right now I am undergoing regular filler treatments to try to add volume to my rolling scars, before moving onto a secondary needling/rolling phase (probably in the new year, unlikely any sooner - read more here if you're interested). When I am onto that secondary phase I have some fairly deep/depressed scars that I had planned to work on. I reckon they might benefit from this. Food for thought....

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:21 pm

Why buy a suction device, just use your home vacuum hose. lol

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/04/2012 5:05 am

I'm interested in possibly trying it out, but I would like to hear more user experiences first. Also the instructions on using the pump didn't seem very clear to me on Sarah Vaughter's website, but maybe I just didn't read thoroughly enough. It seems like a good idea, and a very cheap method as well if it works.

Oh, and I would like to say that I think the picture in the link is slightly misleading. This person had very new scars created by shingles, and I think some of the improvement could be attributed to mere time and the normal healing process, since the scars were very new and still remodeling. But of course the suction pump may have helped a lot, too.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/04/2012 5:58 am

I just read the shingles thread more thoroughly (on Sarah Vaughter's forums) and the person with the scars used a 'bottle pump', i.e. not the pump they are selling. So you could probably just use a wine pump or such, if you can find one cheaper than this. In any case, it's nice that Sarah Vaughter is offering one for dermarollers. If I end up trying the method, I'll probably get it.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/16/2012 8:38 am

Sarah Vaughter recommends using a suction pump in combination with dermarolling or needling for tethered scars. It's sold on her website here:

http://shop.owndoc.c...ars-pid212.html

Has anyone here tried this?

So, I ordered this pump on a whim along with a 1.5mm dermastamp and 0.5mm roller and received it yesterday. I've actually decided against using it, since I'm not sure if my scars would be suitable for this type of treatment. I might try it on one scar when I've started dermarolling and see what happens, but I would assume it to be best for treating rolling scars.

However, it turns out that this pump is actually meant to be used for sucking snake, spider and scorpion venom out of fresh bites as a first-aid procedure. It just so happens that my boyfriend has purchased one such creature a few days ago without consulting me, and after some research, I've found out that in the worst-case scenario, the bite of this thing could be a very, very painful experience. So I'm more than happy to have this pump around just in case!