Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redskin

What exactly is exfoliating?

My cheeks get a build up of dry skin that i rub away about once a week. Is this normal? It is pretty nasty, if i dont "rub it away" it will continue to build up more and more, so i am forced to do this once a weeek. It is pretty tough so when i say rub away, i literally mean im rubbing at my skin, irritating it. My skin is always really red after this.

Is this considered exfoliating?

Don't rub that hard. If it irritates your skin then you shouldn't be doing it. Get a facial cleanser that has some kind of scrubbing beads in it. Don't get one with apricot pit scrubbies or anything like that, though because it will irritate your skin further. Instead, get something with microbeads. They're less scratchy. I like Neutrogena scrubs.

Don't rub that hard. If it irritates your skin then you shouldn't be doing it. Get a facial cleanser that has some kind of scrubbing beads in it. Don't get one with apricot pit scrubbies or anything like that, though because it will irritate your skin further. Instead, get something with microbeads. They're less scratchy. I like Neutrogena scrubs.

Yeah but if i dont rub hard then it doesnt come off? Like my dry skin is weird. On Monday there will be none, then on Tuesday there will be a little, then on Wednesday there will be more, then on thursday there will be even more

Is this normal? Is it supposed to increase like that?

Using a cleanser with microbeads will prevent this build up of skin (which I think is normal without exfoliation). You can also find moisturizing/cream cleansers with microbeads for exfoliation.

If you use a cleanser that exfoliates each night, it will get rid of Monday's build up, Tuesday's build up, etc. so that you don't end up feeling like you need to scrub off your skin on Wednesday. Give it a try, your skin will feel like it does not have build up.

There IS a difference between your skin just being very dry, and there being a layer of dead skin that needs to come off.

What products are you currently using?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

thanks for the responses everyone

I use cetaphil gentle face wash. What are some suggestions that you guys have with the microbeads, that wont cause breakouts? (skeptical about changing cleansers cause of breakouts)

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

You could also massage the Cetaphil in lightly with a wet washcloth.

Don't believe people when they saying exfoliating with a washcloth is too abbrasive to your skin. It's not true. That's only if you scrub at your face with a dry washcloth, and somehow over time people translated that into the fact that using a washcloth period is bad.

Wet the cloth, put a pump of cleanser on it, and massage. You might have to experiment with what works best for you. Try what Ashley suggested first, then if that's not enough, try the washcloth.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

It's okay to use a washcloth so long as you don't pull or tug at your skin. The Cetaphil product is all you're using? No benzoyl peroxide or retinoids? Hmm... You can definitely manually exfoliate, but I think you might also benefit from a chemical exfoliant like a 2% salicylic acid, such as Neutrogena's Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-In-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment, or Paula's Choice 2% salicylic acid liquid, which should make it easier when you manually exfoliate. BHAs also exfoliate deep into the pores, so they are really great to use. I hope this condition clears up for you!