Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nofoodacid

CULPRIT-ACIDIC FOODS!

After a life-long battle with constant facial acne, and countless unproductive visits to various dermatologists, I discovered by accident that my system is very sensitive to onions, scallions, citrus, some (but not all) fruits and berries. The realization came slowly, over many years primarily because there is a time lapse between the ingestion of an offending substance and breakout. It was difficult to connect the particular food substance and its effect. Plus, these are foods we are advised to eat in a healthy diet. Not greasy or sweet, full of nutrients.

I tested my suspicion by eliminating any acid-containing foods from my diet for a period of two weeks. My skin cleared up completely. What a relief after living with the condition for four decades! Next, I added onion to my diet. I broke out so badly I couldn't go out in public for a week. I let my skin clear and then ate an orange. Bad breakout, again.

I have since been able to re-introduce tomatoes, green peppers and small, occasional splashes of balsamic vinegar into my diet. Once in a while, I will unsuspectingly encounter a food substance that will trigger an outbreak, but it always comes down to acid-content.

The reason I am writing this is that I can't believe that I am the only person in the universe who suffered from unrelenting acne caused by normally nutritious foods. It would never have occurred to me that certain components in a healthy diet could be the cause of my acne.

Of course, most people's acne is probably not caused by acidic foods. But, if there are any acne sufferers out there who may, unknowingly, be harboring a similar sensitivity, I would want to alert them to the possibility that the cure to their pain may be in identifying and eliminating perfectly nutritious food substances from their diet.

Oh, by the way, on the positive side, dark chocolate makes my skin luminous!!!

I hope my experience can help somebody.

Very interesting! Also interesting how stomach acid and digestion and gut all link up together! :)

You are the third person I've seen on here who says their acne was triggered by citrus fruits. :)

This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing, and glad to hear you figured out whats causing your acne.

Have you ever read about Fructose Malabsorption, or Dietary Fructose Intolerance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

Based on your experience with fruits and onions, it sounds like this might be a potential underlying cause of your problems.

I am able to eat onions, but if I eat anything with a high ratio of fructose, I get cystic acne. Cutting out apples, pears, and oranges from my diet has all but cured my cystic acne. The only fruit I eat now are blueberries. Like you, I never would have guessed that something healthy like fruit, could have been causing my acne.

This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing, and glad to hear you figured out whats causing your acne.

Have you ever read about Fructose Malabsorption, or Dietary Fructose Intolerance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

Based on your experience with fruits and onions, it sounds like this might be a potential underlying cause of your problems.

I am able to eat onions, but if I eat anything with a high ratio of fructose, I get cystic acne. Cutting out apples, pears, and oranges from my diet has all but cured my cystic acne. The only fruit I eat now are blueberries. Like you, I never would have guessed that something healthy like fruit, could have been causing my acne.

I believe a hydrogen breath test diagnoses fructose mal-absorption.

You are the third person I've seen on here who says their acne was triggered by citrus fruits. :)

I get cysts from many citrus fruits. But it's not about the acid. I eat plenty of acidic foods, including lemons and Persian limes without a problem. I get cysts from key limes, though.

Oh, by the way, on the positive side, dark chocolate makes my skin luminous!!!

If the dark chocolate is pure (no alkali), it's acidic.