Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lj123

Spironolactone Advice!

Hi, I am a 22 year old female and have been dealing with acne for about 2 years now. It was never bad until my sophomore year of college and then I started getting it really bad on my face back and occasionally chest. It's been on and off but has been really bad now for the past year. In October I was put on Tazorac .05% cream, and it helped but not enough. Plus my chest and back are still bad. I am on Ortho Tricyclin Low and just started taking spironolactone 25 mg two weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it will take to see results? My face is better (lots of residue from old zits), but my chest has never been worse, and its not even usually a problem spot! It looked so allergic that I have even been trying some steroid cream on it. PLEASE any advice that can help I would love. My dad is in drug safety and won't let me go on Accutane. This is my last hope. I will try anything to fix this problem once and for all!

My dermatolgist put me on 100mg right away...and I don't consider myselft to have severe acne. Any way, I've read on here that highter a higher does works better. Some people start a a low dose like you and then gradually work their way up. I guess it depends on the side effects too. I for one, didn't experience any side effects on 100mg, which I took for 1 month. I'm now on 150mg my 3rd week. I did have dry mouth, around corner of mouth. I gues "cotton mouth" is what you call it. But it went away within a week. The 2n'd thing I've notices is that my mensutrual cycle, was 22 days unlike my normal 35-40 days. My acne is improving, not to the point were I wish, but I've been told that you have to be very patient with spiro. Some saw results in their 4 month. Im a "I want results" now kinda person....but I guess this is good for me since I'm learing to be patient. I pray to God this will have good results.

My dermatolgist put me on 100mg right away...and I don't consider myselft to have severe acne. Any way, I've read on here that highter a higher does works better. Some people start a a low dose like you and then gradually work their way up. I guess it depends on the side effects too. I for one, didn't experience any side effects on 100mg, which I took for 1 month. I'm now on 150mg my 3rd week. I did have dry mouth, around corner of mouth. I gues "cotton mouth" is what you call it. But it went away within a week. The 2n'd thing I've notices is that my mensutrual cycle, was 22 days unlike my normal 35-40 days. My acne is improving, not to the point were I wish, but I've been told that you have to be very patient with spiro. Some saw results in their 4 month. Im a "I want results" now kinda person....but I guess this is good for me since I'm learing to be patient. I pray to God this will have good results.

Thanks a lot. I've had 0 side effects on the 25mg but no results...going on three weeks. I am going to call the derm and ask to be upped ASAP! Maybe she'll let me take more than one tablet a day or something...anyway thanks for the advice. Do you have any body acne or is it just facial? What i would love to see results most on right now is my chest

I get body acne one in a great while - mostly on my back, which I don't mind too much. About 1 month ago, I got an outbreak all of a sudden under my chin/jawline area. I've always had acne, but i could manage it. But his outbreak was too much to ignore. Isn't it just terrible, we are going through this? It really brings you down. Just hoping for the best with this spiro.

I started Spiro about 2 months ago. My derm started me on 75mg but I think I'm going to see if he can bump it up. Things have calmed down but what's stayed has been pretty persistent. In my research I've learned that it can take up to 6 months to see effects. The only side effect I've noticed is excessive urination which makes sense since it's a diuretic. My mom was listening to a talk show with the doctors that created Proactiv and they said pretty much the best and only worthwhile treatment is spiro because of the hormonal factor. Definitely don't go on Accutane! I've tried it at least 3 times and I think it messed me up :(

Yeah. I have a feeling it must be hormonal, because it didn't set in like this until I was around 20. Used to get occasional breakout in high school but never even new acne existed on chest or back. My chest is literally so disgusting right now I would do anything to get rid of it. I just don't think 25 mg of spironolactone is going to do anything or is worth it. I am going to go the rest of the semester without accutane but I'm afraid nothing else will work. I am starting law school next year, so my stress is going to be upped which means that the acne probably won't subside. That is interesting, what the talk show said ...

So did accutane work at all for you? What do you mean by it messed you up?

I am just so sick of this, self-confidence is completely to 0 and now I can't even wear v-neck tops!

The first couple rounds of Accutane were ok but didn't last long. This last round lasted almost a year. Like I said before, I had pimples on my face, neck, chest and back. I got a few teeny pimples on my face but not one anywhere else! I do live at the beach and swim a couple times a week throughout the summer and I think the saltwater was a big help too (I started breaking out again in October). I've never had major side effects while on accutane but now I have pretty bad stomach issues, I don't want to totally blame accutane for that though. I'd never do it again just because it's such a hardcore drug. Actually those doctors on the program said accutane may not be the cause of stomach problems like people claim, but rather, people who are prone to hormonal acne may also be prone to other health issues. Makes sense. I've just taken sooooo much medicine for this over the years that I'm over it! I actually quit using acne spot treatments too and just use aloe now. It doesn't dry me out and actually clears things up pretty quickly.

Hey, you sound just like me! I am 21, never had acne in highschool. Then my sophmore year of college BAM! mostly my forehead. then the breakout caused anxiety attacks and depression and tons of stress...which caused it to just not go away and breakout other places. So I went into the derm and got spiro. I started on 50mg..then after a month or so went to 75..then to 100 and now i have been on 125 for about a month. All together I have been on spiro for 9 months. Its been the hardest year I have ever had because of the low self esteem although, it was never "that bad" according to others. Now Im about 85-90 percent clear due to a little breakout probably because I should be starting any day now. Spiro has caused my periods to be over 2 weeks later then the previous month, every month :/ So im assuming the little breakout I had was because of that. but a few weeks ago I was like 99% clear and feeling so great. now im feeling down again..blah :(

A part of me wants to up the dose again because I want PERFECT skin. I have mild acne right now. seem to always have at least 1 or 2 bumps on my face...which is so depressing because I had perfect skin a few years back. I refuse to get on birth control because I dont want to make things worse and I know sometimes that happens :/ I dont really know what to do. but I am thankful that im way more clear then I was over the summer!

I went to my dermatologist yesterday. He didn't want to up my dose. He said I should stick with 150mg. another month. I asked him why my oil production has not gone down at all. He said it was because we haven't reach a dosage that affects it yet. Hence that is why I don't have many side effects. The only thing it has effected is my cycle. These past 2 months. I've had 21 day and 16 day cycles. My normal is 35-45 days. At one point in my life I even remember having a 52 day cycle. Anyways, if I didn't want my period to come every 7 days, then I shoudl stick with 150mgs for now and see what happens. I'm content with my face today. Although I do have pimples on my right temple. yesterday they were at that "ready to pop" stage, but I didn't touch them. I woke up this morning and the white head was gone. Small red bump is left. I THINK

I went to my dermatologist yesterday. He didn't want to up my dose. He said I should stick with 150mg. another month. I asked him why my oil production has not gone down at all. He said it was because we haven't reach a dosage that affects it yet. Hence that is why I don't have many side effects. The only thing it has effected is my cycle. These past 2 months. I've had 21 day and 16 day cycles. My normal is 35-45 days. At one point in my life I even remember having a 52 day cycle. Anyways, if I didn't want my period to come every 7 days, then I shoudl stick with 150mgs for now and see what happens. I'm content with my face today. Although I do have pimples on my right temple. yesterday they were at that "ready to pop" stage, but I didn't touch them. I woke up this morning and the white head was gone. Small red bump is left. I THINK I notice my zits healing a lot faster...hope I'm not imagining this LOL!!!