Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sassyblonde007

Doxycycline still breaking out after 4 weeks on Meds...

Hi all I am new to acne.org. I just wanted to start out by thanking all of you for sharing you struggles and accomplishments with acne. I am 29 years old, a mother of 20 month old twin daughters, and a stay/work from home Mom. I have had acne pertty much all my life. It has really effected my quality of life, much like several of you that post on these boards. I have attempted suicide in the past and had to be placed in a mental facility for several days because I was so severely depressed that my husband and family were not sure if I was capable of hurting myself again. A lot of the depression stems from bitter teasing through out middle school and high school. I wont go into how severe the teasing was.

I am just venting because I am back on Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg BID for the billionth time as well as spiro 50 mg QD and BP 4% (I believe) face wash. I am frustrated because I have been faithful to my meds for 4 weeks, tomorrow and I am still breaking out. Seems like I am getting 2-3 zits a day. Granted they are not huge cysts but they are under the skin and will not go away. No matter how long I leave them alone they still stay under the skin :mad: I have to pop them in order for them to go away, but this also leaves a red mark behind that takes forever to heal. Just wondering if anyone has had this same issue with Doxycycline?? Thanks for your feedback in advance :D:D Oh and I ment to add that each time I have taken an acne script from the dermo I have not exceded more than 3-5 months. I have taken tetracycline, minocycline and doxycycline no accutane. Also spiro and ortho-tri-cycline. With my depression history I do not want to chance the side effects of accutane. My last script of any acne med was back in AUG of 2009 (Doxy 100mg BID) for a few months. Havent had any problems with my skin until the middle of JAN 2011.

Edited by sassyblonde007

Hi all I am new to acne.org. I just wanted to start out by thanking all of you for sharing you struggles and accomplishments with acne. I am 29 years old, a mother of 20 month old twin daughters, and a stay/work from home Mom. I have had acne pertty much all my life. It has really effected my quality of life, much like several of you that post on these boards. I have attempted suicide in the past and had to be placed in a mental facility for several days because I was so severely depressed that my husband and family were not sure if I was capable of hurting myself again. A lot of the depression stems from bitter teasing through out middle school and high school. I wont go into how severe the teasing was.

I am just venting because I am back on Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg BID for the billionth time as well as spiro 50 mg QD and BP 4% (I believe) face wash. I am frustrated because I have been faithful to my meds for 4 weeks, tomorrow and I am still breaking out. Seems like I am getting 2-3 zits a day. Granted they are not huge cysts but they are under the skin and will not go away. No matter how long I leave them alone they still stay under the skin :mad: I have to pop them in order for them to go away, but this also leaves a red mark behind that takes forever to heal. Just wondering if anyone has had this same issue with Doxycycline?? Thanks for your feedback in advance :D:D Oh and I ment to add that each time I have taken an acne script from the dermo I have not exceded more than 3-5 months. I have taken tetracycline, minocycline and doxycycline no accutane. Also spiro and ortho-tri-cycline. With my depression history I do not want to chance the side effects of accutane. My last script of any acne med was back in AUG of 2009 (Doxy 100mg BID) for a few months. Havent had any problems with my skin until the middle of JAN 2011.

So this is my first time posting here

wot i wanna talk bout is alternatives to doxycycline

one such antibiotic is azithromycin

My derm suggested this aftr putting me on doxy for 4 months prior to this

here's the regimen

Azithromycin 500

1 hour b4 breakfast on empty stomach this increases the absorption

do this for 3 days strictly maintaining the 1 hour gap

repeat this procedure aftr 12 days

as for topical applications u cn use BP at night strt wit 2.5 then gradually increase to 5

use clindamycin during evening

u cn also use it wit combination wit BP

just dab it on about 15 mins aftr u apply BP

Hope this helps

specially since u r tired f doxy

as for the huge cysts under the skin i had some

try this> wash your face ,get rid of the excessive oil

now keep dabbing it wit a towel dipped in hot water (adjust the temp according to ur tolerance)

do this nd within a week the cysts should soften

cysts like these cant be rid so easily there's no rapid cure for it

AVOID picking or fingering these cysts

Hope this helps :pray:

I am so sorry! I know how you feel! I was on that medicine too, last year, it made my skin the worst it has ever been! The best thing I did was get off that pill!

I know everyone is different, but it sounds like it's not working for you. I would go back to the derm and ask for accutane. I waited for so long to take the leap. I wish I had done it sooner, because now I have a lot of scarring :( I just want clear skin, like everyone else.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I am so sorry! I know how you feel! I was on that medicine too, last year, it made my skin the worst it has ever been! The best thing I did was get off that pill!

I know everyone is different, but it sounds like it's not working for you. I would go back to the derm and ask for accutane. I waited for so long to take the leap. I wish I had done it sooner, because now I have a lot of scarring :( I just want clear skin, like everyone else.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

PS, I think the depression will get better if you have more confidence in your appearence!

You're situation sounds very similar to mine. I am a 27 year old male. My struggle with acne really just began about 4 months ago. As a teenager and through my 20's I never had issues with my skin that I was not able to handle with over the counter products. However, 1 month after my 27th birthday my skin just began going out of control. I was breaking out every other day and over the counter meds were not working so I went to a dermatologist. My derm first prescribed me Dorxy (150 mg) which is new version of doxycycline and I cleared up greatly my first 2 weeks and then it was all down hill after that. I broke out constantly the entire time with my breakouts slowing down around month 2 or so, but never stopping all together. I am now into my 4th month of Doxycycline 100 mg and I am still not impressed. I am at my wits about what to try next. I am honestly thinking about going back to over the counter meds and weening off of antibiotics because they have done absolutely nothing for me this entire time. I am thinking of just moving on to accutane and getting this over with because I really can't handle this anymore. It's super frustrating for me.

Most antibiotics are prescribed for their effect on drying the skin and not for the anti-bacterial properties. Unfortunately too, there are plenty of antibiotic resistant bacteria out there as well. The most tried and true method of arresting severe acne is accutane, like it or not.

For large cysts injections of anti-inflammatories are an effective way to get rid of them, followed by drainage and excision.

It's possible that you might react more favorably to another antibiotic or a stronger dosage. In any event, you should go back to your derm and see what other options are available to you in your particular situation.

All the best,

Joe Zit

I knw evry1 responds differently to meds

but wotevr u do dont try accutane

,Accutane temporarily supresses the oil production,all those claims about regulating the sebum is BS

it WONT regulate oil production, even if it helps u clear up it will be at the cost of temporarily torturing ur skin causing it to peel horribly,

Futhermore even if it helps u clear up u will have to continue it to keep ur face clear ,wich wont be possible because accutane cannot be taken for a longer period.

Playing wit hormones is extremely dangerous :naughty:

I had bought Sotret i read the side effects on the leaflet these include physical as well as psychological side effects

nd i returnd the box immediately

In my opinion doxy is a little weak when it comes to clearing the skin

it is best used for Controlling the skin wen ur condition has stabilized

My derm started me with minocycline thn doxy thn came azithromycin

try minocycline twice a day for 2 weeks if tht doesnt help use the azithromycin regime i postd above

Nd btw have patience its just a matter of discovering the right combination wich m sure u'll find

:pray: