Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fakename913323

Is it possible to be happy with acne?

No, definitely not, it destroys your social life. You will be socially withdrawn, and slowly become alone, all you will have is yourself, then you'll lose yourself as well. Life will become an illusion, you will feel like your body and mind are doing things by themselves, the same routine, you will find you have limits in your life, that you are just being given a walk-through of a life you can't change, a life your not in control of, a life that you feel you deserve.

Edited by Wangod

Am I happy I have it? NO WAY. Am I happy with how mild it is compared to how it used to be. HECK YES! :) I don't see every little papule or pustule and freak out now. I have them, but that's okay.

Am I happy I have it? NO WAY. Am I happy with how mild it is compared to how it used to be. HECK YES! :) I don't see every little papule or pustule and freak out now. I have them, but that's okay.

That's how I feel. I feel soooo much better than I used to, since it used to be moderately-severe and now it is mild :)

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

but ofc its not possible =) unless u have it like mild or like first times in your life n not for too long anywayz, then yea screw acne n u can still be happy etc, buut otherwise nah bro

definitely a yes. for me, i wasn't happy with severe acne, but i couldn't deal with it well, and that doesn't mean others can't. i have mild acne now, and i'm just grateful it isn't what it used to be. i have bad days where i still get really frustrated, but it's comforting when you find a regimen that keeps it under control for the most part bc you know it'll clear up soon.

yes it is! For me, i dunno growing up, there was alot of negativety in my household.. I was just a product of that, not saying I come from a bad family, just alot of negativity.. I wasn't happy before i had acne, was really unhappy when i had acne, and now years after acne, im still not happy..

I have a friend who has a serious illness, and is on the verge of dying, and he is happier than i am.. acne is just a temporary flaw or excuse not to be happy... you can be happy with or without acne.. its everything that goes into your life that affects your happyness.

No... anyone who says they are happy are kidding themselves no one can possibly be happy with shit skin.. they are denial whoever says they are happy.

Let's clarify here. It depends on how you interpret the question. Can you be happy with the acne itself? OR Can you be happy while having acne?

The way I read it, the question is whether or not you can be happy in life even though you have acne. I assume everyone else read it that way, including those who said no.

I will openly admit to being unhappy as a direct result of having acne, but I made myself feel a million times worse by constantly thinking how horrible it was and thinking I was an ugly person. That's perhaps the worst word you could use to describe yourself - ugly. When it comes to confidence and self-esteem, if you walk around thinking you're ugly and that people think you're ugly too, you're never going to get anywhere in life. By that point, you've shut yourself off from everything and you've pretty much given up.

I reached that point a few years ago but managed to do something about it eventually. Although my acne's been more controlled, on only a few occasions over the last couple of years have I been happy with the condition of my skin at that moment in time. But, I have also had moments, which probably coincide with the bad skin days, that have been some of the best moments in my life; happy moments and great memories. Might as well focus on those instead of thinking back to how my skin was.

As I write this, my skin is looking really good today. I have just one spot, redness is down and it's actually looking good to the point where I'm admiring it. Hypothetically, if it carries on like this and I've turned a corner to long-term improvements following recent changes to the way I look after my skin, and I go out and be "happy", I'll look back at all the wasted years and think, 'I should have just got on with it and done all these things and been happy, because acne doesn't deserve to take all my attention'.

So, of course, nobody is ever going to say that they're happy because they have acne or they're happy to see it, etc., but I think it's entirely reasonable that we could be happy in life despite acne. Anyone who just totally dismisses it and says, "No, not at all, you can't have a life if you have acne", etc., either needs to alter their approach a little, find some help and support, or actually start trying. Yeah, I probably sound like I'm preaching, and it might sound harsh, but it's true. I've spent almost half my life thinking that I couldn't enjoy it. I stopped myself because of my skin, my low confidence and my paranoia about how I thought others saw me. What a f**king waste! Don't think like that. Sure it's easier said than done, but there has to be a point where we pick ourselves up, battle on, and make the most of the time we have because it will all end one day. It’s as good as we make it, so we might as well try.

Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know, but the noticeable improvements to the condition of my skin have come a few weeks since I changed my approach, changed my attitude, looked for positivity in life and reduced the amount of negative energy I put into thinking about my skin. I've also reduced the number of products I use. Now it's basic - wash twice a day and apply Isotretinoin when needed. That's it. And yes, I'm fully aware that what works for one person might not work for another or might not be appropriate, but we all have to keep going and hopefully, eventually, seek out what works.

Like I said in my first reply, I do think it's possible and I will get there. The reason I will get there is because I'm going to allow myself to be happy. I'm going to focus on that from now on. It's become clear to me that when I focus on something, I become dedicated to it. Hell, I reckon I can say that I became pretty dedicated to making myself feel ugly for 12 years straight. So, I got to thinking, imagine if I could apply that same degree of "dedication", in a positive way, to being happy, liking myself, and enjoying life. Might as well give it a go because we only get one shot!

Edited by PaulH85

Yes it's possible! You just can't let it control you all the time. It's hard but I have been dealing with it everyday and I'm just happy I have so many wonderful people around me who love me for me. Not for what I look like(even if it is commented on sometimes :/) I'm finding what works for me and having a wonderful time in life! I decided I'm not going to let my skin stop me from some of the best years of my life. Thinking about it 24/7 and staying inside won't help it anymore than going out and hanging with my friends. And SHOPPING. :P

No, definitely not, it destroys your social life. You will be socially withdrawn, and slowly become alone, all you will have is yourself, then you'll lose yourself as well. Life will become an illusion, you will feel like your body and mind are doing things by themselves, the same routine, you will find you have limits in your life, that you are just being given a walk-through of a life you can't change, a life your not in control of, a life that you feel you deserve.

Sadly, this is exactly how I feel.

:boohoo: