Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juliecakess

Wait... are potatoes bad for your skin?

Because I have been eating potatoes off the grill all week. I eat it with grilled chicken, broccoli, onions, and asparagus. Is it true? Do potatoes cause acne-related problems at all??

On the Glycemic Index I found through this site, one of the bullet points for switching to a low GI diet, included: Reduce the amount of potatoes you eat.

... :/

Edited by Juliecakess

Potatoes are probably just fine for you, assuming that you don't prepare them in a way that is unhealthy (e.g. French fries, which are deep fried and covered in salt).

They do get a bad rap for being high on the glycemic index and high in carbs. However they're low in glycemic load and the carbs come from starch, which is one of the best way to get carbs.

My opinion: potatoes are real food, eat up! Although as always, watch how your body reacts to them, especially since they have a lot of starch.

All potatoes except new potatoes and sweet potatos are high GI.

But has hypersniper said they are fairly low GL, meaning that even a fairly large potato doesnt contain too many carbs, lots of water content basically.

Personally though to be on the safe side I stick with new potatoes and sweet potatoes only

Yeah, switch to sweet potatoes instead ! They're more nutritious, don't spike your blood sugar as much, and they're friggin delicious.

All potatoes except new potatoes and sweet potatos are high GI.

But has hypersniper said they are fairly low GL, meaning that even a fairly large potato doesnt contain too many carbs, lots of water content basically.

Personally though to be on the safe side I stick with new potatoes and sweet potatoes only

And sweet potatoes have so much more nutritional value and flavor.

The only time I've heard to avoid potatoes is when I read about ayurveda and avoiding nightshades. It's actually pretty interesting but I haven't really read thaat much about ayurvedic medicine.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Because of their starchy nature, potatoes tend to turn into sugar quickly in the blood stream causing blood sugar spikes, which can definitely cause acne.

Sweet potatoes seem to have a lesser effect and a lot more nutrients.

White potatoes break me out. I had a small plain baked potato with salt a few days ago (first one in over a year) and I developed a few spots from it where my skin had been 100% clear. This happens if I eat any potato products at all (sweet potatoes excluded).

So yes, potatoes can cause acne.

Guest alexford

Potatoes are the most consumed “vegetable†in the world. Potato chips, french fries, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, and more of the same. Redskin potatoes, russet potatoes, Idaho potatoes, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and more of the same. What is best? A sweet potato baked at a low temperature is the most nutritious.

While it is best to avoid potatoes if you want acne free skin, the sweet potato has an abundance of benefits compared to your traditional white potato. According to nutrition data, a sweet potato, baked with skin, is loaded with Vitamin A. I constantly read how people overdose on a Vitamin A pill as they try to mimic Accutane, the “cure†for acne, simply a form of Vitamin A. It makes sense that a sweet potato, along with hundreds of other foods are much better choices… anyone else agree? The sweet potato also contains a considerable amount of other beautifying vitamins and minerals.

oh bah, read harder ash.

Yeah, but she brings up a point about not being paranoid. Instead, be informed. Don't Panic.

OP, It is the glycemic load of your meals, drinks and snacks that matter. It is ok for a meal to include a high GI food if the other components are low. But why not just eat much better, more nutritional foods instead? Like sweet potatoes.

BTW, the GI of the potato will vary with how you cook it. Same with pasta. Al dente has a lower GI than overcooked to mush pasta.

Edited by alternativista

^That, and you can even out the GI by what you put on it. I used to prepare potatoes with cooked greens, garlic, spices, and olive oil on top. It was delicious and never broke me out.

@maria

Sweet potatoes have a higher GL than white potatoes. I dont think you know what you are talking about

@alex

why should i avoid potatoes if they are coked properly?

@unclebuck

Since when do carbs cuase acne? Should i get rid of my green smoothies becuase the are 100% carbs? NO!!

i think what u mean is certain GRAINS, which are carbs, can cause acne.

@maria

Sweet potatoes have a higher GL than white potatoes. I dont think you know what you are talking about

@alex

@unclebuck

Since when do carbs cuase acne? Should i get rid of my green smoothies becuase the are 100% carbs? NO!!

FALSE.

Because of their starchy nature, potatoes tend to turn into sugar quickly in the blood stream causing blood sugar spikes, which can definitely cause acne.

Sweet potatoes seem to have a lesser effect and a lot more nutrients.

White potatoes break me out. I had a small plain baked potato with salt a few days ago (first one in over a year) and I developed a few spots from it where my skin had been 100% clear. This happens if I eat any potato products at all (sweet potatoes excluded).

So yes, potatoes can cause acne.

Is it that the potatoes cause acne or the way your body processes the potatoes causes acne?

@maria

@alex

@unclebuck

What are you on about? Green vegetables have very little carbs.

And no, I mean all sugar. It all spikes hormones.

@maria

@alex

@unclebuck

FALSE.

hm.

harvard says otherwise...

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Gly...r_100_foods.htm

@maria

@alex

@unclebuck

What are you on about? Green vegetables have very little carbs.

And no, I mean all sugar. It all spikes hormones.

its time to stop posting son.

Yep, pretty much. ^

Carbs cause acne, potato is high carb.

carbs don't cause acne.

There's a whole thread about tribes who are acne free and get 80% of their calories from carbs. Also Japan was acne-free while having a diet rich in carbohydrates.

@maria

@alex

@unclebuck

FALSE.

hm.

According to that chart, the GL is just about equal to that of a boiled potato, but a potato prepared any other way has a much higher GL. :whistle:

@maria

@alex

@unclebuck

FALSE.

hm.

According to that chart, the GL is just about equal to that of a boiled potato, but a potato prepared any other way has a much higher GL. :whistle:

wait a minute. your telling me that the number 14=17 now? that is awesome news.

@maria

@alex

@unclebuck

FALSE.

hm.

Please note where I said "just about".

:rolleyes:

In general, white potatoes have a higher GL. One way of preparing them might make the GL slightly lower, but on average, the GL of sweet potatoes is lower.

@maria

@alex

@unclebuck

FALSE.

hm.

Please note where I said "just about".

:rolleyes:

In general, white potatoes have a higher GL. One way of preparing them might make the GL slightly lower, but on average, the GL of sweet potatoes is lower.

then why did you say my original post was "false"?

this is too easy

most likely anything can be high GL if cooked unproperly

Edited by alicecooper