Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plateaukid

Your Parents Making Things Worse For U

Well, I think that I just blew my cover....today there was something in the mail from a derm that I had a consultation with. Normally my Dad doesn't open my mail, but for some reason he felt compelled to open it this time, probably because it was from a medical professional that he never heard of me visiting before. In it was a bill for part of the consultation that the insurance could not pick up. Now he is suspicious as to what I'm up to since I lied and told him I was seeing my regular derm. This is starting to really get on my nerves. I've just started doing Smoothbeam treatments and I'm annoyed at the fact that he might try to stop me somehow. This really pisses me off because I'm paying it with my own $$$$$, not his, so I don't understand why the hell he's trying to get in my way. When I had my first laser last summer he was kind of hesitant about it but agreed to it. Since that didn't work, I am trying to Smoothbeam in hopes of getting some better results. Now he's trying to stop me. What the hell????!!!!! Ughhh.....I feel like my Dad doesn't make life easier for me......he just makes it worse by getting in my way.......I feel really angry and sad right now. I am so looking forward to going away from grad school and getting away from him.....I'll truly be free to make my own decisions and he can't do jack about it cuz I'm away.

I'm 21.....my college is close to home so I'm living at home my senior year to save some $$ for grad school. I lived on campus my first three years though, so it was nice not have to deal with all that crap you get from your parents every single day. Ughhh...........I think my Dad needs to back off and mind his own business this time. Yeah, he's my Dad....but he's not helping here and being more of a pain in the ass.....I see him now as a barrier on my road to happiness...I think that best sums up my feeling towards him.

That makes me mad, and I don't even know you or your dad, lol. I mean, why would your dad stop you? Does he even have a reason?

Anyway, if you're paying for everything with your own money, then there isn't a damn thing he can do to stop you.

My parent's aren't much help either sometimes... Not because they don't help with meds and stuff, but because they try to make my acne seem like a trivial thing, and God help me if they ever catch me crying because of it, because that's 'weak' and they're trying to raise a 'strong' daughter. It hurts that they aren't more supportive that way.

My Dad is trying to stop me because he thinks it will be a waste of my $$$. He also thinks that I let it get to me too much...how I look and stuff. But if they took me to a derm earlier on instead of stop saying it will go away when my face was getting worse I wouldn't be in this mess today. I've been working full-time this summer with my internship and I'm paying off my Smoothbeam treatments and a GMAT(that's the graduate management admissions test for graduate business programs) course...that will end up costing about $2200 and I'll still have a good $2000 left at least I think. I think it's well spent but he apparently doesn't think so. Maybe it's because he wants me to pay for a car with the $$. Yeah, I need a car, but I would rather have better looking skin first....I can always wait on the car....

My Dad is trying to stop me because he thinks it will be a waste of my $$$. He also thinks that I let it get to me too much...how I look and stuff. But if they took me to a derm earlier on instead of stop saying it will go away when my face was getting worse I wouldn't be in this mess today. I've been working full-time this summer with my internship and I'm paying off my Smoothbeam treatments and a GMAT(that's the graduate management admissions test for graduate business programs) course...that will end up costing about $2200 and I'll still have a good $2000 left at least I think. I think it's well spent but he apparently doesn't think so. Maybe it's because he wants me to pay for a car with the $$. Yeah, I need a car, but I would rather have better looking skin first....I can always wait on the car....

I completely understand stoneman. I think that we have to take matters in our own hand and not count on our parents to help us with the problem, whether it be emotionally or financially to treat the problem. It's hard enough for us in college to deal with all the stress that comes from classes, work, extracurricular activities, etc. The last thing we need is to worry about our skin 24/7. I can attribute certain failures in my academic performance partially to my skin....I think about it all the time that I can't concentrate on my classwork. And then my parents are just pretending nothing is going wrong when the past 7 years of my life has been totally crappy and just miserable. I have no real life outside of class, my internship, and extracurricular activities. It's been just so depressing...these past 7 years I've had to deal with this and moving. I feel that I'm running out of time, ya know. This is suppose to be a time when I'm suppose to be enjoying life...I make an effort to do so but it's hard. That's why I'm so determined to see that my 6 Smoothbeam treatments are done....the longer I do nothing about it the worse it is going to get.

I completely understand stoneman.  I think that we have to take matters in our own hand and not count on our parents to help us with the problem, whether it be emotionally or financially to treat the problem.  It's hard enough for us in college to deal with all the stress that comes from classes, work, extracurricular activities, etc.  The last thing we need is to worry about our skin 24/7.  I can attribute certain failures in my academic performance partially to my skin....I think about it all the time that I can't concentrate on my classwork.  And then my parents are just pretending nothing is going wrong when the past 7 years of my life has been totally crappy and just miserable.  I have no real life outside of class, my internship, and extracurricular activities.  It's been just so depressing...these past 7 years I've had to deal with this and moving.  I feel that I'm running out of time, ya know.  This is suppose to be a time when I'm suppose to be enjoying life...I make an effort to do so but it's hard.  That's why I'm so determined to see that my 6 Smoothbeam treatments are done....the longer I do nothing about it the worse it is going to get.