Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So like all users on this site, I am an acne sufferer. I have acne conglobata, the worst type of acne any person can have. I've been suffering from acne ever since I entered high school, and it wasn't a big deal until I got to college. I enrolled in a predominately caucasian school, and I started to have strange feelings about myself. My college experience has been hell for me, as I never got the chance to make friends, and experience college life. But to top it off, I started to feel extremely inferior to other races, particularly, the caucasian community. There are absolutely no good qualities I can fall back on. I'm a short skinny asian guy who has a fucked up face, and I do not consider myself to be attractive at all even w/o my acne. When I look at my caucasian peers, it seems as though they've been granted with everything. The girls at my school are extremely tall and model-like, and have absolutely no acne. The same goes for guys, as they are also extremely tall, and have little to no acne. I look at myself and compare myself with these people, and I feel like absolute shit. People look at me in the elevators and at the cafeteria like I'm some sort of a retard, wondering what this scrawny little asian kid was doing in a place like this. It's really hard for someone like me, to accept myself knowing that I don't have any good qualities to fall back on. My intelligence isn't that great either, as I am horrible at mathematics, and I don't have any particular interests in other areas. Just something that I would like to share, about the inferiority complex I've been having. And to the rest of you, what would you think to yourselves, if you saw a guy like me. Thanks.

I would totally befriend you if i went to ur college. i am not just saying that bc of what you typed. i am VERY sorry to hear about how u feel. i always try to put myself in ones shoes and try to feel what they are feeling, and i feel for you. i understand that maybe the population at ur school is mainly caucasian, but don't think every caucasian person is blessed, or..acts as they do (to u). trust me it isn't like that. i am caucasian, suffer from acne, etc. i try to accept people just as they are as long as they are nice to me haha. in terms of not being interested in topics at school, you should try to take diff classes and find your niche =] i recommend a psychology class=]

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

hey sopdebottom id totally be your friend irl actually xD...thats if i wouldnt be having social anxiety thing tho :shifty: but anywayz is it rly that bad dude? :< u have that conglobata thing on your face as well? :/

but hey i suck at math too bro! :hifive:

I'm caucasian, suffer from acne, anxiety, lack of confidence and self-esteem issues.

I promise you that our race or our culture and so on have no bearing as to whether or not we can avoid these things.

Granted, I don't have Conglobata and can't imagine what that must be like, and I genuinely feel for you there. But all the other stuff in terms of how we feel about ourselves and the inferiority that can come with any degree of acne - or indeed anything that can make us stand out in a way we might not like - is felt by the majority on these boards. You are not alone.

Equally, I can assure that the people you encountered in school, college and in life on a day-to-day basis, are not perfect or ideal. Lets say, for example, they have perfect skin, that doesn't mean they don't have issues in life. Plus, they might look good, but it doesn't make them nice people. Not in a way that truly counts.

If there's one thing I've learnt over the last week as I've really started to open up to people about my skin, anxiety and lack of confidence, it is that other people have issues too. I swear, in the last week, I have spoken to people I hardly know about this, and they've responded in kind with their own tales of anxiety, depression, breakdowns... things I would not have known had I not taken the time to talk to these people or listen. They are the same people who I have thought of for years as being perfect or as having no worries at all, or having no idea what it feels like being me and being someone who has acne. I've found that plenty of people have big issues going on that are hidden away. They can hide them because they're not physical. Doesn't mean they are not there.

I know it's easier said than done, but you really do have to try and work on what seems to be a massive inferiority complex. Don't get me wrong, I can only base this on personal experience, having no medical knowledge - and for what it's worth, I'm terrible at maths, too! :doh: - but I hope this is of use.

Based on my own attempts, the best way I found was to start by being happy on my own. Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of being happy around others, but it's a gradual process. If you can learn to relax by yourself and be happy in your own company, in time you may be able to take that with you when amongst other people.

I don't know you and can only go by what you've written here, but based on even that alone, I can see that you think about lots of things and you consider what's going on around you; how others behave and why they behave as they do. I'd say you're thoughtful, kind, and quite empathetic. As it goes, it seems most acne suffers have these fine qualities, perhaps as a direct result of what they've gone through.

Just as Valerie said, you have to find your niche. Find your strengths and play to them.

I hope you'll stick with the board and see if you can take something from what people write here and turn it into a positive feeling about yourself. Don't give up, work out how you can make yourself feel better, and focus on achieving it. Don't let it get the better of you, don't keep it all inside. If you can share it with a counsellor and feel that could help, give that a try. If you don't feel up to that, put it down in writing or something. Share it here and people will listen. This is a great place to be.

Stay strong! :)

Edited by PaulH85

So like all users on this site, I am an acne sufferer. I have acne conglobata, the worst type of acne any person can have. I've been suffering from acne ever since I entered high school, and it wasn't a big deal until I got to college. I enrolled in a predominately caucasian school, and I started to have strange feelings about myself. My college experience has been hell for me, as I never got the chance to make friends, and experience college life. But to top it off, I started to feel extremely inferior to other races, particularly, the caucasian community. There are absolutely no good qualities I can fall back on. I'm a short skinny asian guy who has a fucked up face, and I do not consider myself to be attractive at all even w/o my acne. When I look at my caucasian peers, it seems as though they've been granted with everything. The girls at my school are extremely tall and model-like, and have absolutely no acne. The same goes for guys, as they are also extremely tall, and have little to no acne. I look at myself and compare myself with these people, and I feel like absolute shit. People look at me in the elevators and at the cafeteria like I'm some sort of a retard, wondering what this scrawny little asian kid was doing in a place like this. It's really hard for someone like me, to accept myself knowing that I don't have any good qualities to fall back on. My intelligence isn't that great either, as I am horrible at mathematics, and I don't have any particular interests in other areas. Just something that I would like to share, about the inferiority complex I've been having. And to the rest of you, what would you think to yourselves, if you saw a guy like me. Thanks.

You ask what pepole would think to themselves if they saw a guy like you. To be honest i would hardly notice you... i wouldn't take a second look. I would go on about my day. However, if you said something.. anything.. like whats up or have a good day... i would remember you and keep in mind you might be a cool or nice kid. My point is.. if you want to be noticed.. then put yourself out there and push yourself make an effort even in the smallest ways mean a lot to some people.

I don't believe people are necessarily "intelligent" or "talented" We all learn different ways and may have a certain bent towards various activities but really any skill I accomplished just took a lot of practice. I wasn't very good at any skill I've learned when I started and it also took some time for me to get the hang of college classes when I was younger. (I'm 30). College was tough for me too, especially with the social anxiety. I do think you have good qualities, you just don't believe in yourself right now. If I saw you I would be jealous cause I'm so pale and I think it would be kind of cool to be asian. I'm struggling with my self image too and am thinking of going to counseling. I've found churches offer counseling for little or no cost as well as some places take insurance, so I'm taking advantage of that to help me through my negative beliefs about myself.