Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suee

Red/dry/sensitive/hot/itchy/peeling cheeks...

Hi, I'm a 18 year old girl and recently my cheeks have been very problematic.

Since September last year, my cheeks become really red and dry, itchy, blotchy, and very very sensitive. I feel a tingly sensation constantly because of my cheeks. Now, it's so sensitive to the extent that I can't put on sunscreen!

They're also hot when I touch them andI can feel my cheeks heat up when I talk to people or even when I'm alone.

They're also weather-sensitive- I live in Toronto so these days when I reach school, they're extremely red and blotchy :(

They're started peeling a lot lately, especially after showers. I first thought they were dead skin cells but now I realize it's the skin barrier that's peelings off that's making my cheeks so red.

Red pimples have also started to form on the middle of my cheeks.

I wash my face twice a day using Spectro Jel (cetaphil-like cleanser) and I have noticed that whenever water touches my cheeks, it would affect them. I moisturize with the Body Shop aloe soothing day cream, which has no bad ingredients and are moisturizing.

Even if I apply moisturizer, it absorbs into my skin instantly and I have to apply it every hour or so, which is just insane- that's how dry it is.

I drink a lot of water, exercise, eat lots of veggies, take vitamin c, etc and still no progress.

The thing is, I used to have very good skin; my cheeks never had pimple and were clear.

A month ago, I went to my family doctor and I was prescribed with Dermatop 0.1% Cream (Prednicarbate cream) and was told to apply it twice a day for three weeks.. yet it remained the same. and a few days back, I purchased Bio-oil and I have been putting it on for a week. Although zits appeared (I'm assuming b/c of the mineral oil) it kinda soothed my red and dry cheeks.. until yesterday. But today after my shower, they were back to they orginally were.

I really don't know what to do.. I'm really depressed right now.

Making an appointment with a derm would take forever here and I don't want to waste money on steroids that don't help at all. Can anyone please help me?

ps. Is it okay to use dermatop cream again after discontinuing for a month?

Edited by Suee

Hi there

Sounds like Seborrheic Dermatitis or Rosacea, or a mix of both. Yes, definetly see a dermatologist so that it is not mis-treated with ineffective medications/topicals.

http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/seborr...dermatitis.html

http://www.dermnetnz.org/acne/rosacea.html

http://www.rosacea.org/patients/faces.php

Shantelle

Edited by Shantelle

My skin is getting worse.. now the skin on my cheeks are peeling off so badly like a snake's skin.

It feels soo dry right now. My mom and dad are telling that it's okay, but it really isn't. They're not willing to take me to the doctor.

So I started using Dermatop cream again since yesterday. I researched and I'm not supposed to use more than 3 weeks so I'm assuming I can use it again since I stopped a month ago?

Also, would saline solution be beneficial for my skin condition? I knew this person who treated a similar condition with it..

Hi, I'm a 18 year old girl and recently my cheeks have been very problematic.

Since September last year, my cheeks become really red and dry, itchy, blotchy, and very very sensitive. I feel a tingly sensation constantly because of my cheeks. Now, it's so sensitive to the extent that I can't put on sunscreen!

They're also hot when I touch them andI can feel my cheeks heat up when I talk to people or even when I'm alone.

They're also weather-sensitive- I live in Toronto so these days when I reach school, they're extremely red and blotchy :(

They're started peeling a lot lately, especially after showers. I first thought they were dead skin cells but now I realize it's the skin barrier that's peelings off that's making my cheeks so red.

Red pimples have also started to form on the middle of my cheeks.

I wash my face twice a day using Spectro Jel (cetaphil-like cleanser) and I have noticed that whenever water touches my cheeks, it would affect them. I moisturize with the Body Shop aloe soothing day cream, which has no bad ingredients and are moisturizing.

Even if I apply moisturizer, it absorbs into my skin instantly and I have to apply it every hour or so, which is just insane- that's how dry it is.

I drink a lot of water, exercise, eat lots of veggies, take vitamin c, etc and still no progress.

The thing is, I used to have very good skin; my cheeks never had pimple and were clear.

A month ago, I went to my family doctor and I was prescribed with Dermatop 0.1% Cream (Prednicarbate cream) and was told to apply it twice a day for three weeks.. yet it remained the same. and a few days back, I purchased Bio-oil and I have been putting it on for a week. Although zits appeared (I'm assuming b/c of the mineral oil) it kinda soothed my red and dry cheeks.. until yesterday. But today after my shower, they were back to they orginally were.

I really don't know what to do.. I'm really depressed right now.

Making an appointment with a derm would take forever here and I don't want to waste money on steroids that don't help at all. Can anyone please help me?

ps. Is it okay to use dermatop cream again after discontinuing for a month?

I think I read regular faucet water has a pretty high PH level so that can be drying so you might want to cut down to washing your face once a day maybe just at night. I dont know much about the face wash your using but maybe thats irritating too?

I have the same warmness/hottness in the cheeks and my face does flush when im around people and i also have whiteheads. Ive been using the Oil Cleansing Method for about a week and a half and i havent seen much change in the whiteheads but its super moisturizing to the skin. I use grapeseed oil and jojoba oil for the method. I read using Flaxseed oil can help roseaca and sooth irritated skin but i cant find plain Flaxseed oil at the store. Jojoba oil is supposed to be similar to the same oil on your face. Its a great deep penetrating moisturizer, i found that at GNC.

I tried the bio oil stuff too and it did help the redness but like you said i dont know if its great for the face.

I think the Oil Cleansing Method could deffinatly benefit atleast your dryness, its supposed to be exfoliating as well. Im hoping to get better results soon for my other facial problems...

My skin is getting worse.. now the skin on my cheeks are peeling off so badly like a snake's skin.

It feels soo dry right now. My mom and dad are telling that it's okay, but it really isn't. They're not willing to take me to the doctor.

So I started using Dermatop cream again since yesterday. I researched and I'm not supposed to use more than 3 weeks so I'm assuming I can use it again since I stopped a month ago?

Also, would saline solution be beneficial for my skin condition? I knew this person who treated a similar condition with it..

&&

i dont know about the saline soulution. id try a test patch on your cheek or something. Its the same stuff they put in eyedrops (helps constrict the red blood vessels in your eyes so maybe it would work for your face?) and saline soulution is the same stuff they pump in your veins when your extremely dehydrated.

but maybe I'll test that out too... hmm. Let me know if you test that out.

I highly suggest NOT using Saline Solution............all it is is a combo of distilled water and salt........salt will definitely dry your skin out and likely make it much worse!

I've experienced what you're experiencing.......and was diagnosed with Rosacea. Your symptoms sound very characteristic of Rosacea. You need to be EXTREMELY careful and gentle with your skin.......if it's anything like mine, it will react to anything. I'm very fair and have very sensitive DRY skin. I wash my face with Cetaphil and moisturize with Avene light hydrating cream and Avene skin recovery cream for the super dry areas. I only wash my face ONCE a day...........and because of this it does break out a bit more with the build up of dead skin cells but it's Winter and I know it'll be better in the Spring/Summer. You could exfoliate once a week if you want to help remove the dead skin, if you feel your skin can handle that. I live about 2 hours from Toronto....so I know how brutal our weather changes can be, you gotta make sure you have a barrier on your skin at all times. A lot of people with Rosacea also get very dry skin! Also, my cheeks are way worse after I shower as well.....it's because the heat in the shower makes the capillaries under the surface level of your skin expand (that's what causes the reddness, flushed look). Try turning the heat down a bit in your shower and see if that helps.

Spectro Jel dried my face out and made it way worse, although it does have good reviews it isn't good for Rosacea type skin.

Do NOT use any steroid/cortisone creams on your skin.....it can induce Rosacea and make Rosacea worse. I know sometimes, short term, steroid creams are used to "treat" Rosacea but long term use can make symptoms worse and cause symptoms to appear. It's called Steroid Induced Rosacea and it's painful and a bitch to treat. A story for you......I used a hydrocortisone 1% cream twice a day for 3 years on my chin.......then I stopped cold turkey and my skin hated me for a good 6 months.....broke out in cystic painful acne that would burst under the skin, spread infection, and take forever to heal. This happened because steroids strengthen your skin, once you take that away the skin breaks down and becomes very weak and prone to break outs and massive scarring (although I got lucky, not one scar!). You literally can see your skin breaking down....it's weird.

It's important that you continue to drink a lot of water and eat healthy. I highly recommend getting in to your family doctor and getting a referral to a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis. I can tell you right now that Rosacea is a chronic long term thing.........BUT it can be managed and treated, just not cured. Look up some Rosacea creams like Metrogel, Metrocream, Protopic, etc.....there are a ton out there. Also.....they say getting on a topical antibiotic like Tetracycline or Doxycyline can help with the little red pimples you're getting (which i sometimes get too, another symptom of Rosacea). I've gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with my condition anymore............so I'm doing the last resort thing which is Laser Therapy. It basically bursts the blood vessels under the surface of the skin and helps reduce the flushing, burning, reddness, and little pimples. It's very expensive but I'm hopeful it will work. There are TONS of Lasers if none of the other conventional treatments work for you.

I hope this helps a bit, if you have questions just ask.

I highly suggest NOT using Saline Solution............all it is is a combo of distilled water and salt........salt will definitely dry your skin out and likely make it much worse!

I've experienced what you're experiencing.......and was diagnosed with Rosacea. Your symptoms sound very characteristic of Rosacea. You need to be EXTREMELY careful and gentle with your skin.......if it's anything like mine, it will react to anything. I'm very fair and have very sensitive DRY skin. I wash my face with Cetaphil and moisturize with Avene light hydrating cream and Avene skin recovery cream for the super dry areas. I only wash my face ONCE a day...........and because of this it does break out a bit more with the build up of dead skin cells but it's Winter and I know it'll be better in the Spring/Summer. You could exfoliate once a week if you want to help remove the dead skin, if you feel your skin can handle that. I live about 2 hours from Toronto....so I know how brutal our weather changes can be, you gotta make sure you have a barrier on your skin at all times. A lot of people with Rosacea also get very dry skin! Also, my cheeks are way worse after I shower as well.....it's because the heat in the shower makes the capillaries under the surface level of your skin expand (that's what causes the reddness, flushed look). Try turning the heat down a bit in your shower and see if that helps.

Spectro Jel dried my face out and made it way worse, although it does have good reviews it isn't good for Rosacea type skin.

Do NOT use any steroid/cortisone creams on your skin.....it can induce Rosacea and make Rosacea worse. I know sometimes, short term, steroid creams are used to "treat" Rosacea but long term use can make symptoms worse and cause symptoms to appear. It's called Steroid Induced Rosacea and it's painful and a bitch to treat. A story for you......I used a hydrocortisone 1% cream twice a day for 3 years on my chin.......then I stopped cold turkey and my skin hated me for a good 6 months.....broke out in cystic painful acne that would burst under the skin, spread infection, and take forever to heal. This happened because steroids strengthen your skin, once you take that away the skin breaks down and becomes very weak and prone to break outs and massive scarring (although I got lucky, not one scar!). You literally can see your skin breaking down....it's weird.

It's important that you continue to drink a lot of water and eat healthy. I highly recommend getting in to your family doctor and getting a referral to a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis. I can tell you right now that Rosacea is a chronic long term thing.........BUT it can be managed and treated, just not cured. Look up some Rosacea creams like Metrogel, Metrocream, Protopic, etc.....there are a ton out there. Also.....they say getting on a topical antibiotic like Tetracycline or Doxycyline can help with the little red pimples you're getting (which i sometimes get too, another symptom of Rosacea). I've gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with my condition anymore............so I'm doing the last resort thing which is Laser Therapy. It basically bursts the blood vessels under the surface of the skin and helps reduce the flushing, burning, reddness, and little pimples. It's very expensive but I'm hopeful it will work. There are TONS of Lasers if none of the other conventional treatments work for you.

Thanks guys for replies, I really appreciate it. Yesterday I stopped using Dermatop and I started using the Body Shop aloe moisturizer with Bio oil on the cheeks.

I'm going to go with this for a few days and see if it gets any better, and if not, I'll go to my family doctor again.

I also tried using Extra virgin olive oil in the shower, but to no avail. The cheek problem remained the same. Should I try using jojoba oil as my moisturizer? I heard it's really good.

Btw, I have oily skin; so if I use Cetaphil, I break out with little pimples. My cheeks were originally very slightly dry a few years back (when they were totally clear), and slowly made their way into being oily, and then eventually the peeling/redness/flushing/dryness. Thus, I just stick with using Spectro.. unfortunately there aren't any good cleansers out there in Toronto which are affordable. But the thing is, on the outside, my cheeks are oily and it's VERY dry inside (hopefully I'm making sense).

Cetaphil makes a wash for oily to combination skin that would be a lot more gentle than Spectro Jel. Spectro Jel claims to be good but my Dermatologist and Plastic Surgeon say it's full of harmful pore clogging chemicals. Your flushing could be a number of things....when you see your doctor asked to have some blood work done, be tested for Lupus, get your hormone levels checked, etc. As far as Rosacea goes it tends to run in the family.....but that could mean you had a great grandmother from way back when who could've had it.....it tends to affect people with fair skin, lighter features, European descent mainly Irish, English, and Scottish. I know it can be really frustrating but I think things will get better for you. I guess just keep making sure you moisturize and avoid things that make you flush to help reduce symptoms. Good luck with everything!