Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BioCyan

Water only method worked for me!

The acid mantle is a mixture of sebum and sweat, it is highly antibacterial and will prevent acne from forming. Using any products even non comedogenic facewashes, creams, cleansers, lotions, anything with BP, SA, or any kind of toner, any products of any kind, will remove, reduce or weaken your acid mantle, which will leave you prone to acne infections on your face. So here is what I did, I stopped using all products on my face, and just washed with water 1 - 2 times per day, nothing else, and all of my acne which was significant, went away inside of a week and I have been clear for a long time now. It is gladly gone.

Using all of those products only made my face prone to getting acne, once I stopped I was cured. Use the water only method of washing as I described and you should have the same results. I hope this inspires people to do the same and stop all product use and wash with water only.

Edited by BioCyan

If your acne is "Cured" from not putting anything on your face except water, then congratulations. You probably don't need to be on this website if that's the case because your acne would be classified as "Very mild/Non Existent".

If you do have normal acne like the rest of us, then I expect to see you back on this website soon. The website owner does recommend BP usage, but it's not like you have to endorse BP to be a member of these forums.

If your acne does decide to come back, and putting water on your face doesn't keep you clear, then feel free to return to these forums and check out other sections of the forums aside from the Acne.org Regime area.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Alot of people don't use any moisturizers or cleansers at all, and they still get acne. That's why I started using moisturizers and cleaners, because I started getting breakouts at 14/15, and I realized that I should probably clean my face once or twice a day.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Everyone I've known who had mild teenaged acne cleared up once they got out of their teens and never used products :/ My sister had MILD acne, never used acne stuff, and now has mostly clear skin (although she does use a cleanser). I broke out from tweezing when I was 14, then used pads for it, adn then makeup and skincare products, then had acne.

So I assume the OP's experience was a similar issue, of having a few breakouts, maybe even mild acne, and then using something to help treat it which made it worse, and thus water-only works.

When you were 14, did you wake up one day to 20 pimples? I doubt it. Could have just been normal "growing up" acne that might have cleared up on its own. Too bad we can never know, eh? Generally, it's easy to tell when acne was brought on my using products when your acne gets worse AFTER you start using them all. Although some people respond well to products.

Yes that's what happened to me.

Edited by BioCyan

If you put BP on your face you deserve acne, if you put SA on your face you deserve acne, if you put anything on your face you deserve acne and if you avoid eating things because you've been brainwashed to think that they give you acne than you deserve acne. Stop putting trash on your face and grow up.

This is much worse than what the other posters said about you. It's great that you found something that worked and that you're sharing it; that is appreciated and it is something that people should consider trying. But it isn't going to work for everyone. And telling people that they deserve acne is pretty mean.

Edited by dont_do_it

I thought I'd put this out there cause I've been cured from this nightmare.

I've been using only water to wash my face for the last four weeks and my skin is 100% clear. Using any products even non comedogenic cleansers would break my face out. So no greasy, dirty look at all, just clear and soft skin, using tap water. So I've also been eating whatever I want on purpose such acne myths as chocolate, soda, sugar, greasy food and guess what no acne! So my suggestion to you is to stop using any and all topical creams, cleansers, moisturizers and use only water. Moisturizers are a joke by the way, skin is naturally moisturized by sebum and sweat, if you need to apply a moisturizer then you are drying your face out from overwashing or using acne creating products.

So to sum it up, eating whatever I want, as much as I want, including tons of chocolate and candy, no acne.

Not using ANY products of any kind on my face other than water, no acne.

Stressful fast paced lifestyle, no acne.

What's shocking is that all of this stopped once I stopped putting chemicals on my face. Take my suggestion or not, it's up to you. I've done my part by putting the truth out there, putting anything on your face will weaken or remove your natural acid mantle and then you will get acne. End of story.

So I have a question and pardon my ignorance. I have had moderate/mild acne since probably age 13, I guess, and I'm about to turn 30. I also have very uneven skin tone which makeup (bare minerals) helps with. If i were to try this "water only" regimen, I'm assuming makeup has to go, right? or do you just cleanse with water even though you wear makeup? I am currently using CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer.

I have recently quit the regimen after a year of reasonably clear skin, but horrible dryness, constant peeling and redness that wasn't going anywhere fast and then in the last month or so, what appeared to be a sudden sensitization to BP. Not worth it! Anyway I'm dealing with a breakout now and am fairly depressed about it. I'd love to be able to kiss this bad skin goodbye for good and am intrigued by the water only method...

I thought I'd put this out there cause I've been cured from this nightmare.

I've been using only water to wash my face for the last four weeks and my skin is 100% clear. Using any products even non comedogenic cleansers would break my face out. So no greasy, dirty look at all, just clear and soft skin, using tap water. So I've also been eating whatever I want on purpose such acne myths as chocolate, soda, sugar, greasy food and guess what no acne! So my suggestion to you is to stop using any and all topical creams, cleansers, moisturizers and use only water. Moisturizers are a joke by the way, skin is naturally moisturized by sebum and sweat, if you need to apply a moisturizer then you are drying your face out from overwashing or using acne creating products.

So to sum it up, eating whatever I want, as much as I want, including tons of chocolate and candy, no acne.

Not using ANY products of any kind on my face other than water, no acne.

Stressful fast paced lifestyle, no acne.

What's shocking is that all of this stopped once I stopped putting chemicals on my face. Take my suggestion or not, it's up to you. I've done my part by putting the truth out there, putting anything on your face will weaken or remove your natural acid mantle and then you will get acne. End of story.

So I have a question and pardon my ignorance. I have had moderate/mild acne since probably age 13, I guess, and I'm about to turn 30. I also have very uneven skin tone which makeup (bare minerals) helps with. If i were to try this "water only" regimen, I'm assuming makeup has to go, right? or do you just cleanse with water even though you wear makeup? I am currently using CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer.

I have recently quit the regimen after a year of reasonably clear skin, but horrible dryness, constant peeling and redness that wasn't going anywhere fast and then in the last month or so, what appeared to be a sudden sensitization to BP. Not worth it! Anyway I'm dealing with a breakout now and am fairly depressed about it. I'd love to be able to kiss this bad skin goodbye for good and am intrigued by the water only method...

I'm male so I don't wear make up and it's not a method or a regimen, put water on your face and nothing else. End of story.

Edited by BioCyan

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

^ No idea what that is supposed to mean... What, always one who found out that the issue was completley related to using products when it wasn't needed? Not everyone has acne and THEN uses products, sometimes it's one pimple and then cleansers and THEN acne.

But anyways, for some people diet and lifestyle do affect their skin, although this is a smaller percentage. Most will not actually break out from food, and if they BELIEVE that they do then once they stop eating those foods they will likely stop breaking out. But yes, some people have actual intolerances or allergies and break out from food.

Still others do need products. Although I'd say that if the breakouts are minimal in number, don't use products.

I agree OP, it's really a lot about trying to give up on the fight almost. Basically saying "what acne?" and push it to the back of your mind. I'm still breaking out, but I'm hoping water-only helps. I'd been using a washcloth nightly for some weeks, which did eventually make things worse (again - I keep going back and forth between using one and not because I'd continue to get dead skin building up). I hope I can be as successful as you were! Although I think it will take me longer, since I used products for like, 7 years? And so I need more time to adjust, and I need to stop pissing off my skin lol.

I don't think you should putting anything on your face like a rag, that's really harsh and could be dirty. Just get in the shower let the water run down your face and let it air dry no towel or else your just making your face dirty again by the towel, even a clean towel will have some residue on it from being washed with nasty detergent. No shampoo on face, no products on face and no towels or wash clothes on face. Wash your hands in the shower, use your fingers to gently exfoliate that is about the best I can offer.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I don't see anything wrong with drying with a towel (I did so before getting acne), and for some people a washcloth does work - works for my mom. It's all about finding the best method. But for me, it seems that the washcloth wasn't exfoliating properly and was drying my skin out, and sometimes irritating inflamed acne. So yeah, I've stopped using it. I don't really even wash my hands though, just rinse them unless I have something on them that actually needs soap to remove. I don't use soap of any kind at all (haven't on my body for probably a year almost), still need to shampoo though, and only wash my hands with soap when needed, otherwise they feel really dry. But yeah, that's waht I'm doing now, rubbing my face with my fingers (not even THAT gently, otherwise dead skin doesn't pill off) whenever I shower, and it seems to be working well so far :) I've been off the washcloth a few days now, and I'm already seeing improvements!

It is so confusing isn't it. I've decided to stay active on this site because I feel like I was a victim for giving myself that 6 month long outbreak of acne by using products. As far as the shampoo goes be careful to not let it touch your face, that stuff will clog your pores so badly it will be worse than applying bp, sa and all other poisons. What I'm doing now is just carefully shampooing with my head tilted back completely and making sure that the shampoo doesn't touch my face. I think what the key is to realize that my skin is sensitive and most likely most of the people here as well. But after seeing these results the acid mantle is everything, sebum and sweat is the acid mantle and as long as it's in tact there will be no acne. But this problem of exfoliating is getting a bit tricky for me too, using my cleaned fingers in the shower I'll exfoliate as gently as possible and it seems to be working but it's so confusing, I used to shampoo my hair in the past and it would run all over my face and not a care in the world about it, with no acne, now it seems that if anything touches my face it clogs my pores and breaks it out, even non comedogenic cetaphil! So the no products only water has worked but I must take extra care to not let anything else touch my face. Have you heard of this caveman method where there is no washing at all, no water even, that to me seems like it would be perfect as far as protecting the acid mantle, but without water to flush away the dirt and dust etc wouldn't the face look dirty? Do you know anything about this? I may try to not wash my face even without water for a week to see what happens, if it reduces this deadskin exfoliation problem.

I apologize if my comment had a seemingly sarcastic tone, I wasn't intending it to be. If you legitimately "Cured" your acne from not putting anything on your face but water, then that's awesome.

The truth is, the vast majority of people on this website will not be cured from just using water. For most of us, our acne is caused by something else that putting water on our face will not address. When people say they have acne, the common uninformed reply is "Wash your face more", that's a very generic response that is of little to no help to most of us.

Just to be clear, I'm never one who tells people using harsh topicals is the solution to acne either, most of that stuff will end up doing more damage in the long run.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I don't see anything wrong with drying with a towel (I did so before getting acne), and for some people a washcloth does work - works for my mom. It's all about finding the best method. But for me, it seems that the washcloth wasn't exfoliating properly and was drying my skin out, and sometimes irritating inflamed acne. So yeah, I've stopped using it. I don't really even wash my hands though, just rinse them unless I have something on them that actually needs soap to remove. I don't use soap of any kind at all (haven't on my body for probably a year almost), still need to shampoo though, and only wash my hands with soap when needed, otherwise they feel really dry. But yeah, that's waht I'm doing now, rubbing my face with my fingers (not even THAT gently, otherwise dead skin doesn't pill off) whenever I shower, and it seems to be working well so far :) I've been off the washcloth a few days now, and I'm already seeing improvements!

It is so confusing isn't it. I've decided to stay active on this site because I feel like I was a victim for giving myself that 6 month long outbreak of acne by using products. As far as the shampoo goes be careful to not let it touch your face, that stuff will clog your pores so badly it will be worse than applying bp, sa and all other poisons. What I'm doing now is just carefully shampooing with my head tilted back completely and making sure that the shampoo doesn't touch my face. I think what the key is to realize that my skin is sensitive and most likely most of the people here as well. But after seeing these results the acid mantle is everything, sebum and sweat is the acid mantle and as long as it's in tact there will be no acne. But this problem of exfoliating is getting a bit tricky for me too, using my cleaned fingers in the shower I'll exfoliate as gently as possible and it seems to be working but it's so confusing, I used to shampoo my hair in the past and it would run all over my face and not a care in the world about it, with no acne, now it seems that if anything touches my face it clogs my pores and breaks it out, even non comedogenic cetaphil! So the no products only water has worked but I must take extra care to not let anything else touch my face. Have you heard of this caveman method where there is no washing at all, no water even, that to me seems like it would be perfect as far as protecting the acid mantle, but without water to flush away the dirt and dust etc wouldn't the face look dirty? Do you know anything about this? I may try to not wash my face even without water for a week to see what happens, if it reduces this deadskin exfoliation problem.

I don't really get shampoo on my face anyways, but I doubt it would break me out to get some on my skin a little bit. If it did break me out, my back would be covered in giant blemishes. I just don't think about it really.

It could just be that you are thinking everything will break you out, so it's more likely to. But just don't stress over it too much. As for finger-exfoliation, I find it works best to let the skin soak in water for a while to soften it up, then rub quite thoroughly. Don't be super gentle, you need to rub hard enough to get the skin to pill. I find that slow strokes helps as well.

I actually did Caveman - 3 times lol. My face looked gross, yes. THe first time though, I cleared up a decent amount. But dead skin piled up like crazy, and I was very oily. So... it just makes the dead skin thing more prominent. The best thing to do would be to just wash your face whenever you shower. I mean, before you started using face washes, would you wash your face a set number of times a week? Did you even really think about it in terms of a schedule? It's best to just fall back to the pre-acne ways as much as possible with minor tweaks if needed (such as the exfoliation). I wouldn't recommend caveman, since it gave me clogged pores (but helped inflamed acne a lot).

@Gator I apologize as well I shouldn't have had more of a polite tone.

@Ashley I will stay away from that caveman method, sounds like it will just be a little too dirty for me. Well what I'm seeing is this, with water only I am not breaking out anymore which I now fully attribute to SA and definitely BP. And now that my acid mantle is fully in tact I do see clear skin again, but I'm always oily, I will cut the washing down to once per day in the shower with water only and that's it. I disagree with the shampoo not breaking out skin, if anything it's probably more comedogenic than putting cake batter on the face, but to each his or her own. I've been looking into washing hair with water only, a lot of people do it and a lot of them are women with long hair. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/s...ead.php?t=50999. Keep your acid mantles in tact everyone and you should all see an improvement. Do not use anything on your faces other than water.

To the OP, I am happy it worked for you! I'm continuously trying to figure out how to wash with just water, as when I don't exfoliate I get nasty dead skin buildup but when I do I get more dried out and broken out from irritation. So I'm back to just rinsing when I shower, rubbing a bit with my hands, and hopefully I'll have some good experiences like you have :)

I understand your methods and I myself have been trying a similar approach. I started by only using water but I wear make up in the day and it was clear that water alone was not taking this off my face, so I started using Johnson's baby wipes. They're good for taking off make up, they contain practically only water and help with the gentle exfoliation which helps with the flaky skin.

Soooo I'm just putting it out there in the case that it can help anyone, as it's very similar to the water-only method.

As to if this would break down the acid mantle, I'm not sure, although it's a simple approach :)

To the OP, I am happy it worked for you! I'm continuously trying to figure out how to wash with just water, as when I don't exfoliate I get nasty dead skin buildup but when I do I get more dried out and broken out from irritation. So I'm back to just rinsing when I shower, rubbing a bit with my hands, and hopefully I'll have some good experiences like you have :)

I understand your methods and I myself have been trying a similar approach. I started by only using water but I wear make up in the day and it was clear that water alone was not taking this off my face, so I started using Johnson's baby wipes. They're good for taking off make up, they contain practically only water and help with the gentle exfoliation which helps with the flaky skin.

Soooo I'm just putting it out there in the case that it can help anyone, as it's very similar to the water-only method.

As to if this would break down the acid mantle, I'm not sure, although it's a simple approach :)

Hmm I don't know if it would do harm to the acid mantle and if it does acne is the result. That's why I'm scared to death to use anything on my face other than water.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

The issue with wipes like that is that they can cause serious burns to the skin. Not because of what is ON the wipe, but the wipe itself. I've tried wipes before, different textures. Each time, after a few uses, my face gets really dry, hot, beet-red, and can develop a rash-like reaction. And it's apparently quite common.

I don't wear makeup, so that's not a big issue for me :)

OP: In MY opinion, shampoo mostly isn't that big of an issue for most, although some can cause breakouts. When that happens, it usually breaks out one's body as that's where it gets the most. It might be your conditioner (if you use one) that is causing the problem, not hte shampoo. Otherwise, might want to try another shampoo; they don't all share the same ingredients :P

I did water-only for my hair. Left my face really oily and broke me out quite a bit (on my body as well as my face). You might be better off with it though since you have shorter hair. Easier to transition.

As for the oiliness, how long have you been water-only? I found that within a few months oiliness would go down. Hell, within a few weeks oiliness went down for me, both with washing twice a day or just once a day like now. I still get kind of oily, but not greasy oily like I once was.

Hey Ashley I've been on water only for about 8 weeks now and I'd say within the first week it became less oily, however still more so than I'd like but with no acne so it was the SA that totally wrecked my face beyond belief. I think I'm going to reduce it to once a day like you, honestly I don't like how the dead skin piles up and I think it's due to acid mantle disturbance by washing too frequently. Something you said earlier I think is the key and that is to forget about acne and just leave it alone, act as if there is no problem and it will go away. As simple as this answer is, it's proving to be right, face is 100 % clear and using water only has been the answer.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Guest i luv elizabeth taylor

I've been doing this for four months now and my skin has never looked better. I just take very short showers and let the water run over my face, without any rubbing. I can't believe i ever used chemicals. I've read on numerous posts how most people end up making their acne into more than it was going to be naturally because of the stuff they put on their face when they first get acne. It's a natural reaction for teens to start getting blemishes and run to the acne isle. I wish teens and pre teens were better educated as to how to properly deal with acne. But instead they are brain washed by skin care companies who convince them that the only way to achieve healthy skin is by putting harsh chemicals on it. Honestly the only way people will know not to do this is by learning from people like myself and numerous others on this site who have already gone down that road and realize how it is never ending.

I've been doing this for four months now and my skin has never looked better. I just take very short showers and let the water run over my face, without any rubbing. I can't believe i ever used chemicals. I've read on numerous posts how most people end up making their acne into more than it was going to be naturally because of the stuff they put on their face when they first get acne. It's a natural reaction for teens to start getting blemishes and run to the acne isle. I wish teens and pre teens were better educated as to how to properly deal with acne. But instead they are brain washed by skin care companies who convince them that the only way to achieve healthy skin is by putting harsh chemicals on it. Honestly the only way people will know not to do this is by learning from people like myself and numerous others on this site who have already gone down that road and realize how it is never ending.

How long did it take for u to actually see results? arent u oily if u dont use cleanser? I dont use any other chemical like BP or sailic acid, but just use cleanser..Btw, I am not totally clear, just 70% clear now.

Guest i luv elizabeth taylor

How long did it take for u to actually see results? arent u oily if u dont use cleanser? I dont use any other chemical like BP or sailic acid, but just use cleanser..Btw, I am not totally clear, just 70% clear now.

It was over a period of about four months. Though it wasn't like i hit four months and suddenly i saw results. It was a gradual process of improvement. I did a post describing the other things i've been doing that have also worked wonders on my skin. Things like cod liver oil, no dairy, little sugar, and just and overall healthy diet. Also clean pillow cases helped a ton. And no, it is actually quite the opposite concerning oily skin.

When i would use cleanser i would get out of the shower and my face would be really shiny, and then become very oily an hour or two later. Now my skin doesn't over compensate for the lost oil and so it has a matte like finish. I know this can seem like a foreign thought to alot of people, but i've done both, and went from having super shiny skin while on cleanser, to matte finish using nothing but water. It may take a little time for the skin to adjust at first, but it's worth it.