Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissDawn

Questions for vegans

How long did it take for your skin to clear up when you changed your diet, if it did? Did you make other changes to your eating? Did you have any other improvements in your looks?

Edited by MissDawn

I made the decision to be vegan after seeing the 10 minute film Meet Your Meat narrated by Alec Baldwin. The diet did not drastically improve the overall complexion of my skin.

However, when I stopped eating red meat, I did notice a HUGE improvement in inflammation. I noticed this first in my overall pain of my inexplicable canker sores -- they weren't as swollen and inflamed (canker sores are a classic sign of Celiac Disease). Then I began to notice that the pain of my pus-filled infections on my face was also reduced. After much research, I later learned this improvement was due to the fact that red meat is one of the most difficult foods to digest and I have almost non-existent stomach acid and an extreme case of leaky gut syndrome. Both of these problems appear to be caused by Celiac Disease which had already caused hypothyroidism and I'm assuming many other problems.

I am not one of those fortunate individuals who noticed that removing dairy was the cause of my acne. But my acne does appear to be the symptom of a much more severe and unresolved health issue.

Therefore, had I not become a vegan, I do not know if I would have ever discovered that protein causes internal inflammation through leaky gut and weak stomach acid. I might never have never put all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Edited by Dotty1
How long did it take for your skin to clear up when you changed your diet, if it did? Did you make other changes to your eating? Did you have any other improvements in your looks?

I noticed a huge different avoiding meats and dairy (whey protein isolate) My skin looks smooth and I feel younger, more energy,etc. I am usually 100% clear, but I notice that when I masturbate (how embarrassing!) I will break-out, so I stopped doing that. I get my vitamin B12 from unsweetened hemp milk.

[email protected] I watched that too. That made me become a vegan. I feel bad how animals are treated.

That's just awful.. why do human have to do that to a poor creature! :\

Edited by EddieE

I noticed a huge different avoiding meats and dairy (whey protein isolate) My skin looks smooth and I feel younger, more energy,etc. I am usually 100% clear, but I notice that when I masturbate (how embarrassing!) I will break-out, so I stopped doing that. I get my vitamin B12 from unsweetened hemp milk.

[email protected] I watched that too. That made me become a vegan. I feel bad how animals are treated.

That's just awful.. why do human have to do that to a poor creature! :\

EddieE - Last year I had a consultation with a vegan dietitian. During my one-hour consultation, she told me that vegans should not rely on fortified food products for their B12 intake, they should take it directly from a sub-lingual tablet. She explained to me that her graduation thesis was about B12 levels in fortified foods for vegans. Although the fortified food containers state "40% of daily value," the companies refused to discuss with her the actual facts of how their product actually meets the B12 need of vegans. She said many companies may cut costs by choosing a b12 source that is difficult to absorb. She discovered that many of these fortified foods had an absorption rate of 5%.

I have heard of this same problem in regard to inexpensive brands of vitamin E -- the companies always pick the cheapest source which is the least absorable.

She directed me to get a health-food store brand of B12 and take 1,000 mcg per day or 4,000mcg 3 times a week.

Edited by Dotty1

I definitely feel bad about how animals are treated in CAFOs/industrial feedlots. That's why I seek out humanely raised meat, grass-fed, sustainably caught seafood and the likes.

I'd like to get to the point where I hunt my own meat, and raise my own chickens and a cow or a two for eggs/meat/milk. I approach it like a circle of life type thing; it's out of respect for the animal. I would much rather kill the animal myself, and use every part of it.

Some people can succeed on a vegan diet, but many more people need some animal foods in their diets. period. It's either you or the cow baby.

Edited by Drizzler
Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

dotty, as vegan u also dont eat honey right? :/ but what was main idea behind that? in my country bees r treated well as far as i know so ive never thought about ditching it otherwise than for diets sake, but what about u?

Some people can succeed on a vegan diet, but many more people need some animal foods in their diets. period. It's either you or the cow baby.

Yes, there are vegans who do not thrive on a plant-based diet due to the inability to attain enough nutrients from their food. I read a fascinating article about this a few months ago in a medical magazine. To summarize: The American Dietetic Association and the American Medical Association say that a plant-based diet has been found to be perfectly adequate for all stages of life, including pregnancy, lactation and childhood. The fact that some people do not thrive on a plant-based diet could be due to the fact that they have an underlying health issue - in this case an absorption issue - treading on ground which is frequently overlooked by most doctors in America.

If the individual cannot absorb enough nutrients from a plant-based diet, the underlying cause should be investigated. Returning the individual to an animal-based diet may solve that person's short-term problems but neglecting to address the underlying cause of diminished absorption may be quite detrimental in the long term.

Edited by Dotty1

I was a vegan for about 5 years. Tried High fat, low fat, Mcdougall, Fuhrman, Graham, Ornish, combinations of those, etc. My skin was at it's all time worst and never got better until I dropped the whole thing.

Yes, there are vegans who do not thrive on a plant-based diet due to the inability to attain enough nutrients from their food. I read a fascinating article about this a few months ago in a medical magazine. To summarize: The American Dietetic Association and the American Medical Association say that a plant-based diet has been found to be perfectly adequate for all stages of life, including pregnancy, lactation and childhood. The fact that some people do not thrive on a plant-based diet could be due to the fact that they have an underlying health issue - in this case an absorption issue - treading on ground which is frequently overlooked by most doctors in America.

If the individual cannot absorb enough nutrients from a plant-based diet, the underlying cause should be investigated. Returning the individual to an animal-based diet may solve that person's short-term problems but neglecting to address the underlying cause of diminished absorption may be quite detrimental in the long term.

I remember hearing about this couples baby who was severely malnurished because they had it on a vegan diet. and got charged with neglect or something like that, the baby looked like skin and bone.

Can babies not absorb the nutrients well at that age? or did they just have it on a shitty diet? i'm not sure if they even breast fed, it was a couple years ago when i heard about it.

I remember hearing about this couples baby who was severely malnurished because they had it on a vegan diet. and got charged with neglect or something like that, the baby looked like skin and bone.

Can babies not absorb the nutrients well at that age? or did they just have it on a shitty diet? i'm not sure if they even breast fed, it was a couple years ago when i heard about it.

I think that was on an episode of the TV show House if I remember correctly, but it definately seems like a plausible occurence. Also, breast feeding is incredibly beneficial for a baby as well. We covered it for a whole week in my nutrition class in college and it was shocking how many good things come from it!

dotty, as vegan u also dont eat honey right? :/ but what was main idea behind that? in my country bees r treated well as far as i know so ive never thought about ditching it otherwise than for diets sake, but what about u?

Honey might be a natural product. But it spikes insulin crazy like. Its not a lot better than refined sugar.

Just make sure your diet is full of vegan soy and wheat based faux foods.

arent soy and wheat both bad for acne prone people?

Im sure she forgot a "not" in there... Or it was very hidden sarcasm. Because yes they are bad. Especially soy (also to people without acne)

Edited by joris

BTW there is this girl from youtube, leija turunen, whos vegan from like birth n shes sooo fukin healthyy n her skin is just flawless, shes kind of a health freak n nature lover as well, but she eats eggs occasionally tho if i rememeber right, but anyhow damn shes soo healthy *__* check her out yourself ppl

BTW there is this girl from youtube, leija turunen, whos vegan from like birth n shes sooo fukin healthyy n her skin is just flawless, shes kind of a health freak n nature lover as well, but she eats eggs occasionally tho if i rememeber right, but anyhow damn shes soo healthy *__* check her out yourself ppl

Dangerous stuff. Is she small? Since we are basically made of fat and protein. Or she had a very good vegan diet. (lots of nuts , good oils, advocado etc)

f you es, there are vegans who do not thrive on a plant-based diet due to the inability to attain enough nutrients from their food. I read a fascinating article about this a few months ago in a medical magazine. To summarize: The American Dietetic Association and the American Medical Association say that a plant-based diet has been found to be perfectly adequate for all stages of life, including pregnancy, lactation and childhood. The fact that some people do not thrive on a plant-based diet could be due to the fact that they have an underlying health issue - in this case an absorption issue - treading on ground which is frequently overlooked by most doctors in America.

Yes, unfortunately I've seen stories like that over the last 5 years. When I read through the details of the stories, it is obvious these parents do not reflect the vegan community. They may be calling themselves "vegan" but are more likely insane. :dance: It is also worth noting that all the couples were found to have far below average intelligence.

Read some of these summaries:

- "Vegan" couple fed their toddler a diet of only apple juice for "religious" reasons for half a year. When the toddler was the weight of a new born infant and was dying, the couple refused to take him to the hospital.

- "Vegan" couple who only allowed their child to eat apples and oranges for months on end.

- "Vegan" couple whose 6-week-old infant died because they refused to feed him breast milk and had kept him on a diet of soy milk and apple juice (?!?!) since birth. Child weighed 3 lbs at death.

- Another vegan couple killed their 6-month-old baby because they had fed her a diet of "wheat grass, coconut water and almond powder" since birth. Doctors described the baby as "emaciated" and its bones were visible through its stretched, clear skin. :shock:

- Again another sad story: A "vegan" mother goes on a water fast while nursing her baby. She is told by doctors that the baby is not receiving enough vitamins and is visibly sick and experiencing organ failure. The doctor asked her repeatedly to eat while nursing and she refuses. Her baby later dies.

- Another story is about a 15-month-old baby who was toothless, the size of a new born baby and who had broken bones and internal injuries. The mother had chosen not to breast feed her, but feed her a diet of ground almonds and fruit since birth. (Doctors point out that the intestines of infants before the age of 6-months do not have the capacity to properly digest whole foods like adult humans and require breast milk or baby formula).

Also, when you Google these stories, one common theme is that these "vegan" parents always refused to allow the hospital to try to save the life of their children when their child is within days of death because the parents had a "fear the chemicals."

None of these people represent the vegan community. They are lunatics. These people were starving their children to death.

Edited by Dotty1

@joris

can u plz remind me what was like main idea why spiking insulin was bad idea? :/

well i assume as with everything else too much if too much all the time then its bad anyhow, but if spiking it like sometimes, occasionaly, rarely or like once a day or so? what about then? :/

and does fruit spike that insulin too? or only ones with high gi?

hi! im vegan...it was one of the best things ive ever done for myself, animals, and the planet...but going vegan sadly didnt improve my acne. im still trying to find the underlying cause of my skin problems...next step is cutting out gluten (should be fun lol). i know a huge factor in vegans w acne is soy...it acts as an estrogen or something...just google soy and acne. are you consuming a lot of soy or soy products? as soon as i can save up enough money im going to go to a naturopath and also have some food allergy tests and hopefully figure this thing out...maybe thats something you should look into if you havent already...and make sure youre taking a vegan multi vitamin. good luck to you...youre a beautiful person...stay strong and keep us posted!

@ funglee (ya Im really gonna keep on calling you that ^_^ , it doesnt make you sad I hope? )

Insulin = master hormone

It affects a lot of hormones, of which IGF-1 IGFB-3 and some stuff that looks like that (bad with names). This causes hyperkerizination (wut spelling?), which is bad shredding of the skin. Which can cause plugs to form. So it causes the first step in acne.

I think (not completely sure) it also can affect sebum excretion by raising adrogens.

Edited by joris

f you es, there are vegans who do not thrive on a plant-based diet due to the inability to attain enough nutrients from their food. I read a fascinating article about this a few months ago in a medical magazine. To summarize: The American Dietetic Association and the American Medical Association say that a plant-based diet has been found to be perfectly adequate for all stages of life, including pregnancy, lactation and childhood. The fact that some people do not thrive on a plant-based diet could be due to the fact that they have an underlying health issue - in this case an absorption issue - treading on ground which is frequently overlooked by most doctors in America.

Yes, unfortunately I've seen stories like that over the last 5 years. When I read through the details of the stories, it is obvious these parents do not reflect the vegan community. They may be calling themselves "vegan" but are more likely insane. :dance: It is also worth noting that all the couples were found to have far below average intelligence.

Read some of these summaries:

- "Vegan" couple fed their toddler a diet of only apple juice for "religious" reasons for half a year. When the toddler was the weight of a new born infant and was dying, the couple refused to take him to the hospital.

- "Vegan" couple who only allowed their child to eat apples and oranges for months on end.

- "Vegan" couple whose 6-week-old infant died because they refused to feed him breast milk and had kept him on a diet of soy milk and apple juice (?!?!) since birth. Child weighed 3 lbs at death.

- Another vegan couple killed their 6-month-old baby because they had fed her a diet of "wheat grass, coconut water and almond powder" since birth. Doctors described the baby as "emaciated" and its bones were visible through its stretched, clear skin. :shock:

- Again another sad story: A "vegan" mother goes on a water fast while nursing her baby. She is told by doctors that the baby is not receiving enough vitamins and is visibly sick and experiencing organ failure. The doctor asked her repeatedly to eat while nursing and she refuses. Her baby later dies.

- Another story is about a 15-month-old baby who was toothless, the size of a new born baby and who had broken bones and internal injuries. The mother had chosen not to breast feed her, but feed her a diet of ground almonds and fruit since birth. (Doctors point out that the intestines of infants before the age of 6-months do not have the capacity to properly digest whole foods like adult humans and require breast milk or baby formula).

Also, when you Google these stories, one common theme is that these "vegan" parents always refused to allow the hospital to try to save the life of their children when their child is within days of death because the parents had a "fear the chemicals."

None of these people represent the vegan community. They are lunatics. These people were starving their children to death.

Oh! thats interesting.

So what would a vegan feed her baby? just breast milk until they're old enough to eat vegan-friendly food?

I always thought veganism was really interesting, but i never bothered because i love to cook, and i already struggle without dairy, taking out ALL animal products would just be an unecessary road block, not to mention i have to cook dinner and pretty much everything else for my family, and they LOVE meat and animal products.

Don't really see the point in not eating animals if my family will continue to buy and eat them anyway.

@ funglee (ya Im really gonna keep on calling you that ^_^ , it doesnt make you sad I hope? )

Insulin = master hormone

It affects a lot of hormones, of which IGF-1 IGFB-3 and some stuff that looks like that (bad with names). This causes hyperkerizination (wut spelling?), which is bad shredding of the skin. Which can cause plugs to form. So it causes the first step in acne.

I think (not completely sure) it also can affect sebum excretion by raising adrogens.

oh gosh, it doesnt make me sad but..SLIGHTLY pissed tbh ;/ whut is up with this site ppl n messing around with my username, im not that (AT ALL akshully >3>) nice of a person to be called all those names u ppl call may :dozing:

anywayz, about topic!

wokay i understand (kinda =P) what u said there but hey do u know how often spiking insulin would result in those effects how much then? wellz what i mean is: how many times of the day u need to spike your insulin that it would start affecting your skin in a way u describe there? :/

^ lol my whole fukin family is suuch meat eaters too! xD but well thats just another 1 more reason for me to be vegetarian then >:3

Oh! thats interesting.

So what would a vegan feed her baby? just breast milk until they're old enough to eat vegan-friendly food?

I always thought veganism was really interesting, but i never bothered because i love to cook, and i already struggle without dairy, taking out ALL animal products would just be an unecessary road block, not to mention i have to cook dinner and pretty much everything else for my family, and they LOVE meat and animal products.

Don't really see the point in not eating animals if my family will continue to buy and eat them anyway.

Yup, something to that effect. And they must ensure the baby is getting vitamin B12 :).

I have not had a baby yet, but I would be inclined to breast feed until at least age two. The WHO (World Health Organization), etc., state babies should be nursed for at least two years. In other cultures it is common to nurse until four or five years old to ensure the child is all needed nutrients. Interestingly, gorillas have the same lifespan as humans and nurse until age 6.

The WHO also states that children under three should not be fed gluten (and some other foods) because they could be detrimental to their health. I don't think anyone in America listens to the World Health Organization though ;).

This month there are quite a few high profile pregnancies as vegans Natalie Portman, Alanis Morrisette, Pink and Alicia Silverstone all announced they were expecting.

Current vegan mommies who have gone through vegan pregnancies and are raising vegan kids are: Gweneth Paltrow and her husband Chris Martin (Coldplay), both vegan, and their kids Apple and Moses. Along with Owen Wilson's girlfriend Jade Duell who is vegan and welcomed a healthy baby boy in January.

Movie stars Joaquin Pheonix and River Pheonix were raised vegan since birth.

Edited by Dotty1

Insulin = master hormone

oh gosh, it doesnt make me sad but..SLIGHTLY pissed tbh ;/ whut is up with this site ppl n messing around with my username, im not that (AT ALL akshully >3>) nice of a person to be called all those names u ppl call may :dozing:

anywayz, about topic!

wokay i understand (kinda =P) what u said there but hey do u know how often spiking insulin would result in those effects how much then? wellz what i mean is: how many times of the day u need to spike your insulin that it would start affecting your skin in a way u describe there? :/

^ lol my whole fukin family is suuch meat eaters too! xD but well thats just another 1 more reason for me to be vegetarian then >:3

Depends peson to person ... If it only were that simple. Also in teenage years you create more insulin. Some might not have it at all. Some might have 100% of their acne because of it. And its not about times per day I guess Idk it could be more in the height, or in unused insulin. Eating low GI/GL will make spikes so much lower. (So you are ok with your diet). I think alternate has a few things on this in her big topic of knowledge. (Good things for acne)

ps. More on vegan topic: Out of vegans, vegans who only ate raw (17servings of veggies) had more risk on cardio vescular disease than vegans who ate 7(servings) raw + cooked etc...

Also: the vegans who ate a lot of nuts and other vegan fats/proteins were a lot healthier. To bad they arent researching if this kind of diet + fish has more benefits...

Edited by joris

ok thnx for clarifying that joris!

gi is for glycemic impact (or index) but gl? gl is for gluten right? :/