Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flowergirly

Downtime with Ematrix

Hi everyone!

I have found all of the comments to be very helpful and I appreciate everyone being so open with their experiences! I am scheduled to have the ematrix done on Friday. I have seen on the boards that the downtime might last as little as one day to as long as 6 days.

My plan is to go back to work on Monday. I am wondering if I should reschedule the ematrix treatment for when I have a 3 or 4-day weekend, or if the weekend should allow enough time to get over the redness, swelling, possible peeling, and "dots." I had a microlaser peel and mircolaser peel with profractional treatments in the past and the downtime for both of them was a full 3 days to recover from the peeling and swelling. Since the ematrix is "supposed" to have less downtime, would you expect that it should be fewer days?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Glad to hear you're going in for your first treatment :) I found that I had the most overall 'downtime' during my 1st treatment. I had the redness and swelling the longest during that time. However, if you've read my experiences, I was out and about within a couple of days and no one stopped and stared at me in horror. However, with respect to others, I understand that my experiences don't reflect the downtime others have had.

I've never taken Accutane, so I understand that those that have may have a dissimilar experience than mine.

The redness was minor, like a sunburn. The swelling was the worst on days 2/3 w/my first treatment. The matrix dots were hardly visible for me. Especially when I put on mineral powder. I even had a couple of really good friends get SERIOUSLY up close to me and check out my mug. Even they were impressed. Actually, the matrix dots probably were the most noticeable around day 6/7 when they were starting to lift up and peel away! Kinda hard to cover with makeup when you got a case of the "flakies" :)

BTW, are you treating acne scarring? If so, what type do you have? Several of us seem to have seen a better response w/ our pitted scarring vs. rolling scars.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress!

Although like Sassy74, my longest downtime was for my first treatment, I felt I could easily go back to work on Monday (from a Friday afternoon treatment). 85% of the effects of the treatment were gone and the other 15% were easily hid. BTW, the area that was still slightly affected Monday was under the eyes - where there was no acne scarring. If you make sure the doctor knows you want your acne scars treated and not your eyes, tell him just to "zap" the acne scars not the eyes. This doctor has even zapped my eyelids the last two times - of course I'm 53, but I really didn't need him "to do" the eyes. Of course, he's in West Hollywood and I'm sure he gets a lot of people wanting that done!

Thank you so much, sassy and tomster, for signing on and replying to my post! :D I so appreciate it and feel better. I plan to still go ahead with it this Friday.

Yes, I'm getting this done for acne scars. I think I have several kinds of scars and as each day goes by, they bother me more and more. I also have never taken accutane and now feel grateful for that. It seems that some people have difficulty healing after taking that!

Sassy, I'm curious. Regarding the days 2 and 3, are you referring to the first two days after the treatment, where the treatment day is day 1? Or are you counting day 1 as the day after the treatment and so on? I hate to be so technical, but it might help me understand what to expect and also might help ease some of my anxiety about the swelling for Monday.

Tomster, since I'm getting this done, I thought that I'd get the eyes done too to help combat/prevent some signs of aging I am seeing. What were the lingering effects that you had around the eyes? It doesn't sound too noticeable or bothersome.

I hope the "flakies" aren't too bad.

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it!

I will keep you updated!

Thank you so much, sassy and tomster, for signing on and replying to my post! :D I so appreciate it and feel better. I plan to still go ahead with it this Friday.

Yes, I'm getting this done for acne scars. I think I have several kinds of scars and as each day goes by, they bother me more and more. I also have never taken accutane and now feel grateful for that. It seems that some people have difficulty healing after taking that!

Sassy, I'm curious. Regarding the days 2 and 3, are you referring to the first two days after the treatment, where the treatment day is day 1? Or are you counting day 1 as the day after the treatment and so on? I hate to be so technical, but it might help me understand what to expect and also might help ease some of my anxiety about the swelling for Monday.

Tomster, since I'm getting this done, I thought that I'd get the eyes done too to help combat/prevent some signs of aging I am seeing. What were the lingering effects that you had around the eyes? It doesn't sound too noticeable or bothersome.

Yeah, the only real effect around the eyes were that the eyelids were a little red and sore the next day and still slightly that way the second day. After that they were fine. Underneath the eyes, there were the very small little red dots. You could definitely cover them up by the second day and no one would notice. Again, these were the greatest lingering effects of the treatment and were not a major problem by any means. And like you, I was very apprehensive about downtime and any telltale signs from ematrix. I can report it is not a big deal and recovery is quick - conversely, you will not see a big improvement from ematrix either. But I do believe there is a definite but subtle improvement over time.

I hope the "flakies" aren't too bad.

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it!

I will keep you updated!

Flowergirly,

So glad to hear that you've decided to move forward w/ treatment on Friday. Regarding your question, yes, Day 1 is treatment day. I would notice that the swelling was at its most prominent the morning after treatment day. I guess from laying down all night, the swelling had time to increase and make me "chipmunk cheeky". However, like I've documented, Treatment 1 (June 2010) was by far the most red and swollen I was in the course of my treatment protocol.

Best of luck to you. Can't wait to hear your thoughts and experiences!

God Bless

Thank you to both of you for your help! I feel better about it, but I am still nervous about how I'm going to look. I guess I'll deal with it as it comes. I do hope I get an improvement.

I'll keep you updated in the other message board: "Gonna get an ematrix..." I'm still getting used to navigating this site.

Thanks again :angel:

Hi all! Thanks for the information!

I recently had eMatrix done on Wednesday. While the redness is gone, I definatley have the grid marks on my skin. They look like scabs. When I called the girl that did the procedure (she wasn't a doctor, which was surprising at first. I went through American Laser Centers), about my aftercare, she was very brief when I asked her if it was normal. And all she really said was "yeah, it'll go away in about a week." I really didn't receive much aftercare instructions that many of you have shared except for that I can wear makeup, perferably mineral makeup and use a mild cleanser/lotion. Other than that, I really didn't know what to expect except for the "dots." This made me nervous, especially because scabbing on my face was what left me with acne scaring in the first place. I know it's only been two days, but I get a little worried...it is my face after all. :)

One concern that I had was that I work in the water. Today (day 2) I had to scuba dive for about 30 minutes. I called the woman at the center and she said that I was fine going in the water. Does anyone know the best optimal aftercare for this procedure? I read in another post that they were recommended to not wash their face for 24 hours. I took a shower that night, getting my face wet minimally, but was not instructed to not wash it. Any suggestions? Thanks!! :D

Emwise 83, good luck w/ your treatment. Scabbing is normal. This are not the same kind of scabs caused from an acne lesion. I'm almost 100% positive you won't scar as a result. I was given an aftercare sheet similar to post-Fraxel aftercare. A doctor doesn't do my treatments either, but I trust my aesthetician, Jessica, tremendously!

Instead of reiterating my aftercare protocol, I would encourage you to perhaps go read the posts of those of us that have had the treatments done. I've blogged pretty extensively about my experiences. Briefly; no washing face day of procedure, no swimming or exercise for a week, mineral powder only (no liquid makeup) use Cetaphil or other mild cleanser for a week, use sunscreen daily. Scabbing is normal and will slough around day 5/6, depending on your skin's response and your treatment level.

Hope this helps!

God Bless

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give you an update on my ematrix experience so far. Yesterday I went in for my treatment. I was disappointed to learn that the office I go to (American Laser Center) does not do any level beyond A. The girl said that my scarring is not that bad and my face does not need a level beyond A, but I disagree. To me, it's bad! Plus, what if she was saying that to appease me because level B or C is not even an option anyway at their office?! I paid $2000 for 4 treatments and I hate to think that I'm not getting the full intensity that my face should get.

The girls at the office are always very nice and helpful, as I have been going there for microdermabrasions also. I was explained what to expect. The level that she decided to treat was at 30. It felt like a pinching, but was not too uncomfortable. By the end of the treatment, my face was hot and burning, similar to how it felt after having a chemical peel, but not as bad as a microlaser peel or, especially profractional. They kindly gave me ice packs, which definitely helped to cool my face! By bedtime (I got it done at 5 p.m.), the heat and deep redness were gone, but there were those grid strips left. This morning when I woke up, the strips were still there, but it was not a deep red UNTIL I washed my face. When I washed my face (Purpose face wash) and put on some makeup, the stinging, heat, and deep red flush came back! With enough makeup, the strips were covered, but the flush was still there in a minimal way. Shortly after, I took off my makeup and put on vitamin E oil, which never causes any stinging when my face is irritated or sunburn. I haven't noticed any of the "scabs" yet.

My hope is that the strips and overall flushing, at times, will be gone by Monday, when I go back to work. I pray this works for me and improves my scarring and texture.

I'll keep you updated!

Thanks Sassy! That helps. I am a little disappointed with the lack of thouroughness with my aftercare instructions, even when I asked her a million questions. I wonder why you can't go swimming...is it because of the chlorine? The water I work in has less chlorine than tap water, so hopefully it's that and not just being submurged.

Flowergirly, you've pretty much have had the same experience I had Wed. I went in at night about the same time. You'll start to see the grid first, then the scabs will come the next day or so. It freaked me out at first, but with makeup on, only I'm the one that notices. My friends didn't notice at all! AND I work outside in the daylight. It wasn't until I pointed it out that they noticed the makeup covered grid marks. It's interesting, because we go to the same company for treatments, and they did not inform me of different levels (A, B, and C). I'll have to make sure this is addressed next month. I'm paying about the same as well, so I understand your fustration!

Thanks again all! :)

Hi everyone!

I was happy that yesterday the stinging was gone. The grid marks were more noticeable to me, but were covered by makeup like everyone said. I still tried not to get too close to anyone : ) Other than that, there was no issues going back to work today, which was a big relief!

I really hope this works for me!

Thanks for all of your guidance and input on what to expect!

Hi Everyone - I'm a new member on here.

I actually just signed up for the Ematrix treatment at American Laser (havent scheduled my first appointment yet) but signed up for it when the lady was telling me how my skin can be flawless in 6 months! But when I came home, I was wondering if I just fell for that?

I mean, really? Does this really work?

I have small acne marks on my face and they look worse when I wear blush on my cheeks and they stand out. I'd love for my skin to be smooth again but wanted to know if $2500 is a good price for this and if it really works.

Any feedback would be great!!!!!

I would love to be able to tell you that your skin will be "flawless" w/ eMatrix, but if you have indented scarring at all, that is simply not going to happen. Will your skin get better? Yes! Will it ever look like someone who has never struggled w/ acne? No.

Was the price quote for a series of treatments? If so, how many? My office usually charges $500 for a full face and $250 for just the cheek area.

What type of scarring do you have? I've noticed improvement in all my scars :) I mainly have a couple of ice picks, 2 or 3 small rolling scars and a couple shallow boxscars. All have responded and my scarring is "softer" looking and doesn't catch the shadows as much. Am I happy I pursued this treatment, you betcha! Do I still wish I could have perfect skin and will continue to strive for it, you betcha :)

Best of luck with whatever you decided to do. Keep us updated!

God Bless :)

I'm really considering Ematrix. It seems like the safest scar removal method. My sister had one Ematrix treatment so far you can see major improvements in her boxcar/ice pics. I don't see her boxcar scars anymore and her large ice picks were reduced to the size of tiny pores, barely visible. Her left side looks almost scar free. It took around 2 weeks to notice the results. The downtime was around a week. She was a bit red on the day she got the treatment, and there were matrix lines all over her face for a week. Nothing makeup can't conceal though..after a week her face got back to the normal state. She says the doctor used the highest level setting on her. The thing is, I don't think I'm a candidate for Ematrix cause I still get acne. I wanna get my acne 100% under control before I get this treatment.

For those who went to American laser, can you give me the contact information for the place. I went to one of the locations this week and they gave me a price of $4000 for 5 treatments. Thought that was a bit pricey. Much thanx in advance.

I'm a registered nurse for American Laser Centers/American Laser Skincare.

That is 100% NOT TRUE that we don't treat above program A. Not true.

Hi Sassy74 - thanks for your reply.

For some reason, I thought this message board would send me an email every time someone responds so that it can remind me to check back on here. I guess it doesn't do that? And you just have to keep coming back to read any new posts?

I'm not sure what indented scarring is or what a boxscar is? Is that what they call crater scars? Hmmm...I have a few ice pick scars, and a lot of small little ones (almost look like a bunch of enlarged pores). But yes, the price was quoted for a series of treatments - I think she said about 6? I am assuming it's for the full face - although I only have scars on my cheeks. I guess I should call them to check!

I'm just really really hoping that this treatment is for me - a lot of the scarring is from when i was a teenager and the dermatolgist used to inject the pimples with saline or another doctor used to literally scrape my face with a blade! So a lot of scarring from that!!

Bonbonique - that's great that this worked for your sister.

Were there any side effects?

Are there any pictures on these message boards that we can view?

hi all, it seems this new treatment is getting positive review so i am looking forward into doing this. i have ice pick scars on my right cheek with 2 box scars i belive and some ice pick on my left cheek as weell and some light scarring. I am 21 years old and been battleing acne scarring for the past 4 years... this has damaged my life and self esteem for the worst as i use to be very social and happy and now i am as u can c my name with no hope... i will post pictures on here soon so u guys can chek out my scarring i juss really hope this works with e matrix..

i feel eevyrones pain since i been suffering from this so i hope eveyrone finds the rigth treatments and get better as for some...this is a night mare we live every day. im interested in knowing how well this treat ment responds to ice pick scarss as that is what my greatest concern is . thanx for reading my post and wish everyone the best ! =)