Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pepot

How was your family's skin and routine like?

I was wondering how everyone's family or relatives much older than them dealt with skin care? Did they have major breakouts after their teenage years?

I asked my parents, aunts and uncles - and all of them have pretty clear skin - and all they really do is just wash their face in water, and maybe bar soap. Some of them will follow with a moisturizer and some don't wear anything.

They don't buy all these products and can't believe all the things I have tried lol.

They're telling me to stop using all these chemical products.

I wonder how people in the early days cleaned their skin? Like between the 1900-1930's in various countries too... they didn't have or use face wash cleansers, toners and exfoliators. Step 1 - 6 cleaning regimens lol for EVERYONE and from photos - they seemed to have good skin. :redface:

All these expensive vitamins and products are driving the industries and making them richer...

Curious to hear your opinions.

Edited by pepot

you know my entire family only washes their face with soap and water and then my mom will use moisturizer but my sisters dont. their skin doesnt look good though and they are starting to look older because of not using any lotion. i used to only use soap and water and then when i hit 19 things changed and my skin has never been the same. i have tried to just wash my face and put on moisturizer a couple of times over the years but i start breaking out again. so i guess it just depends on the person but at this point i dont think i could live with my benzaclin.

Interesting observation though isn't it? :) Thinking back how skin care regimens were minimal to none in those times - it's so overwhelming nowadays.

I think varying degrees of moisturizer (for dryer skin) were used in different forms (i.e. natural oils). In today's time - both sunblock (physical) and sunscreen (chemical) have its benefits though as probably the most effective "anti-aging" product there.

Anyways - it would be great to hear what others have observed or noted too - thanks!

Edited by pepot

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

On my dad's side of the family, there was moderate acne from what I understand, and my dad would get injections from his derm and went on antibiotics all the time. His skin cleared up around 20 though. I don't know too much about the others, but I know that his brothers also had acne. They don't do much for their skin care, lol.

On my mom's side, there's mild to severe acne. My sisters all dealt with acne and still get some pimples, my mom still gets the occasional pimples. a couple of my cousins, grandfather, aunt, and probably more, all had cystic acne at one point and have scarring all over their cheeks. When I started to get cystic acne around 7-9 months ago, I never really thought about the family connection and the genetic side. I started using internal supplements, and now I still do get pimples and whatnot, but my cystic acne is thankfully under control. I have very minor scarring compared to them, so I'm thankful. They never really did anything for their cystic acne.

Cool replies - please keep sharing :)

I was searching around on some other forums (i.e. modeling types) and saw that many people just used water (i.e. from the shower or sink) and maybe a wash cloth to add... our newer generations are so exposed to all these products that we become use to it - can you imagine doing these skin care regimens for life? :)

As a male. I've had pretty bad acne/scars since my early teens, and its been subsiding over the years into my 20s... I don't break out as bad as then (now in my 30s) but I've been on a quest to study and see a better approach to skin care. I've managed to just accept the past, but I think I can handle or at least control/prevent things better in the future....

I find that the "less is more" trend seems to have much more positive results... a lot of the beauty / anti-aging products being manufactured are for temporary fixes in my opinion. If one has "dry" skin like myself - then a moisturizer would probably be best suited. For those with oiler skin - less to little to no moisturizer would probably be better (at least I would think so)

The anti-aging - is probably best combated with protection from UVA and UVB - from sunscreen or sunblock.... it appears these rays are much more stronger over the decades as in the past (i.e. pollution/ozone) - things like post-acne marks, hyperpigmentation is all caused by UV - so protection would be best.... year round (even in situations of being indoors and receiving incidental sun exposure) I really never started using sunblock until a few months ago... 15-20 mins / day of sunlight exposure is enough for the body to start the synthesis/conversion of Vitamin D - it [the sun] doesn't have to hit our faces - other exposed areas will process the same thing, yet adding some sun protection to those areas probably won't be a bad idea...

My approach has been more towards a diet (with limited to no processed foods, refined sugars and decreased dairy intake) and increasing physical activity by the means of exercising a times a week in the form of various weights/cardio.

I study in the medical field - halfway through med school now. It still baffles me how comparing different people with different lifestyles (i.e. sedentary to "junk/fast food" living can have no skin problems... always kept me intrigued to see what else is "going on" or what other habits they have. That said, a "cleaner diet" outweighs an overall better health outcome in so many other areas (even though it might not help with acne entirely - I wish it were that easy)

Countless generations and populations from all over the world lived on staple grains, sugars, etc - you have your dairy and "choco-holics" with no issues and then others...

Personally I think the level of marketing and "dermatologist-approved" has skewed our ways - I've definitely succumbed to that for sure... purchasing this or that product - only to fail miserably and $$ down the tube...

I'm going to try just the water/washcloth 2x a day + moisturizer/sunblock and see how that goes - I've usually used cetaphil gentle cleanser and a moisturizer pretty much over the past 3-4 years...

Some other theories I've been considering are just the pH of our skin acid mantle - I really don't find much regarding this topic except on message boards which I've learn to use caution with in completely believing... but better to hear any opinion than none and use your own judgment right? Are we harming our skin layers by allowing foreign material (i.e. dirt, bacteria (not the normal one found living on skin flora) to enter and cause inflammation?

I can see how maybe exfoliating with a wash cloth can remove dead skin that can plug or block sweat glands and disallow sebum to "escape". Keratolytics (i.e. like salicylic acid) do things in a similar fashion but in chemical form... yet how many people with "normal acne free skin" for example have access to these things hmm? :)

I do feel there's definitely a hormonal component to this - especially in the teenage years where these levels are rising and contribute to excess sebum production that the skin hasn't adapted to causing acne lesions.... once our bodies have adapted to that (apart from cyclic changes for example in women/menstruation) these types of acne flares subside - and people "grow" out of it - but somewhere this gets worse or never corrected down the line? Is it all the damage or insult we apply to our faces? Who knows....

Vitamins and acne, nutritional deficiencies - really tough area... I've read about so many doing this and that - not saying that they may not work or otherwise... but I still would like to know the reasoning behind them... some of them which come to mind are Vitamin D / Calcium / Magnesium / Zinc / anti-inflammatories like EPA/DHA / Dietary Fiber (soluble vs insoluble) - I'm trying to explore more into some of these.. though fiber is something of interest at the moment for me...

Sometimes while walking around and seeing people from different financial backgrounds and their "skin" in general - makes me wonder when some people can't even afford to buy cleansers/toners or even see a doctor - come out with pretty good skin... makes you wonder eh? :)

Oh boy - guess I ended up just babbling around here, but it kind of revolves around my topic question... so yeah it would be cool to hear more observations... thanks!

If there are any criticisms or further opinions to add from this last post - would love to hear that too.

Edited by pepot

My father, grandmother on my father's side and all my siblings had acne. My older brother and mine was the most severe but he grew out of it while I did no. My other two siblings weren't severe and I suspect that the acne they get now is the same citrus allergy I have, but they just won't listen to me.

My father still had acne when he died in an automobile accident in his 60s, but at that point, it may have been primarily rosacea and the citrus allergy.

I can't tell you everyone's regimens. I know my brother is a big believer in soap. I think my sister uses some harsh stuff, then compensates with moisturizer.

I don't use soap on face or body (other than hands of course or as a first aid/prevention measure). It serves no purpose so why spend money on it or strip away your natural oils and acid mantle? I oil cleanse my face when I have makeup to remove otherwise, I use water and my hands in the shower at night. And wipe with a damp cloth in the morning.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I'll agree with much of what you said for sure... overnight fixes would be a dream come true for anyone :)

I'm leaning towards more of the genetic and hormonal variables too... the additives of fiber have been catching my eye a bit more as of late. Higher fiber diets (as claimed from random resources) apparently do show some kind of connection with binding and reducing circulating levels of our sex hormones which in turn could possibly reduce the overproduction of sebum --> acne as in the "pubertal years" where these levels are markedly higher.

I think that some others were on the point with that from searching some previous posts, but how far anybody on here executed the plan of increased soluble and dietary fiber on a daily basis has yet to be fully established (at least from what I've read so far).

In retrospect in the past I can definitely attest to the lack or limited amounts of fiber in my diet... I'll see how things progress in the weeks to come as I've been (last 3 days) incorporating at least 35-45grams fiber (spread disproportionately between soluble and insoluble) from whole food sources (i.e. whole grains, nuts, veggies, some fruit) and another 8-10grams from soluble supplemental fiber as I don't eat too many grains in the first place. Coconut, Flax, hemp flour/meal/protein respectively have some of the highest that I've seen - beans are probably the highest but I really don't eat legumes anymore. Water intake definitely has to be increased as well just as a honorable mention.

As I was mentioning before - the diet with those "eating clean vs eating otherwise" and how it can have no impact on their skin (at least in regards to acne) surprises me. At least for skin - tone. aging and the like definitely can be reflective of a good diet though.

Edited by pepot

My mom breaks out a bit every so often, but i really don't know because i don't look at her skin at all, but she said she never had acne as a kid.

My dad didn't have it either, and he NEVER breaks out, not even a pimple, since i was born, which i think is strange as hell.

my oldest brother had and still has acne, it went from mild to moderate to severe to back to mild, all that time he only cleansed once or twice because my mom told him so, my middle brother is getting some mild acne lately, and my littlest brother is just about there, they all don't wash their faces or shower often.

i never really knew my grandparents, so i have no idea if they had acne or what, and my parents wouldn't know either because they didn't really live with them, or moved around a lot.

with my family, i think its hormonal, we all have varying diets and we all seem to get acne reguardless, and i used to constantly change cleansers, but i never moisturized or applied topical treatments until recently, and i even tried the holistic route once or twice, the only thing that seems to work is BP or salicylic acid (what my mom uses)