Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bender5000

Water Fast Diary

Today I decided to do my first fast.

Last night I went out to a mexican restaurant for happy hour and was happily getting sloshed on 2 for 1 cocktails....until I went to the bathroom - looked in the mirror and began to pick (thats right, the restaurant bathroom!)

Obviously that made my skin look nasty, so I had to call my night short and ran to the nearest taxi to go home.

As I was lying in bed (after putting everything imaginable on my face to counteract my picking) I decided that I would go a week without beer and see what that did to my acne.

Well, this morning I woke up and just didnt start eating, and halfway through the day I thought, what the hell, I'll do a proper fast, not just avoiding alcohol.

So today is Day 1 and so far so good. I did nibble on a little bit of fresh vege's and drink a bit of vege soup that I made around lunch time, but that would have been 50-100 cals for the entire day.

The soup is there for when/if I get dizzy at work.

I'm experiencing the physical symptoms of hunger, but it is barely noticeable. I have no desire to put any food whatsoever in my mouth besides water.

I suppose I stopped eating around 8pm last night, so I have survived over my first 24 hours quite well.

Heres to the rest of the fast going just as well, and my skin clearing up with it!! At the moment I have just done a egg white mask and have egg membrane on the worst of it. Fingers crossed its better tomorrow morning.

Day 2

Ok, start of day 2 (well closer to 38ish hours in).

I still have the physical feel of hunger but no desire to actually eat. No dizziness yet and I have the same level of energy that I normally do.

My skin looks a little clearer (around the non-inflammed areas anyway) but that might be due to the egg white/membrane mask I did last night.

I woke up with some existing congestion starting to get inflammed and come out, and a few had come to a head (which I popped, bad I know).

I then put some more membrane on my inflammed areas and went back to bed for 30 minutes.

Will do the whole mask again tonight.

SUPPLEMENTS/MEDICATION:

I'm currently taking some naturopath prescribed herbs to balance my hormones, plus a heavy duty pro-biotic.

I'm also on minocycline (just started - planning to use this to help get through this prolonged period of existing congestion coming through, and until my hormones calm down)

I also take zinc and I'm halfway through a series of glycolic acid peels.

I'm not on any birth control at the moment, hoping to get the non-hormonal IUD put in this Thursay.

Stay tuned :)

Still feeling ok.

Lost a few hundred grams in weight - which is a benefit but not my actual goal here.

So far I've had a Green Tea with Lemon (Twinings) but no food.

Started to get the first signs of dizziness when I stood up earlier.

Hunger pains are still there, tummy is grumbling a bit and I'm burping a bit more. Made the mistake of reading a food liftout in the daily paper - really wanted to run out and get some yum cha! or at least one of the chicken and salad rolls mum was making at the time :(

Was feeling lethargic until just recently, but a bit of energy has now kicked in.

Tomorrow at work will be the big test - I usually eat to keep myself entertained as my job can get a bit boring at times. Plus food also keeps me focused. As I said before, I'll take some homemade vege soup with me in case of desperation.

Recipe if anyone is interested:

1 large can of corn

1 large can of chickpeas

3 bunches of Bok Choy

Large handful of pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Green capsicum

Broccoli

2 Large spoonfuls of minced garlic

1 Onion

Method:

Boil in water on stove top until broccoli is soft - transfer to a blender and puree. Serve with salt and pepper. It actually tastes quite nice!

From what I've heard, day three is generally the worst. I would imagine that ketosis kicks in after that.

Best of luck.

Day 3 (approx 60 hours since last meal)

Feeling very weird today. My mind is clear but my body just wont keep up. I feel sluggish, even walking is a chore. Luckily I have a sedentary job.

Woke up to the white coating on my tongue this morning. Feeling a bit nauseous as well, cold water helps. But would you believe it, the cold water filtration tap at work is broken!! :shifty:

Yesterday I had about 3 cups of green tea and a tiny bit of homemade vege soup at lunch time.

Skin wise there are no new eruptions, just existing ones coming to a head. Still too early to tell of any benefit. But if I can get thru today then tomorrow onward should be easier.

Didnt sleep too well last night (but I think thats mostly in part to a certain big lump tossing and turning next to me all night).

EDIT: Blergh - every cell in my body is screaming for food. If I had a greasy fry-up breakfast in front of me right now there is no doubt I would eat it all and ask for seconds. Its only 9am :(

I keep telling myself it's only a psychological need for food but it's hard.

Edited by suz846

Day 4

Yesterday morning was by far the worst time during this fast, and this morning isnt much better.

The rest of the yesterday was fine once I got some green tea and water into me, but this morning I've caved and I'm having some vege soup for breakfast.

I'm feeling nauseous, hoping this will pass.

Skin wise I think I am getting clearer. Only 1 existing eruption (tiny one) and besides all the redness and peeling skin I think it's looking better.

Will do the egg white/membrane mask again tonight.

Seeing my naturopath for a check up on the progress of my hormone balancing tonight, dont know whether to tell her about my fast or not.

Might stop taking the minocycline for a while to see what that does, only been taking it for about a week so I doubt that anything will change.

Weight wise I've lost about 1.5 - 2kg. Wont be sure until I check myself on my regular scales at home.

Fasting doesn't help with acne. It's in your head. However, If you're on the assumption that somehow detoxifing your body of all the "bad stuff" helps treat acne, then eat healthier. Eliminate processed foods. Don't starve your body. It's painful and unnecesscary.ou

I know when I don't eat I look and feel like shit, with or without acne. Your body can not maintain a youthful healthy appearence if it doesn't have the essential nurtients to repair itself. Essentially you are counteracting yourself. Your logic is flawed. You want to get rid of your acne. If your acne does happen to cease you will still look frail, rundown, and unhealthy from your depleated body.

I suppose I should explain that my fast is going to be for 10 days only to clear my body of everything (yes - "detoxifying"), after which I will gradually reintroduce foods that could be the triggering factor and see how/if they affect me.

On the first day of breaking my fast I will introduce yoghurt or milk (dairy) then a few days later bread (wheat/gluten) then a big ol' chocolate bar (sugar).

If I suffer from a breakout after reintroducing any of these then I will know for a fact what to avoid in the future.

I suppose I should explain that my fast is going to be for 10 days only to clear my body of everything (yes - "detoxifying"), after which I will gradually reintroduce foods that could be the triggering factor and see how/if they affect me.

On the first day of breaking my fast I will introduce yoghurt or milk (dairy) then a few days later bread (wheat/gluten) then a big ol' chocolate bar (sugar).

If I suffer from a breakout after reintroducing any of these then I will know for a fact what to avoid in the future.

Perhaps I forjudged your method without inquiring more detail regarding its specifics. I assumed you were arbitrarily going to starve body based on a sudden whim that it would treat your acne.

Stastically dietary products are shown not to affect acne. But not everyone is the same; thus statistics don't apply to everyone. So on that note, let me know how your little purging experiment pans out.

- Mitch

I think I may have it nailed down.

I have recommenced eating and drinking and I think that I know what brings on my breakouts.

During my fasting days and in the immediate days after I avoided alcohol of all types and I had no new breakouts just existing ones coming to a head.

Tthen on Friday night I had a bottle of low calorie/low alcohol wine, and halfway during saturday I take a look in the mirror when trying on clothes and BANG - a big nasty juicy cyst was growing on my lip line!

Saturday night I drink vodka, soda water and lime cordial - nothing much new on sunday. Then Sunday night I drink about 5 or 6 beers (or more). I wake up on Monday with, not 1, but TWO big juicy ones on my chin on either side.

Now I cant be 100% sure, but from vague memory my skin does always look its worst on the weekends or when I've been drinking.

So I am now officially off alcohol of all types! Which is hard when my birthday is coming up and I'm planning a boozy dinner at a posh restaurant AND I'm going O/S for a holiday and was planning on spending all day beside the pool drinking cocktails...............sigh.

But I do want to be actually able to go into the water on my holiday and not worry about my makeup coming off, and if damaging my liver wasnt a good enough motivator to stop drinking, then clear skin is!!

Skin update: I have started a new beach regimen (at the end of summer, duh thats smart). I was at the beach the other day when I started thinking how people who go to the beach all the time have such beautiful skin - so I went for a swim yesterday for an hour, then today after work for half an hour, and I plan on being at the beach for a few hours tomorrow.

Right now my skin is pretty nasty - I think the salt water is bringing everything out, I was able to pop out most of the offenders, and since salt water is a great healer then I think I'm on my way.

Will keep you updated.

Today I decided to do my first fast.

Last night I went out to a mexican restaurant for happy hour and was happily getting sloshed on 2 for 1 cocktails....until I went to the bathroom - looked in the mirror and began to pick (thats right, the restaurant bathroom!)

Obviously that made my skin look nasty, so I had to call my night short and ran to the nearest taxi to go home.

As I was lying in bed (after putting everything imaginable on my face to counteract my picking) I decided that I would go a week without beer and see what that did to my acne.

Well, this morning I woke up and just didnt start eating, and halfway through the day I thought, what the hell, I'll do a proper fast, not just avoiding alcohol.

So today is Day 1 and so far so good. I did nibble on a little bit of fresh vege's and drink a bit of vege soup that I made around lunch time, but that would have been 50-100 cals for the entire day.

The soup is there for when/if I get dizzy at work.

I'm experiencing the physical symptoms of hunger, but it is barely noticeable. I have no desire to put any food whatsoever in my mouth besides water.

I suppose I stopped eating around 8pm last night, so I have survived over my first 24 hours quite well.

Heres to the rest of the fast going just as well, and my skin clearing up with it!! At the moment I have just done a egg white mask and have egg membrane on the worst of it. Fingers crossed its better tomorrow morning.

lol interesting...

Did you know sea water is alkaline-forming? Which means I'm pretty sure your acne is the result of acidic blood. Not insulin, as alcohol actually lowers insulin levels.

By drinking lot water (which is slightly alkaline-forming), you're basically making your body alkaline. This improves your skin.

Foods can do a better job than water at making your body alkaline. Most vegetables and fruits, for example, are alkaline-forming. A lot of dried fruits are (figs, apricots, ...).

If you would just eat these foods 80% of the time for a while, add apple cider vinegar and lemon juice to your diet, you would see improvement (that type of vinegar and lemon juice both make the body more alkaline).

Emotions affect the pH level of your body. By being happy, you'll make yourself more alkaline.

Try it out, only good things can happen. And enjoy the sea water :D. I may go to the sea one of these days to swim for hours and clear my skin. I'm still in the process of curing.

Also, watch out with whey protein powder : it causes tons of zits (it did for me). Unless you eat kilos and kilos of vegetables with it.