Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamie freedman

a few questions for regimen pros

Right guys, Ive got a bit of a dilemma. First off i have persistant mild/moderate acne that really gets me down. I managed to beg my derm into giving me accutane but then 20 days into the treatment thought "what the hell am i doing, risking my health" and got off of it straight away. So now im in the position where i am not using any topical cream, before accutane episode i was using duac(5%bp+2% clinamycin). I used it only at night and i didn't use a moisturiser.

I have three questions for you guys...

1. Do you regret getting on the regimen as now you are hooked and if you stop you will break out even worst? i.e has anyone been on the regiment and grown out of acne and just come off it breakout free?

2. Will being on the regimen using dans bp and following it to a T be that much better than what i did with the duac?

3. My red marks (PIH) seem to have faded tonnes quicker off BP. Is that because my skin was dry from not moisturising or a side effect of BP?

btw here are pictures of my current acne, suitable for regimen? really appreciate your help people

post-124650-1298729071_thumb.jpg

post-124650-1298729071_thumb.jpg

Hey there,

I can really only answer your first question. I do not regret going on the regimen and firmly believe it is the best thing I could have done for my skin (which looked a lot like yours does, by the way). I just think it works too well for too many people not to try it. I also firmly believe that one does not really get rid of acne until one grows out of it, and that point is different for every person and for some people, never.

Bottom line, regimen is cheap, and I have never seen something work so well for so many people. Seems silly to not give it a try and see if it works for you, since everyone reacts to the regimen slightly differently.

Good luck!

I have absolutely no regrets going on the regimen. And as far as being "hooked onto it", I feel that it is a healthier alternative to accutane, which is extremely dangerous to your health (which, by the way, I'm glad you didn't take for long). It does take time in the morning and at night, but it's a routine that keeps my skin clear and my confidence at an all time high. I think the effort put forth is worth the positive self-esteem.

The first few months on the regimen are tough. I like to go by that age-old saying of "it gets worse before it gets better" with the BP gel, and that not only goes for acne but also for redness and dryness of the skin. From what I've seen on these forums and from personal experience, once you hit the 4-5 month mark of doing the regimen religiously twice a day, your skin will be practically flawless.

Hey, it's worth a try right?

And for the record, my acne was a lot worse than yours when I decided to go on the regimen. Your chin looks similar to what mine was, however, I also had the similar look on my entire left cheek area. I now have clear skin 99.9% of the time.

Edited by Kat Kerfuffle

I agree with the first two posts. I definitely have no regrets. The regimen was the best thing I have done for my skin and I wouldn't trade the confidence it has given me for anything. I have been on it for almost 3 months (Friday is the 3 month mark) and I have nothing bad to say. I never once have broken out from it, either (knock on wood). A lot of people break out before they clear and that never happened to me. I'm not saying that it might not happen now randomly since people have said they have broken out in months 3 and 4 but as far as today goes, it hasn't happened to me. It is absolutely worth trying. It's not too often I read a comment stating that they completely hate the product and that it made their face worse to the point where they don't want to use it anymore.

Of course there are going to be some people who it doesn't work for. There are people on here who said it did make them worse and they did stop but for the majority of people, it has worked wonders. I would give it a try if I was you ... or if I was me since I use it ... and give it at least 3 months before throwing in the towel. Hopefully it will work way before the 3 month mark but you can't fully tell until around then. You will experience dryness so keep that in mind. I don't think anyone hasn't gone through that but for me, it really isn't bad at all. I will take a couple flakes in the morning before moisterizing over a red face full of acne.

My red marks go away a lot faster than they used to and I think that is due to the BP but then again I can't be too certain. I know that this is the first regimen I have been on that uses BP so I think it is safe to say that it is the reason. So buy it, try it and love it! Goodluck!

I wanted to give an opinion from someone who tried it and quit.

I have mild acne and decided to give it a go. I was on the regime for 3 months and it didn't work for me. The worst part was not knowing my skin anymore if that makes sense. I experienced severe dryness and no real improvement over the 3 months. I got acne in places where I hadn't had it before, it didn't make it worse it was just in different areas.

The reasons for quitting were because the dryness which was painful and so itchy and the redness. Around my eyes and the sides of my mouth were the worst. Shaving was also a nightmare. It also prolonged the red marks for me and from what I’ve read about BP, this seems to happen in the majority of cases. So although it never actually made my acne worse my complexion was a mess. And there was nothing I could do about it. And trust me I tried all the suggested products and more....... And yes I also concead that 3 months might not have been long enough for it work but I know my own skin and my judgement at that time was it wasn't going to help even if I continued.

However, I don't want to put a complete downer on the regime, there are far to many people that it worked for and it would be silly for me to say otherwise but I didn't work for me. I would question though if this is the best place to gage an opinion on what the percentages of whom it worked for and who it didn't. I know there’s a Poll on this site and I’m no physiologist but I’m pretty sure it’s not a fair representation.

With reference to feeling "trapped" I didn't feel this at all. I knew there maybe a breakout (which there was but only small) when stopping but I was pretty sure that by stopping it wasn't going to make my acne worse.

I have been off the regime for about a month now and in a funny way I am happy that I have my old skin back, the one where I knew to a certain extent how to handle it.

I must also add that I live in the UK and I didn't want to fork out for the Acne.org products so I was using Panoxyl 2.5% gel. This may have been why I experienced more that my fair share of redness / dryness but I never tried Dans so I can't say.

My advice would be to do as much reading / research into the regime and if you decide to go for it make sure you by the necessary products ahead of time.

Best of Luck

The regimen is great. It's 100% safe, and it's effective what more could you ask for? I like doing the regimen every day. It works as shaving cream. It just becomes a routine.

It didn't clear me up completely, but then again my acne is really bad and I don't expect a miracle.

Kat, BP + moisturizer + time does not = flawless skin. I did the regimen for 9 months and my skin is clear but looks like absolute crap. Managing dead skin build up and finding means of exfoliating has been nothing short of a nightmare for me. If you have flawless skin but precisely following the regimen or whatever, I consider it luck. Just cause it's PERFECT for DAN doesnt mean its great for everyone

1. Do you regret getting on the regimen as now you are hooked and if you stop you will break out even worst? i.e has anyone been on the regiment and grown out of acne and just come off it breakout free?

No. I stopped about 6 weeks ago and my skin is exactly the same. I experienced a few small breakouts (very minor) in the initial "stoppage" period, but, other than that, my skin has stayed clear 99% of the time. I still get a small pimple here and there, but the same thing happened on the Regimen.

2. Will being on the regimen using dans bp and following it to a T be that much better than what i did with the duac?

I can't say specifically, but I'll give you a quick summary of my acne treatment experience. I never used anything from a dermatologist, but I tried everything else imaginable: ProActiv, washing with a salicylic acid cleanser, washing with a benzoyl peroxide solution, spot treating with Neutrogena/Clearasil/etc. I went vegetarian for 4 months; I used herbal/Chinese medicine; I tried acupuncture; I avoided sugar/sweets/soda for 3 months; I stopped drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana; I drank plenty and smoked plenty; I made sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night; I only slept 6-7 hours a night; I stayed completely out of the sun for 2 months/used sunscreen; I worked out more; I worked out less; I was extremely careful about even touching my skin; I touched my skin all the time--none of it did any good. I couldn't find any correlation whatsoever between my acne and any of the above behaviors.

Given that I had no clue what the cause of my acne was, I decided to find something to treat the symptom. I found acne.org almost 4 years ago, and I haven't looked back since.

3. My red marks (PIH) seem to have faded tonnes quicker off BP. Is that because my skin was dry from not moisturising or a side effect of BP?

Not sure, to be honest. My red marks seemed to fade about the same or maybe a little quicker on the Regimen. AHA+ really helps with that, too.

Here are some before and after pictures just to help you out visually (note: I deleted every ounce of proof that I had acne, so this is the best one I could find):

Before:

post-116237-1299872802_thumb.jpg

After:

post-116237-1299872770_thumb.jpg

The after picture is completely unretouched/unphotoshopped (you can actually see a broken capillary under my right eye--that's not a pimple).

Hopefully this helps. The Regimen gave me 3-4 years of confidence that I would never have achieved on my own, and has probably been one of two defining events in my life that made me the person I am today. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

James

Edited by jamesgarney

Kat, BP + moisturizer + time does not = flawless skin. I did the regimen for 9 months and my skin is clear but looks like absolute crap. Managing dead skin build up and finding means of exfoliating has been nothing short of a nightmare for me. If you have flawless skin but precisely following the regimen or whatever, I consider it luck. Just cause it's PERFECT for DAN doesnt mean its great for everyone

Well, that also goes for those who have a bad experience. I've seen a plethora of people on here state how they have had such bad experiences and how the regimen ruined their skin for life. What about the many more that it worked for? The thousands of pictures that show progress? Complaining about your skin + still doing the regimen + using the wrong products = not going to make it any better. Dry skin is a bitch, but it's easy to get rid of with the right products that work for you and by not being as gentle as Dan recommends.

I apologize if I sounded one-sided by saying that a person's skin will be flawless on the regimen, but I feel that more people get positive results than those who do not. Persistence and using the right products are key. I also feel that the regimen has provided more positive results than other topical and internal medications out there on the market. That's pretty flawless to me.

I agree with Kat. I think dry skin is better than having acne.

BTW, Kat the eucerine lotion you use is that just a body lotion or is it specifically for face?

oh nvm about the eucerine intensive repair lotion. I went to look around my house for a bottle of eucerine that I used while on accutane- and its the same stuff! so glad I don't have to buy more.

No. I always compare this question to brushing my teeth twice a day. Do I regret applying fluoride to my teeth twice a day to avoid cavities, and if I don't brush twice a day I'm opening myself up to cavities? Of course not.

You won't know the answer to this until you try it. The fact of the matter is, Dan's regimen is so cheap and easy to begin with products already sold at your local stores. This is why I say there is really no reason not to try it. It's easy and cost effective just to give it a go.

BP is known to prolong PIH, but the great and relieving fact about PIH is that it's temporary. PIH fades as the skin cells shed. I've found adding AHA (chemical exfoliate) helps with keeping PIH at bay and ridding it faster.