Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NJman22

question for after Accutane

Ok, so I'm in my 6th month of Accutane (Claravis) and I take my last pill Monday morning.

My derm told me that when I am done that I can keep washing my face the same way that I am now (gentle cleanser and lotion afterwards), but to be honest, I dont feel comfortable just doing this. I am completely clear now (have acne scars however), but I just feel that without using anything besides a gentle cleanser, that my acne will come back.

What have others on this board, who finished Accutane, done for their face afterwards. Any suggestions?

Idk... What I learnt from getting acne is that most skincare products are a scam. The reason I got acne in the first place was from a skincare product. Gentle is the way to go.

That is what i chose to do after taking accutane as well. I continued using cetaphil for about a month. Then my oil came back and i became concerned, so i started using an acne cleanser by neutrogena, and it's been working out pretty well. I still moisturize with cetaphil though. I don't recommend using an acne cleanser until your skin gets oily though or else it'll dry out too much.

Hey there. I am on my last month of accutane as well and actually asked my derm if at someone I should use salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or glycolic acid products and how she felt about them. This is my second time on accutane and since I was 13 have had extremely oily skin. The oil came back after my first time so I assume its going to come back this time as well :( My derm told me to continue to use a gentle cleanser for at least a month post accutane. She said glycolic acid benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid will work for only mild acne. I actually use purity cleanser from philosophy which I could never ever use if I was not on accutane as it is a cream cleanser and tried before and made my skin even oilier if that is possible. I found even cetaphil is too drying this time around on accutane. I too feel like Im going to need to use a different product post accutane, but not sure what.

I continued with my Cetaphil cleanser/moisturiser routine for a couple of months after stopping Accutane, but then the oil started coming back and I had to switch back to my previous cleanser before using Accutane. It has been half a year since I stopped Accutane and I am experimenting with AHA products in an effort to get rid of my horrible scarring. :boohoo: