Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
winniepig1

What Brand of Fish Oil doesn't cause break out?

Hi Guys,

I have moderate -- severe acne, and i have been doing research on fish oils, and I have read good and bad reviews about them. They say that we need to look out for the ingredients. I was wondering if anyone thats taking a good fish oil that don't break people out? What brand is it?

Thank you soo much!!!!!!!!

fish oil doesn't cause acne

Thanks, but i've seen people say that certain ingradients break them out. Is that true? are you currently on fish oil?

The main ingredients that break people out are omega 6 (lineolic acid) and omega 9 (oleic acid), if that's how you spell them. Some fish oils contain these as well as the beneficial omega 3s. I take a fish oil supplement that contains omega 3, 6, and 9, and have had no trouble; however, others claim to have had adverse results. If you are worried, just get one that is purely omega 3s with a pretty high EPA and DHA

My personal favorite is Carlson, they make high quality stuff that's molecularly distilled and tested well with Consumerlab an was also reccomended by livestrong.com

There was a lawsuit about a year ago about fish oil contamination with PCB's, including major brands like Solgar and Now. The easiest way to get a good quality fish oil is to look for the IFOS certification. I hear good things about the Carlson brand (like tim12 suggested) and the xtendlife brand. If omega 3 is what you’re looking for, I suggest to also have a look at Moxxor (though expensive).

I would say it is one that is hypoallergenic -- it would not contain soy, gluten, corn and other common foods to which many are sensitive.

I used to take Carlson's, but noticed a pretty significant improvement in my acne after switching to Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega.

Carlson's is a high quality brand, so I'm not sure exactly why I do so much better on the Nordic Naturals, but I do have a couple theories:

-Any fish oil, once the bottle is opened, is going to start to oxidize. Even when kept in the fridge. And fish oils are polyunsaturated fats, which tend to oxidize easily, and do more damage to the body.

In order to get a good healthy dose of EPA & DHA, the main essential fatty acids in fish oil, you have to take about a tablespoon of the Carlson's. Nordic Naturals on the other hand, is super concentrated, so you get about the same amount of DHA & EPA in a teaspoon, as you would in a tablespoon of the Carlson's.

So even though you'd be getting an equal amount of EPA & DHA, with the Carlson's, you're consuming 3 times the amount of oil. And I think that extra load of oil is what makes the difference with acne.

-Another theory is the fact that Nordic Naturals is a "natural triglyceride" form of fish oil, whereas Carlson's (and most brands) are the "ethyl esters" form. For more details on this, just do a Google search on "Fish Oil Triglycerides vs. Ethyl Esters". Some say there is a profound difference between the two and that natural triglycerides are superior. Others say there is no difference at all. As usual, how your own body responds, is a much better measuring stick, than the opinion of some "expert".

Another couple pieces of advice:

-Don't make the same mistake I did, and think that if one dose of fish oil is good, then two will be better! Remember, everything good in moderation. When I did some experimenting with this and doubled my dose of Carlson's, I also doubled my dose of acne.

-Don't take fish oil, or any polyunsaturated fat, at the same time you eat fruit, or anything containing fructose. This puts a big stress on your liver, and can lead to acne.

-Take your fish oil with a meal that contains other healthy fats, protein, and a reasonable amount of complex carbs. Stay away from processed carbs altogether, or large quantities of complex carbs.

The main ingredients that break people out are omega 6 (lineolic acid) and omega 9 (oleic acid), if that's how you spell them. Some fish oils contain these as well as the beneficial omega 3s. I take a fish oil supplement that contains omega 3, 6, and 9, and have had no trouble; however, others claim to have had adverse results. If you are worried, just get one that is purely omega 3s with a pretty high EPA and DHA

hello, are you taking the softgels or the liquids?

I've been taking the soft gels.

Has anyone ever taken the brand Norwegian Gold? My mom takes that, but I don't want to change from the one I'm currently on - too scared of breakouts.

I've been taking the soft gels.

Has anyone ever taken the brand Norwegian Gold? My mom takes that, but I don't want to change from the one I'm currently on - too scared of breakouts.

What brand are you taking? I want to get started :):) Thank you!!!!

It is made by Nature's Way. Here is a link: http://www6.netrition.com/nw_mega_369_efa_blend.html

Scroll down to see what it contains. It isn't purely fish oil, it's a blend of different oils with the essential fatty acids. I have seen very good results for it and would recommend it, although I don't know how you would react or if anyone else here has taken it. A lot of people here like Carlson's, so you could consider that one also. Everyone reacts differently to different things.

I have yet to find a fish oil brand that will not break me out. I have tried both generic and pharmaceutical grade, include Nordic Naturals, Carlsons and Cardiostat to name a few.

I get my Omega 3's by simply eating fish on a regular basis - and eating fish alone has had no negative effects on my skin.

fish oil actually completely cleared my bacne. My face never had much other than 1 or 2 spots/healing marks at any given time, so i'm not sure. By eliminating dairy, having a better diet, and including fish oil and zinc, i get less than one pimple a week on my face.

fish oil actually completely cleared my bacne. My face never had much other than 1 or 2 spots/healing marks at any given time, so i'm not sure. By eliminating dairy, having a better diet, and including fish oil and zinc, i get less than one pimple a week on my face.

Wait. So fish oil actually does help acne? Or does it cause it? I'm confused. I could have sworn I heard once that it helps clear acne.

It helps the majority of people, but like anything, some people claims to have caused acne. It may cause it because it... 1) still has toxins in it 2) is bad quality 3) is rancid

For some reason, this one salmon oil caused me to break out, but another brand has helped me.

So, you just need to find a brand that works. i recommend trying it, if uf haven't already

Edited by vapor1

i've been trying to figure this one out for the longest time. i've tried all kinds of fish oil, i must say some did wonders for my skin whereas the other broke me out horribly. deep cystic acne that wud take longer to heal. you take it and might experience initial break out, but if this breakout last more than two weeks and if realize that more cystic acne starts to form, its better to stop completely. another thing is, if you find your face oilier in the morning, and your face seems to be clogged, and cant breath. stop completely. taking omega 3 should regulate and balance horomone by producing prostaglandin. there are two types of prostaglandin, inflammatory(bad) and anti-inflammatory(good). by balancing out the horomone, you produce less androgen therefore less sebum production, keeping your face dry. hope this make sense. gluck guys

I used Nordic Natural fish oil capsules and I think they helped quite a bit, but they were just so expensive. I then tried Carlton's Finest Fish Oil (liquid) after reading a number of reviews, but I really think it exacerbated my acne, but I am not 100% sure. Despite my uncertaincy, I have stopped using their oil. Some people claim that the best type of fish oil for acne is different for each person, and before trying Carlton's fish oil, I honestly wouldn't had believed that, but now I kind of do.

If you have the money, try out Nordic Natural's fish oil capsules on Amazon :)

As long as you get a brand that has no Soy in it (many fish oil supplements do for whatever reason) you should be fine.