Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asian828

I feel like I can't be myself with my scars

I feel like I can't be myself with my scars and do all the things I want to do and try. There are days when I just don't want to go out. It's debilitating. Does anyone else feel that way, or is it just me?

I'm in my late twenties and have not yet been in a relationship. I feel like my scars have been a major reason why I've been driving a lot of people away. I've always used makeup to cover them but would really love to improve my skin condition and be au naturel. Anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone know of any compassionate, knowledgeable dermatologists in the Boston/Metrowest area? I'd like to find someone who's experienced with successfully performing scar treatments (esp. on Chinese people).

Thanks in advance for replying.

I feel like I can't be myself with my scars and do all the things I want to do and try. There are days when I just don't want to go out. It's debilitating. Does anyone else feel that way, or is it just me?

I'm in my late twenties and have not yet been in a relationship. I feel like my scars have been a major reason why I've been driving a lot of people away. I've always used makeup to cover them but would really love to improve my skin condition and be au naturel. Anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone know of any compassionate, knowledgeable dermatologists in the Boston/Metrowest area? I'd like to find someone who's experienced with successfully performing scar treatments (esp. on Chinese people).

Yeah, I used to feel that way too. I no longer do, though. I'll see if I can reply some more later on. I'm in the same age group as you, btw. Anyway, I'll come back to this thread later, for what it's worth.

*looks around to find the place almost deserted but decides to post anyway*

Ni hao. *sounds gong* Ok, so like I said earlier I used to be in sort of the same situation, if you will. I was constantly thinking about what other people might say and think about my skin...and it was tiring. Annoying. I freaked myself out. Now, to a degree this was understandable seeing that there are people who, shall we say have an undesireably low level of spiritual development and who therefore go around saying things to people like "Hey can't you get surgery or something?" and you might say "I'm not bothered by it..." and they'll go "Yeah that might be so, but WE have to look at it all day. So can't you do us a favor?! LOL :evil:". And to run into people like that... Who wants that? I mean seriously. To have that kind of thing going on can really louse up your mood/day. Especially if you're maybe not that "strong" by which I mean that if you're e.g. insecure and a thing like that happens...it may very well affect you. In a negative way. Then again, if you are confident...you won't really care and you'll of course deal with it very differently. Now, I'm not pretending to be a rocket scientist here by telling you this. In fact if you were to do a survey on this message board I'm sure you'll find that the general consensus is that I'm in fact...the opposite. LOL :) But what I'm trying to tell you is that it all lies "within" you, ok? I mean you can't change the people around you, you probably can't change your skin in the sense that you'll have flawless, peachy skin...but you can change the way you think. What you tell yourself. The attitude you have towards it all and the degree to which you challenge yourself too. I mean instead of staying in when you're thinking something along the lines of "Oh my goodness, I must look terrible to people today! I can't go out. I just can't." you could go out anyway. Even if it's just to get some groceries in advance or something. Or you could go for a short walk... Anything as long as you're out there. Often enough you'll find that it's not as hard/terrible/horrifying as you imagine. And that people react way more kindly and postively to you than you may think they will beforehand. Really. It would be a shame if you held yourself back when there's really no need for it. You gotta fulfill your potential. And really, acne and scars can't thwart you from doing that. Your way of thinking on the other hand, might. If you let it. So don't let it. ;)

Again; for what it's worth... And I can't help you as far as the derm is concerned but I'm sure someone else can. In any case, I wish you all the best...

Edited by Lapis lazuli

Ni hao. *sounds gong* Ok, so like I said earlier I used to be in sort of the same situation, if you will. I was constantly thinking about what other people might say and think about my skin...and it was tiring. Annoying. I freaked myself out. Now, to a degree this was understandable seeing that there are people who, shall we say have an undesireably low level of spiritual development and who therefore go around saying things to people like "Hey can't you get surgery or something?" and you might say "I'm not bothered by it..." and they'll go "Yeah that might be so, but WE have to look at it all day. So can't you do us a favor?! LOL :evil:". And to run into people like that... Who wants that? I mean seriously. To have that kind of thing going on can really louse up your mood/day. Especially if you're maybe not that "strong" by which I mean that if you're e.g. insecure and a thing like that happens...it may very well affect you. In a negative way. Then again, if you are confident...you won't really care and you'll of course deal with it very differently. Now, I'm not pretending to be a rocket scientist here by telling you this. In fact if you were to do a survey on this message board I'm sure you'll find that the general consenus is that I'm in fact...the opposite. LOL :) But what I'm trying to tell you is that it all lies "within" you, ok? I mean you can't change the people around you, you probably can't change your skin in the sense that you'll have flawless, peachy skin...but you can change the way you think. What you tell yourself. The attitude you have towards it all and the degree to which you challenge yourself too. I mean instead of staying in when you're thinking something along the lines of "Oh my goodness, I must look terrible to people today! I can't go out. I just can't." you could go out anyway. Even if it's just to get some groceries in advance or something. Or you could go for a short walk... Anything as long as you're out there. Often enough you'll find that it's not as hard/terrible/horrifying as you imagine. And that people react way more kindly and postively to you than you may think they will beforehand. Really. It would be a shame if you held yourself back when there's really no need for it. You gotta fulfill your potential. And really, acne and scars can't thwart you from doing that. Your way of thinking on the other hand, might. If you let it. So don't let it. ;)

Again; for what it's worth... And I can't help you as far as the derm is concerned but I'm sure someone else can. In any case, I wish you all the best...

Ni hao. *sounds gong* Ok, so like I said earlier I used to be in sort of the same situation, if you will. I was constantly thinking about what other people might say and think about my skin...and it was tiring. Annoying. I freaked myself out. Now, to a degree this was understandable seeing that there are people who, shall we say have an undesireably low level of spiritual development and who therefore go around saying things to people like "Hey can't you get surgery or something?" and you might say "I'm not bothered by it..." and they'll go "Yeah that might be so, but WE have to look at it all day. So can't you do us a favor?! LOL :evil:". And to run into people like that... Who wants that? I mean seriously. To have that kind of thing going on can really louse up your mood/day. Especially if you're maybe not that "strong" by which I mean that if you're e.g. insecure and a thing like that happens...it may very well affect you. In a negative way. Then again, if you are confident...you won't really care and you'll of course deal with it very differently. Now, I'm not pretending to be a rocket scientist here by telling you this. In fact if you were to do a survey on this message board I'm sure you'll find that the general consensus is that I'm in fact...the opposite. LOL :) But what I'm trying to tell you is that it all lies "within" you, ok? I mean you can't change the people around you, you probably can't change your skin in the sense that you'll have flawless, peachy skin...but you can change the way you think. What you tell yourself. The attitude you have towards it all and the degree to which you challenge yourself too. I mean instead of staying in when you're thinking something along the lines of "Oh my goodness, I must look terrible to people today! I can't go out. I just can't." you could go out anyway. Even if it's just to get some groceries in advance or something. Or you could go for a short walk... Anything as long as you're out there. Often enough you'll find that it's not as hard/terrible/horrifying as you imagine. And that people react way more kindly and postively to you than you may think they will beforehand. Really. It would be a shame if you held yourself back when there's really no need for it. You gotta fulfill your potential. And really, acne and scars can't thwart you from doing that. Your way of thinking on the other hand, might. If you let it. So don't let it. ;)

I just want to say thanks for your post. I was having a really hard time today with my face....and it totally cheered me up and made some great points. :clap:

I just want to say thanks for your post. I was having a really hard time today with my face....and it totally cheered me up and made some great points. :clap:

Ah, well that's awesome. haha :) Sorry to hear you had a bad day. I know how hard it can be. :confused:

please dont let them get you down

i had severe acne scars for years,i was so depressed

i did several lasers like fraxel,lux and so on

this is what started helping me

first you need to do subscions, to break the scar tissu, NO treatment gonna help before you do that

I did 4 susbcions , with 2 mm dermaroller, after 6 months my scars improved 60 porsent

then i did more dermarollers and tca cross, only a dermotologist can help with acne scar!!!

dont listen to people try to sell all kinfs of treatments, this works, belive me

i though i always gonna have a horiible skin,but after doing this it really helped

ive been treatet by

dr chu in london

dr lin in los angeles

and michal rich in australia

,let me know if you need me to help me find someone who can help you!

post-145889-1298757089_thumb.jpgI'm not quite sure which kind...ice pick, boxcar, rolling...a mix of the three?

Sorry for the late reply. I was a little hesitant about taking pictures (I don't like taking pictures, partly because of them). I'm also new to posting on this site, so please bear with me. Thanks. I think the files are too big...sorry, I'm not very tech saavy.

Edited by Asian828

post-145889-1298757089_thumb.jpgI'm not quite sure which kind...ice pick, boxcar, rolling...a mix of the three?

Sorry for the late reply. I was a little hesitant about taking pictures (I don't like taking pictures, partly because of them). I'm also new to posting on this site, so please bear with me. Thanks. I think the files are too big...sorry, I'm not very tech saavy.

Lapis Lazuli--Thanks for your post. It is definitely a good pick-me-up for those times when you're just having a bad day. I know it's mind over matter, but there are still those days, esp. when it's that time of the month. I'm definitely trying, but I feel like it's easier said than done. I wish you the best as well.

please dont let them get you down

i had severe acne scars for years,i was so depressed

i did several lasers like fraxel,lux and so on

this is what started helping me

first you need to do subscions, to break the scar tissu, NO treatment gonna help before you do that

I did 4 susbcions , with 2 mm dermaroller, after 6 months my scars improved 60 porsent

then i did more dermarollers and tca cross, only a dermotologist can help with acne scar!!!

dont listen to people try to sell all kinfs of treatments, this works, belive me

i though i always gonna have a horiible skin,but after doing this it really helped

ive been treatet by

dr chu in london

dr lin in los angeles

and michal rich in australia

,let me know if you need me to help me find someone who can help you!

Acnescars8888--Thanks for your post. What is subscion exactly? I tried to Google it but didn't really get anything. I definitely want to look into those treatments you've mentioned once I find a reliable, experienced dermatologist in MA (Metrowest/Boston area). Did the treatments hurt? Is there anything I should watch out for in terms of the subscion, dermaroller, and TCA cross. As for the dermaroller, since needles are poking into your skin, do they leave holes or enlarged pores? I'm still in the search for a dermatologist. Do you know of any good dermatologists in the MA area?

The past few dermatologists I've been to (and those that my brother has been to) didn't seem to want to be there and didn't really give us the time of day. We were just handed a prescription after 2 seconds. Needless to say, I was a little unhappy with the visit.

Anyone know of a compassionate dermatologist who is experienced in acne scar treatments, esp. with Chinese people?

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Hi

I just wanted to say that I have similar scarring but mine is much worse. I just want to say that i sympathize with you on the scarring. You're really lucky cuz you don't seem to have PIH on your scars so its less noticeable. I believe you mainly have boxcar scars. Like other posters said, i think you would benefit from rolling and dermastamping and subscision.

I can't say from experience on any of the treatments b/c my skin heals poorly and Im scared that I would further damage my skin if I did any of them. Plus I still have active breakouts so I wouldnt be able to do it regardless. Your skin looks really good other than a few little blemishes. Plus your scarring looks really minor to me. Trust me, your skin looks like butter compared to mine. :D

Im sorry i dont know any good dermatologists or plastic surgeons in your area. Im on the opposite end of the US lol.

Hi

I just wanted to say that I have similar scarring but mine is much worse. I just want to say that i sympathize with you on the scarring. You're really lucky cuz you don't seem to have PIH on your scars so its less noticeable. I believe you mainly have boxcar scars. Like other posters said, i think you would benefit from rolling and dermastamping and subscision.

I can't say from experience on any of the treatments b/c my skin heals poorly and Im scared that I would further damage my skin if I did any of them. Plus I still have active breakouts so I wouldnt be able to do it regardless. Your skin looks really good other than a few little blemishes. Plus your scarring looks really minor to me. Trust me, your skin looks like butter compared to mine. :D

Im sorry i dont know any good dermatologists or plastic surgeons in your area. Im on the opposite end of the US lol.

Hi Frannymae,

Thanks for your post. I guess it's hard to see from the photos, but I do have some dark red marks left on my cheeks from the breakouts.

So you haven't tried any of the treatments? Guessing from your picture, you're also of Asian descent. I'm Chinese and have a fairly light complexion so any mark becomes very noticeable. My skin is quite delicate, and I'm also scared that I may further damage my skin, which is why I'd prefer to consult with a compassionate dermatologist who's experienced with Asian skin.

Have you tried any other treatments--any chemical peels? Do you get facials often? I'm wondering if that may help. I personally have never gotten one at a spa. I just do my own, at least try to. As a matter of fact, I have mashed-up organic cucumber (a whole one) and lemon juice on my face right now. It's quite soothing.

You may want to try Dr. Weil for Origins Mega-Mushroom Skin Relief Treatment Lotion. This is the ONLY product I have found so far that has helped to prevent marks, esp. from zits. It literally CALMED my skin and barely left a mark where the zit used to be. I have to say, though, that it USUALLY works, but not all the time, which I don't quite understand. There were a couple of times when it didn't work as well. The first few times I used it, I was very obsessive in applying it; I patted it onto the affected area at least every other hour. It definitely was worth it because it completely vanished. Then I got lazy and only applied it twice a day, and the results weren't as great. I definitely would suggest you try the Mega-Mushroom Treatment Lotion. Just to let you know, it's more like a toner than a lotion. I wouldn't put anything else on while you use that, because things might react with it and render it ineffective.

Also, don't be discouraged if it gets worse before it gets better. My zit had continued to get bigger when I used the lotion. I waited it out and continued to use it. Then the lotion forced the gunk out of the zit, and it slowly diminished to nothingness. I couldn't believe it. Of course that was when I was applying it every other hour. Patience is key. I also found that the lotion worked best when you use it right when you feel that a zit is forming.

Do you use any makeup as a cover up? It has been hard for me to find one that covers the marks and does not look odd with my natural skin tone. I've also tried to use concealers, but they just end up looking cake-y when I apply foundation on top of it. Any suggestions?

Are you doing anything else to help with your active breakouts, such as exercise, diet...etc? I just recently started yoga, and I must say it really helps to alleviate stress (decrease the production of stress hormones that may lead to breakouts) and calm your body down and help you find your center.

Once again, thanks for your post :) Good luck with your regimen!

How long have those red marks been there? Do you use any kind of tretinoin? My suggestion is to use retin-a and dermastamp. I've been dermastamp/dermarolling at home(started in Jan 2011).

As for a doctor in Boston,

http://www.bostoncentreaestheticmedicine.c...lagen-induction

Never been to this doctor but he's one of the pioneers in microneedling.

Hi ItHurtsToLok,

Thanks for replying. They are mainly some old ones from my breakouts years ago and a few red marks from the random zits I got recently. I had gotten lazy and didn't use the Mega-Mushroom Treatment Lotion I usually use. I've also noticed that my pores are larger near the areas where breakouts occur. Why is that? How does one prevent that?

I used to use Tazorac (0.05% cream, I believe) for a while, but then it was too drying. It also caused my pores to get larger in the area where I applied Tazorac, so I stopped using it for fear that all my pores would enlarge, creating another problem.

How has the dermastamp and dermarolling been going for you? Does it hurt and leave little holes? Did you consult a dermatologist before starting those at home? Is that sometime one can do at home? I'm always afraid of doing something wrong that'll worsen my skin condition.

I hope you're having a good weekend!

Hi ItHurtsToLok,

Thanks for replying. They are mainly some old ones from my breakouts years ago and a few red marks from the random zits I got recently. I had gotten lazy and didn't use the Mega-Mushroom Treatment Lotion I usually use. I've also noticed that my pores are larger near the areas where breakouts occur. Why is that? How does one prevent that?

I used to use Tazorac (0.05% cream, I believe) for a while, but then it was too drying. It also caused my pores to get larger in the area where I applied Tazorac, so I stopped using it for fear that all my pores would enlarge, creating another problem.

How has the dermastamp and dermarolling been going for you? Does it hurt and leave little holes? Did you consult a dermatologist before starting those at home? Is that sometime one can do at home? I'm always afraid of doing something wrong that'll worsen my skin condition.

I hope you're having a good weekend!

The pain is bearable so for me, it does not hurt. I did not consult a doctor but I have contacted two doctors that do dermastamp/dermarolling. I have a few websites and I believe two studies saved that writes about microneedling if you want to read them. I was afraid to do it at home too because of the "clean environment" I read one had to maintain but it's really easy. As for worsening scars, a number of people on this forum say their scars worsened but there are a number of people who say the opposite. I guess that goes for any treatment. nom sayin'?

I used to be feel the same way you did at one time. I felt that I was hopeless in dating because of my scars and I was afraid to meet new people. I am a very shy by nature and the insecurity I felt added to it even further. One day I decided that I needed to start working on my confidence. I no longer wanted my scarring to interfere with my life and attitude toward myself. I started to be more social and made some new friends, I worked harder at my job which eventually led to a promotion, and I started focusing on other aspects of my outward appearance like my hair and weight. While I did not forget about my scars, focusing on other things helped me to feel better about myself.

Nearly two years ago I reconnected with someone through Facebook who I graduated with in the same year. I was hesitant to see him at first because he was one of the 'popular' guys back then and I was the shy kid with terrible acne who had very few friends. I was completely shocked to find out that he used to think I was cute back then and had a little crush on me during our senior year. Well...to make a long story short, we hit it off quite well when we met and we are still together now. To have someone in my life who loves me for me and can see past my scarring makes all the difference in the world.

Please remember there are great guys out there who are not going to care about small things like scars. All you have to do is believe in fate and know that the right guy will come along who will love you for all that you are. In the meantime, try to do things to build your confidence and get out there and meet people.

Good luck with everything!!

I do see a little bit of scarring but to me it looks pretty mild. I think that you also have great skin texture and a great complexion. Your scarring doesnt look deep nor do you have alot of scarring. I feel a little jealous.

I used to be feel the same way you did at one time. I felt that I was hopeless in dating because of my scars and I was afraid to meet new people. I am a very shy by nature and the insecurity I felt added to it even further. One day I decided that I needed to start working on my confidence. I no longer wanted my scarring to interfere with my life and attitude toward myself. I started to be more social and made some new friends, I worked harder at my job which eventually led to a promotion, and I started focusing on other aspects of my outward appearance like my hair and weight. While I did not forget about my scars, focusing on other things helped me to feel better about myself.

Nearly two years ago I reconnected with someone through Facebook who I graduated with in the same year. I was hesitant to see him at first because he was one of the 'popular' guys back then and I was the shy kid with terrible acne who had very few friends. I was completely shocked to find out that he used to think I was cute back then and had a little crush on me during our senior year. Well...to make a long story short, we hit it off quite well when we met and we are still together now. To have someone in my life who loves me for me and can see past my scarring makes all the difference in the world.

Please remember there are great guys out there who are not going to care about small things like scars. All you have to do is believe in fate and know that the right guy will come along who will love you for all that you are. In the meantime, try to do things to build your confidence and get out there and meet people.

Good luck with everything!!

Im so happy for you! Great post!