Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YourStar

Questions about Acctuane : )

I just took my first pill today. And ill be taking it for 5 months btw. So i already talked to my dermatologist, but i forgot to ask some things and i really want to talk to people whos taking(or taken) acctuane. Anyways here are my questions.

If my skin isnt severe, its acne but its not horribly bad, will it work faster than people with very severe acne, or does it not matter?

Im only on 20mg this month, is that normal to be on that low of a dose for the 1st month? and will it even do anything to my skin, effect it at all?

When does my skin start drying out? First week, month, second week, etc.?

Will i have a huge breakout? when does this usually happen? do you break out alot then get clear then break out again, or is it once then gets better?

Can i use masks or spot masks while im on accutane? can i do anything to clear up pimples?

What about hair loss? is that a common side effect or is it rare? thats something that really scares!

WEll thats all i got right now, anything else i should know?

Edited by YourStar

So, just took my first pill today, i dont feel any different though haha but i doubt you will in the first day. And ill be taking it for 5 months btw. So i already went over everything with my dermatologist, but i forgot to ask some things and i really want to talk to people whos taking(or taken) acctuane. Btw my name is Brittany and i turned 17 2 months ago, im in the 11th grade, and i had acne since 9th grade. (though my skin was clear this summer)

Anyways here are my questions.

If my skin isnt severe, its acne but its not horribly bad, will it work faster than people with very severe acne, or does it not matter?

Possibly, but I wouldn't worry about that too much since you can't change it. Even if you clear quickly you'll have to stay on the drug for a while to minimise the chance of relapsing.

Im only on 20mg this month, is that normal to be on that low of a dose for the 1st month? and will it even do anything to my skin, effect it at all?

Some derms start patients on low doses to minimise the initial breakout and to get your body used to the drug. While this low dose will still dry you out, I hope that your derm will raise your dose in the not too distant future according to your weight (0.5 mg/kg/day to 1 mg/kg/day is usually a good dose range).

When does my skin start drying out? First week, month, second week, etc.?

Anytime within the first few weeks. Don't worry, you'll notice it.

Will i have a huge breakout? when does this usually happen? do you break out alot then get clear then break out again, or is it once then gets better?

I don't know if you will have a "huge" breakout, but you may have a noticeable initial breakout that commences within the first month or so (and possibly reappears with dosage increases). Again, I wouldn't worry about this because you can't change/stop it, and anyway it is a sign that the drug is working because it means your oil glands are shrinking and pushing out excess oil.

Can i use masks or spot masks while im on accutane? can i do anything to clear up pimples?

What about hair loss? is that a common side effect or is it rare? thats something that really scares!

Apart from moisturising I would do as little as possible to your face on Accutane. Hair loss is rare on Accutane, and even when it occurs the hair grows back completely in >99% of cases.

WEll thats all i got right now, anything else i should know? did it work for you? i cant wait till my skin is clear x )

Some other tips:

1. Minimise sun exposure and alcohol intake on Accutane. If you must go out in the sun wear sunscreen and cover exposed skin. Don't get pregnant. Don't tan.

2. Take your Accutane with food and with a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter or olive oil to maximise absorption (Accutane is fat soluble).

3. Moisturise thrice daily with a decent moisturiser (e.g. Cetaphil) on your arms, face and hands to minimise the chance of rashes arising from dry skin.

4. Drink lots of water throughout the day to prevent dehydration (3-4 L).

Edited by jimmy188

i have another question! okay so during the first week, my skin got dry and my lips got a bit chapped and my skin started clearing up. but now its the second week and my skin isnt really dry anymore and my lips are less dry and im breaking out? whats going on i thought id just keep getting more and more dry. and im breaking out now, but im suppost to be breaking out right? i just didnt know if id start this soon, or if id be breaking out right now anyways without accutane.. do i need a higher dose, i am on 20mg or is this normal and ill my skin will start drying out soon?

Anything from 20-50 mg/day of Accutane is a good dose for you. If your lips go completely back to normal on 20 mg/day (try going a couple hours without lip balm), tell your Derm that you think an increase in dose is needed.

Edited by jimmy188

yeah he said he was gonna increase it for next month, this month i was suppost to be on 20mg then next months a higher dose. i just dont know if its suppost to be doing this.. does that mean its not working? or effecting my skin at all, and now its going to take even longer till my skin gets better?.. im confused D :

well i think its working again, i guess its suppost to do that, and i guess you wont really notice any difference till your 3rd month or so..... so anyways

i went to camp this weekend and forgot to bring my accutane, i missed two nights of accutane, and if you didnt read the top i take 20mg a day, should i take two pills today instead of one to catch up?

well i think its working again, i guess its suppost to do that, and i guess you wont really notice any difference till your 3rd month or so..... so anyways

i went to camp this weekend and forgot to bring my accutane, i missed two nights of accutane, and if you didnt read the top i take 20mg a day, should i take two pills today instead of one to catch up?

i wouldn't suggest taking 'catch up' pills. i missed 2 weeks worth of accutane doses because of insurance issues since none of the insurance companies available to me wanted to cover it! i had eczema on the backs of my hands during my course of accutane. my lips were dry and peeling. my contact lenses were really bothersome so for the most of my course i just kept my glasses on. sometimes my joints would feel very achy and tight. i noticed a drastic difference with my overall skin tone and the disappearance of large, under-the-skin pimples around the end of the 2nd month, beginning of the 3rd month. i finished my course on march 15th. i got a small pimple a couple weeks ago because i was on my period. it was a hormonal break out. i still plan on taking birth control for awhile now to regulate my hormones since they can be a little out of whack sometimes. let me know if you have any more questions.

i wouldn't suggest taking 'catch up' pills. i missed 2 weeks worth of accutane doses because of insurance issues since none of the insurance companies available to me wanted to cover it! i had eczema on the backs of my hands during my course of accutane. my lips were dry and peeling. my contact lenses were really bothersome so for the most of my course i just kept my glasses on. sometimes my joints would feel very achy and tight. i noticed a drastic difference with my overall skin tone and the disappearance of large, under-the-skin pimples around the end of the 2nd month, beginning of the 3rd month. i finished my course on march 15th. i got a small pimple a couple weeks ago because i was on my period. it was a hormonal break out. i still plan on taking birth control for awhile now to regulate my hormones since they can be a little out of whack sometimes. let me know if you have any more questions.

hi, firstly sorry if im posting in wrong place but joined today and not sure where to make this post! :confused:

anyways,my derm put me on accutane 10mg per day. i have mild/moderate acne. i was wondering since i was put on very low dose (my suggestion due to paranoia) will the side effects be minimal? im mostly refering to IB and dry skin (espesially lips!) and something i've wnted to know for a while is is the dry lips (and face) noticable by others(if so how noticable?) and if i apply moisuriser and lip balm does it make it much less noticable? and btw will 10mg actually work?dont forget my acne isnt that bad and my skin isnt THAT oily.

sorry again if im posting in an inappropriate place :surprised:

hi, firstly sorry if im posting in wrong place but joined today and not sure where to make this post! :confused:

anyways,my derm put me on accutane 10mg per day. i have mild/moderate acne. i was wondering since i was put on very low dose (my suggestion due to paranoia) will the side effects be minimal? im mostly refering to IB and dry skin (espesially lips!) and something i've wnted to know for a while is is the dry lips (and face) noticable by others(if so how noticable?) and if i apply moisuriser and lip balm does it make it much less noticable? and btw will 10mg actually work?dont forget my acne isnt that bad and my skin isnt THAT oily.

sorry again if im posting in an inappropriate place :surprised:

Hi Nikolas, 10 mg for your first month sounds fine to me. I am sure your dermatologist knows about what dosage is appropriate for you. I asked for a higher dosage the 3rd month to accelerate the effects of Accutane. Just see what they say and go according to how you feel. I noticed side effects around 20 mg already such as dry lips and eyes. For the dry lips, I've found that Palmer's Cocoa Butter in the swivel stick works really well. I still use it. It has a light scent to it, but it is not at waxy as Aquaphor or Vaseline. It retails for about 3 dollars I believe. Moisturizer and lip balm will become your best friends. These next 6 months for you will seem to drag on and on as you continue taking the medicine, but I promise you it is worth it. My skin has never looked like this. It only looked this good when I had my untainted pre-pubescent skin. The IB is a result of your sebaceous (oil) glands shrinking and the excess oil being pushed to the surface. Don't tamper with the pimples that will start to surface because the drug also slows the normal healing process of a pimple dramatically. Also, if you have any more questions regarding Accutane, you can make your own topic here in the Accutane posts board. It will draw more attention to your inquiries as compared to just posting in another user's topic.

Ithis isnt really a question, just a update.. I've been taking 40mg for the last month and on wednesday I'll probably start taking a higher dose, idk yet I'm just guessing. I don't know if it's normal, but my skins not dry at all really, the only thing I really have is dry lips, and my hairs a little dry, nothing else. So far accutanes been pretty easy, the only real complaint was the breakout after they up'd my dose last time

yeah my skins pretty clear right now, im sure if he bumps me up on my dose tho, i might break out, i did last time,

this is what my skin looks like right now btw if anyone wants to see

-image removed-

Edited by YourStar

Looking good. Stick with it, keeping your derm up to date with any troubling side effects.

Accutane takes months to work, during which time your skin's condition may fluctuate greatly and regularly, especially with dose increases.

Only be slightly concerned if you still have significant acne 4 months after your first pill. Until then, pimples are not uncommon.

Good luck.

Edited by biggs881

Yeah I take it eveynight at dinner

Update -

I'm almost done with month 4, got about 9 more days left, and tomorrows my appointment at the dermatologist. I'm still on 40mg, he wouldn't raise it up because of my weight, which is between 98 - 103lbs. I started taking sulphur pills (I think that's what it's called) which he prescribed me last time