Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

BUTTER!!!

Hey all... havent been on here in a while... just wonderin what you're all up to.

I've been on a VERY LOW GI diet for a long time now. I dont eat a whole lot of carbs so I replaced them with good fats :). This really helped my skin.... I eat a lot of avocados, soaked/sprouted seeds and nuts, coconut oil, olive oil and BUTTER. I only eat organic free range unsalted butter...and it's weird because I break out when I eat most dairy but butter doesnt seem to be a problem.

It's come to the point where I am eating a 2cup bar of butter in three days lol. I soak my walnuts over night and then salt them and eat them with butter for breakfast. I've done a lot of research on how healthy butter is and most of the alternative health sites including Bee's Candida Diet site say that you can as much "good fats" as you want (this includes butter according to these sites) and it will not have an impact on your cholesterol or heart. And this diet has been working so well for me.... I'm just worried that the conventional doctors are right about butter and that I'll fall over with a heart attack at 25 years old LOL. cause with the amount of butter I eat... it's ALOT of fat... Its hard to know who to believe when doing research.... but knowing that Bee's Candida Diet helped me makes me want to believe her... HOWEVER she also has some theories that Id ont believe.... so I'm not sure what to do. I dont want to quit this diet unless it's having a serious impact on my heart health. I'm wondering if I should get a cholesterol test done? What other tests could tell me if I damaging my heart?

It was weird because the last time I went to the doctor and I was on this diet she listened to my heart and told me my life long heart murmer was gone... UUUHHH WHAT?? I'm 25 years old and all of a sudden it's gone?

Anway... what do you guys think? Anyone here who eats as much good fats as I do?

Taryn

sounds great! tip: there is no casein in butter, so it may well be the substance you are reacting to in other dairy - especially likely if you react to gluten.

Conventional wisdom suggests that butter is unhealthy, and they rather propose to eat artificial fats like margarin. So I'd say to you, trust Bee's diet - at least, butter is healthy in my opinion. Especially if raw.

saturated fat supposedly raises LDL cholesterol. HDL levels are supposed to be higher then LDL. You need a certain amount of saturated fats, but not much. supposedly 20 grams which may be 2-3 teaspoons of butter. I have been researching heart disease and its "causes" and there are many contributing factors, its much more then just dietary fats raising bad cholesterol. Magnesium and b vitamins such as niacin have been proven to lower cholesterol level significantly. Also, its quite possible that simple sugar intake +high fat diet, is more to blame then the fat intake alone.Oh, and then there is the vitamin c hypothesis proposed by linus pauling.

as you see, with all the data we have on heart disease, there is no one cause, many things contribute to this process.what will come as a surprise to you is that infants that breast feed are getting 900% or more the rda in saturated fat. my question is, why do they not get heart attacks???haha!! my attempt to answer this question is that blood sugar and vitamins may have more to do with heart disease then fat intake. As fat is something that is required for human life, as suggested by the amounts in breast milk.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

saturated fat supposedly raises LDL cholesterol. HDL levels are supposed to be higher then LDL. You need a certain amount of saturated fats, but not much. supposedly 20 grams which may be 2-3 teaspoons of butter. I have been researching heart disease and its "causes" and there are many contributing factors, its much more then just dietary fats raising bad cholesterol. Magnesium and b vitamins such as niacin have been proven to lower cholesterol level significantly. Also, its quite possible that simple sugar intake +high fat diet, is more to blame then the fat intake alone.Oh, and then there is the vitamin c hypothesis proposed by linus pauling.

as you see, with all the data we have on heart disease, there is no one cause, many things contribute to this process.what will come as a surprise to you is that infants that breast feed are getting 900% or more the rda in saturated fat. my question is, why do they not get heart attacks???haha!! my attempt to answer this question is that blood sugar and vitamins may have more to do with heart disease then fat intake. As fat is something that is required for human life, as suggested by the amounts in breast milk.

OMG you are sooo right.... I just got so worked up reading all these different theories... But Bee always says that high carbs and sugar intake, lack of nutrition and consumtion of bad fats (trans fat) are more to blame for heart disease than anything else. I guess I just have that little voice in the back of mind mind still wispering to me that "butter is BAD" hahaha.... I cant help it. When you are told one thing your whole life it's hard to think any other way. However I used to be told that diet didnt affect acne :rolleyes: and I got over that idea pretty quickly haha.

Thanks guys for your input :).

It's good to see you making such good progress.

How do you react to cheese by the way? I find cheese and butter beneficial but react badly to milk.

How do you react to cheese by the way? I find cheese and butter beneficial but react badly to milk.

Thank-you how are you doing? :).

I actually dont know about cheese, I havent really had cheese since 2006 haha. Cutting out dairy was the first thing I ever did for my acne. I was too scared to try it again. Although I was scared of butter too but then I went on Bee's Diet and had to eat it to keep my calories up and realized it makes me feel and look better. I gained ten pounds on Bee's diet! I was so afraid of fats making me break out before that I wasnt eating enough of them , I looked like a skeleton. I am naturally skinny but I wasnt eating proper ratios before so I couldnt gain weight no matter how hard I tried. Now I'm 5"7 and 120lbs and pretty happy with that, I'd maybe like to gain about 5 more pounds....The only real issue I'm having is that I'm growing out of all my pants! AHHHH! LOL....

OH! Also.... I find Yoga has really helped me! Espcially with my attitude.

Edited by tdot

And I believe some people have high cholesterol and no heart disease (plaque buildup, hardened arteries and whatnot) while other people have low cholesterol and heart disease.

Thank-you how are you doing? :).

I actually dont know about cheese, I havent really had cheese since 2006 haha. Cutting out dairy was the first thing I ever did for my acne. I was too scared to try it again. Although I was scared of butter too but then I went on Bee's Diet and had to eat it to keep my calories up and realized it makes me feel and look better. I gained ten pounds on Bee's diet! I was so afraid of fats making me break out before that I wasnt eating enough of them , I looked like a skeleton. I am naturally skinny but I wasnt eating proper ratios before so I couldnt gain weight no matter how hard I tried. Now I'm 5"7 and 120lbs and pretty happy with that, I'd maybe like to gain about 5 more pounds....The only real issue I'm having is that I'm growing out of all my pants! AHHHH! LOL....

OH! Also.... I find Yoga has really helped me! Espcially with my attitude.

Great thanks, still thriving on a low carb diet. It's the best way to live.

This is interesting because whenever i eat enough dairy, i break out around my mouth the next day. butter doesn't really seem to affect me though. ALso, when i was allergic to dairy when I was younger, butter didn't affect me then either. i think dairy breaks me out now, because even though my allergy seems better now (no more congestion after eating it), it is manifesting itself in a new form: acne.

Edited by vapor1

And I believe some people have high cholesterol and no heart disease (plaque buildup, hardened arteries and whatnot) while other people have low cholesterol and heart disease.

Yes, this is a big part of the equation and is mostly ignored.

People mainly base their understanding that changing saturated fat/carbs etc i.e. dietary intervention causes cholesterol levels and triglycerides to go up or down (and they in fact do). Low-fat will decrease cholesterol (both LDL and HDL). This is the foundation for all mainstream advice from American Heart Association & other major orgs. So you have part 1: the effects of diet on blood lipid profiles.

What is ignored or misunderstood rather, is how specific lipid profiles translate into actual cardiovascular disease risk. Lot's of evidence shows that slightly higher levels of cholesterol are in fact even more cardio-protective than very low cholesterol. The mentality that high cholesterol=heart disease, therefore immediately decrease cholesterol via dietary intervention and statins as a one-size-fits-all strategy for everyone is a terribly oversimplified concept, both ridiculous and potentially dangerous.

Butter is my ultimate superfood. It is like my staff of life. Even better, is this organic grass-fed ghee I get from a farm about 30 min from me. If you live in CO, you can easily find it too.

I think its more important not to be obese and smoking for lower CVD risk.

ps. there's a study that shows that paleo diet (high in lean meat and fish) is better at improving lipid profile than a low cholesterol diet (things doctor prescribe to lower cholesterol).

ps. there's a study that shows that paleo diet (high in lean meat and fish) is better at improving lipid profile than a low cholesterol diet (things doctor prescribe to lower cholesterol).

According to some recent studies, that may be because that cholesterol that is in foods like eggs, are incorporated into the GOOD cholesterol in your blood-HDL, not the supposedly bad LDL, which isnt really bad at all, because its necessary. its the low hdl that is the most concern.

Yes, this is a big part of the equation and is mostly ignored.

People mainly base their understanding that changing saturated fat/carbs etc i.e. dietary intervention causes cholesterol levels and triglycerides to go up or down (and they in fact do). Low-fat will decrease cholesterol (both LDL and HDL). This is the foundation for all mainstream advice from American Heart Association & other major orgs. So you have part 1: the effects of diet on blood lipid profiles.

What is ignored or misunderstood rather, is how specific lipid profiles translate into actual cardiovascular disease risk. Lot's of evidence shows that slightly higher levels of cholesterol are in fact even more cardio-protective than very low cholesterol. The mentality that high cholesterol=heart disease, therefore immediately decrease cholesterol via dietary intervention and statins as a one-size-fits-all strategy for everyone is a terribly oversimplified concept, both ridiculous and potentially dangerous.

Butter is my ultimate superfood. It is like my staff of life. Even better, is this organic grass-fed ghee I get from a farm about 30 min from me. If you live in CO, you can easily find it too.

its a conspiracy to limit the brain power of the common american citizen. cholesterol distribution has alot to due with the optimal functioning of neurons, or so some evidence has led me to believe. im kind of kidding when i say conspiracy, but the possibility is entertaining to think about. And there are also reports that the government is more responsible for the low fat and cholesterol campaign, then any scientists ever were, so it makes me think.

and i suppose their may be some argument that atherosclerotic plaque contains cholesterol, we can thereby assume the cholesterol is the "cause" right?? but the more you learn about the importance of cholesterol to every cell and the brain, you see how silly that sounds. but im not claiming that this is the scientific consensus, it was just my average every day citizen "impression" of the whole issue, which i am QUICKLY reassessing.

the plaque also supposedly contains calcium, so how do you explain that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheromatous_plaque

ive also just read a study that suggested that drinking whole fat milk may be more protective of heart disease, then drinking skim milk, because of increased vitamin a levels and possibly absorption due to higher fat. so not only can niacin lower ldl and raise hdl, and magnesium improve lipids, but now vitamin a as well. Im putting my money on the vitamins and minerals as more of a "cause", at this point.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

According to some recent studies, that may be because that cholesterol that is in foods like eggs, are incorporated into the GOOD cholesterol in your blood-HDL, not the supposedly bad LDL, which isnt really bad at all, because its necessary. its the low hdl that is the most concern.

With low cholesterol diet, I didnt only mean low dietary cholesterol but a cholesterol lowering diet. :P SO low fat and stuff...

EDIT: Ow I might have remembered wrong , or cant find it anymore. I found this study where they compared it to a diabetes diet, which improved several cardiovascular risk factors. :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P...?tool=pmcentrez

Edited by joris

Thanks for all the info guys! I just had a chance to read it through. I left for vacation on the 27th and just got back last week.

Now I can feel good about eating chuinks of butter with my eggs lol....