Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoriAlva

Advice(Spiro or Accutane)

Hi everyone!! I need some advice as to whether i should go the accutane route or go the spiro route. I tried accutane once and it didnt really work that well, i still had acne throughout the course and my acne came back the same as before a month after, however my derm wants me to go on it again. Any advice??

I've used both. It depends on personal preference and how your individual skin works. For me while on accutane I was clear but broke out a few months after stopping. You can't take accutane forever but you can take spiro longterm. Spiro is rather gentle on the body but it's also very slow acting. For me it took 6-12 months to really see results and I think it works best in conjunction with a topical that's helping to normalize pores like tretinoin cream. Spiro works on blocking androgens that cause acne and tretinoin cream (retin-a) makes the pores function normally. The only downside to spiro is it makes you pee alot since it's a mild diuretic. And for me I need to take 100mg/day - half in am and half in pm - for it to work which means I have to be careful how late I take it or I'm getting up to pee late into the night (sigh). Actually after bumping up the tretinoin cream to .1% several months ago I may be able to lower the spiro to just once a day in the morning next spring. It's all experimentation to find what works best...