Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redkbro

My Accutane Ride

Heyo, I'm a 19 year old male. I've had acne for about four years now, and it's been getting worse all that time. Finally, my dermatologist said that accutane was my lost option. I just started my regimen a week and two days ago. 40mg 2x a day. it has already proven to be absolute hell, so after reading all your logs i decided to start my own to get some feedback. Any comments/suggestions would be great.

The skin on my face is peeling, and at the same time i am breaking out worse than ever before. the dryness has shown up already; got my first bloody nose today and my eyes are incredibly red. I've been using Visine but everyone still asks me either if i'm high or if i have pink eye. I feel sluggish and have been taking a lot of naps, and between that and my squinty eyes it's been really hard to study. THIS SUCKS.

I was thinking about calling my doctor tomorrow but am worried that he'll take me right off it. Should I lower my dosage? Will these symptoms persist for the whole five months or is it just more severe initially? Part of me wants to just drop the whole thing and go back to my normal life, but I don't think I can accept having this terrible acne anymore. So do I persevere and risk long-term issues? I've read too many stories and don't wanna become one of those people. AHHHHH.

Heyo, I'm a 19 year old male. I've had acne for about four years now, and it's been getting worse all that time. Finally, my dermatologist said that accutane was my lost option. I just started my regimen a week and two days ago. 40mg 2x a day. it has already proven to be absolute hell, so after reading all your logs i decided to start my own to get some feedback. Any comments/suggestions would be great.

The skin on my face is peeling, and at the same time i am breaking out worse than ever before. the dryness has shown up already; got my first bloody nose today and my eyes are incredibly red. I've been using Visine but everyone still asks me either if i'm high or if i have pink eye. I feel sluggish and have been taking a lot of naps, and between that and my squinty eyes it's been really hard to study. THIS SUCKS.

I was thinking about calling my doctor tomorrow but am worried that he'll take me right off it. Should I lower my dosage? Will these symptoms persist for the whole five months or is it just more severe initially? Part of me wants to just drop the whole thing and go back to my normal life, but I don't think I can accept having this terrible acne anymore. So do I persevere and risk long-term issues? I've read too many stories and don't wanna become one of those people. AHHHHH.

I'm going on my 13 day tomorrow with the exact same dosage as you. My skin is dry and lips are chapped but only until this past sunday I was really tired and red eyed with one bad headache.Although I have not experienced a nosebleed I'm still badly broken out but aside from dryness the other side effects have gone down significantly. I was a little concerned before too,.I now think my body just had to adjust considering this is my first course, 80mg per day and only weighing 140lbs. You might want to give it some more time.

STAY HYDRATED !

Hey guys!

SO - tip #1 drink water, lots of it, and then after you're totally full drink MORE water...I'd say a nice goal would be to try to hit about 2L a day. Carry it around with you all day and just keep drinking.

tip #2 for the eyes Visine was OK, I'm kinda wimp and thought it stung a little so I used things that are adertised as "lubricant" and "artificial tears". I didn't care much if my eyes were red I just wanted them to FEEL ok. I think what REALLY helped get my eyes through it all (over my first course, i'll be starting again next week) was something called LACRI-LUBE. I would put in my eyes every night and it was a miracle. It's for seriously dry eyes and its a kind of gel-y substance. It's a little bit gross and hard to do becuase you have to put it ON your eye (I put it on the rim of my eyelid and it spread itself around) BUT it made my eyes feel nice and normal the next day. It does give you blurry vision so it's not something I'd try to drive with on or anything but once you're comfortably at home who cares.

tip #3 it took my body sometime to adjust as far as sleep goes. I chalked it up the first few weeks to 1) the stress of being scared outta my mind about this crazy drug and 2) the effects of this new drug in my body. Eventually, within a month or two I didn't feel nearly as exhausted anymore (once I decided the pill wasn't going to kill me) ;).

Good luck!

awesome, thanks for the quick responses. i just got up and read those and am feeling better already. part of me thinks it's a big mental game; if you let it affect you adversely it will so you've gotta stay optimistic. :D

I'm glad you're feeling better! I really do agree about a lot of it being a mental thing. I was SO freaked out when I took my first pill, I stared at it and paced around but I took it and nothing happened and finally at some point it was just a non-issue in my life. I took the pill every morning and saw the effects on my skin but for the most part I didn't think about it at all.

For me the overall dryness was the biggest thing I had to combat (especially at the end, my lips were the WORST). Just take it one step at a time, come here when you have a concern and there are LOTS of people who've been through it and have advice and possible solutions for you. You're not alone!

These effects will likely subside as your body gets used to the drug.

If long-term effects exist they are extremely rare, occuring in <1% of people

Thanks for the feedback..my newest symptom is a headache thats centered in my eyes..hoping that'll go away soon. Also I woke up with a sort of rash/scabbing/dryness on the back of one of my hands..WHAT'S THAT?

The initial breakout is subsiding a little bit..hopefully that'll continue

The dry skin/rash on my hands has moved up my arms..is there a remedy for this other than moisturizer? has anyone else experienced this who can share their stories with the rashes? i'm hoping they won't spread/get more noticeable/last too long..it's getting hard to explain away these weird side effects that everyone is noticing/asking about. My roommate keeps telling me i'm eating poison. Sometimes it seems like I am.

In better news, the dry eyes and headache have subsided considerably, so that's good! Also I was able to focus enough to do some homework today for the first time in a week haha..gahh.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED SWELLING OF THEIR LYMPH NODES? The ones right under my chin have blown up and i'm not sure if it's accutane-induced, or if it means i'm sick/gonna be sick soon/have a virus. is it tough to fight off infections while on accutane?

Still feeling exhausted, but I think alcohol from last night is responsible for that rather than accutane..what's the deal with accutane and alcohol? my derm said that he knew I was in college and would be binging, but if my blood test results after the first month indicated a problem i'd have to tone it down, which i'd definitely be willing to do if it helped me out

Edited by redkbro

Alright alright not gettin any feedback here..just got diagnosed with mono though. gonna call my derm to see what he wants me to do about my accutane treatment. it would be a shame to stop taking now, after i've gone through all the initial symptoms

First of all, Accutane is not a "poison". In fact, the active ingredient of Accutane (isotretinoin) is a naturally-occurring form of retinoic acid that is normally present in the blood and tissues of all humans. So tell your roommate that this "poison" is in his/her veins at this very moment.

You may have to stop Accutane temporarily because of your infection, which may or may not have been caused or exacerbated by you drinking alcohol while on Accutane. You should be drinking minimal or no alcohol on Accutane because it is such a liver taxing drug, and you certainly shouldn't be "bingeing". Hopefully now you understand this.

Edited by jimmy188

Got your PM, and I'm pretty sure you go to the Harvard of the corn field so I'm about to drop some truth on you because we're connected....not really but you'll want to read this stuff.

Stop obsessing about everything. You'll drive yourself crazy. But also stay realistic, if the stuff about your glands is genuine and doesn't go away then talk to your doctor. The rash? Stop being a whimp. See what I'm getting at?

Stop drinking. Stop thinking about the IB (not initial break out...you know what i mean) and stop thinking about court street. They don't exist while you're on this shit. I drank about 6 times on my course and felt terrible for days afterward. I went 6 months without drinking and it sucked but it was worth it in the end...and getting drunk was cheap for the first 2 months i was off it. Respect your body man....this stuff isn't a joke. This might be the worse part of tane

Your roomie is right. Accutane IS essentially poison, but it won't kill you.

Your body should get used to the stuff after a month or two, but that doesn't mean you won't feel sluggish and tired. I couldn't study past 6pm if I tried for my entire course...get sleep and study early in the day.

Use eye drops all the time and order Dr. Dan's cortibalm for your lips on amazon. Its amazing, and no girl will wanna kiss you without it while you're on this stuff.

Use T-gel shampoo for your hair...it smells like ass but it keeps huge flakes of skin falling out of your scalp. You're going to get terrible dandruff that head shoulders just won't do anything for.

Shower every two days and that's it.

Use cerave moisturizer for your face every morning...it doesn't make your face look greasy, wont clog pores and helps keep your face hydrated and looking silky smooth. Prepare for your housemates to call you a woman for 6 months....sorry to offend ladies.

Use some extra greasy lotion for your body when you get out of the shower every 2 days.

good luck...ask me if you need anything

i've put off posting this, but i can't anymore..i need some feedback. i've been experiencing some troubles down south. i'll spare the details but i just haven't been on top of my game, whether alone or in the company of a female. Has anyone experienced this? I'm not looking to be impotent for the rest of my life just to get rid of acne so i'm going to call my doctor monday and see what the fuck is going on..this is by far the scariest side effect so far.

Good luck to you. I am sorry that I cannot provide any advice about your problems 'down there', but I will tell you that Accutane is one hell of a drug. The dryness does not get any better. I finished my course on March 15th. The eczema on my hands got really terrible at times and it was painful to put lotion on. Even fragrance-free lotion would burn my hands. Everything was dry and everything ached. I'm still pretty dry and achy since I only came off it a few days ago. Just please be patient. I also suggest investing in multiple Aquaphor lip balms and keep them everywhere so you never forget to put it on your lips. My lips were definitely the worst for me. Best of luck.

Good luck to you. I am sorry that I cannot provide any advice about your problems 'down there', but I will tell you that Accutane is one hell of a drug. The dryness does not get any better. I finished my course on March 15th. The eczema on my hands got really terrible at times and it was painful to put lotion on. Even fragrance-free lotion would burn my hands. Everything was dry and everything ached. I'm still pretty dry and achy since I only came off it a few days ago. Just please be patient. I also suggest investing in multiple Aquaphor lip balms and keep them everywhere so you never forget to put it on your lips. My lips were definitely the worst for me. Best of luck.

thanks for the well wishes, and congrats on being DONE! i really can't even imagine what that feels like right now..

I'm on 80mg/day and for some reason after the first few weeks the dryness hasn't really been a problem for me (knock on wood). I moisturize 2x a day, have chapstick ready everywhere, and have actually cut down on shampooing to let my hair oils do the work keeping my scalp from shedding. i've managed to get by on Burt's Bees and Cetaphil moisturizer, but if it gets worse again i'll definitely invest in some Aquaphor. At this point my only real side effects are the minor dryness, fatigue (which i attribute mostly to the fact that i still have mono), and some performance problems (which i attribute to the double dose of fatigue)..

i have noticed ZERO side effects, but i have noticed ZERO results with my acne...

well consider yourself lucky with the side effects, and as far as the results i'm sure they'll come eventually..reading other people's posts on here you see all the different ways accutane affects different people. but nearly everyone clears up at some point. for me i can see it slowly getting better, but definitely no immediate results. what kinda dosage are you on?

Also, guess I should update my log. Month 1 ended Saturday and I decided to take a week off without checking with my derm. i've heard of other people doing it and i really just wanna get rid of my mono and get healthy again before continuing on my course. it's hard to tell what symptoms are caused by mono and what are from the accutane. i'm hoping this week off will reassure me that all these symptoms are not gonna be permanent and they go away once off the drug. we'll see i guess.

no feed back on the ed? i've been trying to figure out its roots since it just started a week and a half or two ago..i'm hoping it's just a product of the mono fatigue or maybe the fact that last week i was on accutane, cefdinir (antibiotic for sinus infection), corticosteroids (for mono), and ibuprofin (for the rest of the pain) all at the same time...has anybody mixed this many prescriptions? i felt like an old person, all i needed was one of those daily pill dispensers haha

talked to the derm today..if/when i start my second month, i'm probably going to up the dose from 80mg/day for the last two months so that i can finish in four. i'm doing this cause i heard being in the sun with accutane is horrendous, and i already have extremely fair skin. Has anyone experienced summer + accutane?

update: face is moderately broken out..8 actives yeeeesh. i can't win

Well...one month down and I'm pretty sure i'm gonna end my treatment here. I thought by taking a week off everything would return to normal, but i'm still struggling with the whole getting a stiffy thing and that freaks me out. My acne is not that severe anymore and at this point I'm more concerned about my long term health than my temporary acne. Well, I guess its severe, but its manageable. Maybe some time in the future i'll come back to accutane because it's helped my face more than anything else i've ever tried, but i've come to realize that i'd rather deal with my acne now than problems in the future. and yeah, i'm attributing this 100% to my sudden loss of sex drive and ability. Aside from that, the side effects were pretty manageable. They just required a lot more self-maintenance (i.e. moisturizing a lot, etc.) I guess the fatigue was an issue also, but i'll never really know because I had mono for most of my month on the tane. I feel like i've sorta been living in a fog and not enjoying things like I used to. Maybe the mono just came at a bad time. Technically I still have until Saturday before my two weeks off the tane are up; the point of no return (well, of having to start from point 0). Maybe i'll change my mind before then..

ok ok, function is returning down south so i am relieved, but my face started to breakout to pre-accutane status today. meaning i am back to deciding; to accutane or not? great skin, avoiding all sun exposure, not drinking, and risking other health problems, or being healthy, living my normal life, and dealing with acne? i guess this is exactly where i was a little over a month ago when i decided to start my trial, but now i have some experience under my belt. it is just three months, which is a small price to pay. and as was evidenced, the side effects subside after coming off. i'm thinkin month 2 starts tomorrow; wish me luck, and here's to hoping the ib and initial side effects are easier this time, especially with mono out of my system! i enjoyed the break while it lasted. cya acne.

fourth day into month two. all is well. skin is clearing pretty nicely, not lookin like there will be another IB but we'll see. dryness is getting bad again but nothing cetaphil can't fix. libido is down, but i'm not gonna focus on that. also, i've promised myself i'll look at other logs but not at threads because all that most of the topics do is fuel my paranoia. that includes google "accutane + ______ (enter symptom)". just not a good way to live. i'm on it, got 2 months and 27 days left. let's go.

ib returns...damn. feelin lethargic lately but started drinking coffee so that helps a lot. dryness is manageable this time around. libido is nonexistent. aquaphor is great. fill my nalgene 4-5 times a day so piss breaks occur hourly. ahh the life.

ithink your doctor started you off with a high dosage. it's always better to get use to any drug with low dosage, and climb up every month. it allows your body to get use to the drug, without having to deal with too much mg.

i started in 40mg month 1. now im in 60 mg month 2.

and THEN ill go to 80mg.

ithink your doctor started you off with a high dosage. it's always better to get use to any drug with low dosage, and climb up every month. it allows your body to get use to the drug, without having to deal with too much mg.

i started in 40mg month 1. now im in 60 mg month 2.

and THEN ill go to 80mg.

you think? how long is your course going to last? i weigh a hefty 190 lbs...could that be why my dose is high? is that possibly why i've got certain side effects? in which case, do you think they'll subside soon? MOST of them did during my first month, but not all. possibly due to mono though.