Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lissbee

I need advice about Proactiv

Ok so I've been dealing with acne for about 2 years now and it's gotten really bad in the last 4 months. It went from mild to moderate acne. My family members have been hearing me bitch and complain about my acne for awhile now so my sister bought me Proactiv as a gift and gave it to me today.

I have yet to ever use Proactiv because I've been wanting to find other solutions. I've tried the 2.5% BP cream from Neutrogena and I absolutely hated it! It left my skin completely dry and crappy. I was using a moisturizer too but that didn't help so I gave up using acne products swearing to myself that I would only use natural products such as ACV, aloe vera, etc.

I've been using natural products for about a month now and I have mixed results. On the one hand my face isn't dry, but on the other I still get new acne about everyday. I don't know whether I should just try Proactiv and blow my progress on using natural products or if I should put it off until I feel confident that going natural isn't working for me.

I know a lot of people on this forum hate Proactiv. Let's just say that it does work for me and that I finally do see clear skin, what then? Will I continue to use it for the rest of my life? Will my face go crazy when I stop? Will my acne get even worse then it was when I first started?

What should I do guys? I don't want to be a jerk and say, "Um yeah return the gift because I don't want to use it." I'm thinking of just trying it to shut my family up and everyone else that thinks I should use it. I just would HATE if it makes my face worse when I'm finally starting to see some progress with what I'm doing now. I don't know what I should do :(

Edited by lissbee

Hey Lisbee,

My opinion on Proactiv is mixed. It is 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, but is harsher and much more irritating than Dan's BP. Plus it has a fragrance, which is not good if you have overly sensitive skin.

I personally would return it because Proactiv is way too expensive and probably will not work if the neutrogena spot treatment didn't work for you.

On a side note, I was just like you and swore off any acne product including BP. I went all-natural and had horrible results. Instead I changed my cleanser to organic only ingredients. Use Dan's BP, but using much less than directed. And finally using jojoba oil as a moisturizer. As you can see with my signature below that it gave me fantastic results with minimal dryness and peeling. However my skin can handle harsh products pretty well, so that could be a reason why I love BP so much.

Whatever you do decide to do, good luck!!!

I used Proactiv for about 2 years. It was very irritating to my skin. I would only be able to use it for a certain length of time, then I would have to quit. My skin would get so dry and irritated.

I have had acne since I was 14 (28 now). I discovered my acne was from all the chemicals I was putting on my face.

You should definitely try something natural/organic. But beware, a lot of companies say their products are natural, but still contain preservatives.

What kind of makeup are you using?

I found this line, Miessence, and it has cleared up my face. The key for me was using a natural/organic product. Your skin takes about 4 - 5 weeks to adjust and you might through a detox period. But, if you really are searching for something else to try, you could get some samples and see if you have a reaction to the products. Good luck! For me acne was such a big problem for my self esteem and body image. I'm just glad that I have done my research about products and nutrition, and my complexion is improving everyday!

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules.*