Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AbbyC

Switching from Differin to Retin-A

So, my acne has gotten quite bad all of the sudden. Well, for the last few months. I talked to my doctor and he recommended birth control and/or antibiotics, but I don't really want to become dependent on that. I asked him if I could do accutane, and he said he would let me, although I don't classify as having severe acne.

I went to my dermatologist today and she recommended putting me on stronger retinoids. I told her that I just wanted accutane. I don't care about the scary side effects (well, I am secretly pretty scared), I just want to fix my face. My acne has never been tooooo horrible, but I literally get sick and depressed because of it. She said she would, but it'd take 30 days before I could start :( I'm pretty sure my doctor can start me quicker, so I think I may do that. However, she gave me Retin-A Micro .04% to use in the meantime - and here is my question that arises....

1.) If I've been using Differin .03%, am I going to experience an initial breakout if I start using the Retin-A Micro? If so, I'll just hold out with the Differin until I can start on Accutane.

2.) Also, I've been using the ProActiv Extra Strength Formula. If I use the cleanser and toner before I put the Retin-A on during the evening, will the benzoyl peroxide neutralize the Retin-A? I ask this because I'm not really a fan of any of the other cleansers my dermatologist recommends like Cytaphil or CercaVe.

Thank you so much! Responses within this night would be great considering I'm kind of confused as with what I should do.

:confused: