Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Im 22 right now, and my acne is under control. Its been a long battle and ive gone through a lot (including an intensive accutane course). Acne runs in my family, but I got it far worse than any of my siblings or parents had it. It started sophmore year in high school. It was severely severe, like the worst i have ever seen. Huge cysts, pustules, papules, blackheads, everything! I had many derm. appointments and tried everything, until I finally gave in and a course of accutane followed by expensive ass bluelight treatment helped me out (cleared me like 90%, which put me at moderate acne lmao). Anyways, it all makes so much sense in hindsight...Sophmore year I had off campus lunch, and my friends and I would eat Pizza or Carl's Junior (burgers, french fries, etc) EVERY SINGLE DAY. What an idiot...why didn't anybody tell me that could have been the cause?! I definitely would have stopped. Anyways, that is my story. Heres my view on diet now:

Some people: Does't affect acne at all (those with clear skin who eat like shit)

Others: Certain foods affect acne (I cant drink energy drinks or eat shitty pizza like dominoes)

Others: can't eat entire groups of food (dairy, soy, gluten, etc)

However, I do believe anybody could get clear without changing their eating style completely. I realize that it is just not plausible for everybody to become extremely healthy eaters. I am a poor college student, i don't have the time or money for that. In my opinion, as long as you eat relatively healthy (whole foods vs processed foods), take the right supplements to battle acne internally (probiotics, zinc, vit d, fishoil), ANDDD have a good topical regimen (DKR, prescriptions, whatever) anybody can beat their acne!

I also drink green smoothies, not sure if they affect my acne because of all the other stuff I do, but they sure are healthy!

Glad to hear you're doing better. :) I agree that there is no 'magic bullet' with acne, but instead, it's important to consider a bunch of different aspects, as you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.

Np! Thanks for reading. Also i forgot to mention a few simple and easy lifestyle changes can be incorporated also.

Things I do:

1. Change my pillow case every couple of days (I just bought a crap load of them at target, so I do laundry normally)

2. Buy/tell your parents to buy irritant/fragrance/fabric softener free detergent for your clothes (matters most when washing towels and pillow covers

3. no touching or picking at face (this is a HUGE one that many people know)

4. This one is harder: Generally try to not focus on your face throughout the day. Don't obsess over mirrors or reflections. It will only make you A. Self conscious (acne always looks worse to YOU) B. Make you pick/touch your face. C. Sad. or D. takes up too much time

I believe my acne has cleared from doing all of these things I mentioned. My acne is and and has been minimal for a while (i go from 90-100% clear depending on the day), but i know following these rules it will never come back.

ALSO for a topical regimen, i HIGHLY recommended using some kind of retinoid at night (retin a, differin, epiduo, taz, etc) and another topical in the morning (can be anything really). No medicated face washes. No fancy bullshit exfoliating or anything. DKR works great too though :-), just takes up some time (every time i use the DKR i clear up, then go off of it in search of an easier method lol)

Edited by Maximus0

I firmly believe that in those of us who are predisposed to acne, a proper diet and healthy lifestyle can drastically reduce and eliminate acne. Period. And you can do it without the use of ANY topical treatments or ANY supplements.

I also managed to eat a healthy diet while in college and financially strapped. You simply need to learn how to clip coupons and stock up during sales. I ate tons of canned tuna, avocados, almonds and salads. Granted, this may not be nearly as easy for someone requiring more calories, but the average person should be capable of doing such in a lot of circumstances.

My skin is 100% clear. I do not take supplements. I do not use harsh chemicals on my face. I only change my sheets once a week. I don't use any special fabric softeners.

So your overall view on diet is only half right.

- Some people can eat whatever they want because they are not predisposed to acne. That doesn't mean they should eat that way though, of course.

- Some people have specific food intolerance, such as dairy, citrus...etc. that can cause inflammation and acne flare ups.

- A lot of acne sufferers have multiple food intolerances along with overall dietary issues that cause acne. Eating high glycemic meals can play a huge role in causing acne. So can't lack of sunlight, poor sleeping patterns, crazy stress levels and poor fitness. These are just SOME of the ways diet and health can affect acne.

The answer usually isn't always as simple as cutting out certain food groups.

Edited by gMARIAs

I think some people have eaten certain things that have put their body in a state where it's unable to properly digest certain types of foods, organs aren't working as well as they should be, and the intestinal flora is out of whack (not just Candida, but the "probiotic" bacteria as well.)

The people who never have clear faces, but seemingly eat crappy diets are probably just getting in enough of the necessary stuff so their body is working well enough to not get acne. However, 30 years down the line we all know what is going to happen.

Edited by chunkylard

I think people should keep eating healthy even if they are clear... Eating healthy makes you stay young.. ( aging gradually) You'll feel better... etc.

I am clear, but I still eat healthy.. I am a vegan actually.. I don't know for how long though.. =]

Edited by EddieE

I firmly believe that in those of us who are predisposed to acne, a proper diet and healthy lifestyle can drastically reduce and eliminate acne. Period. And you can do it without the use of ANY topical treatments or ANY supplements.

I also managed to eat a healthy diet while in college and financially strapped. You simply need to learn how to clip coupons and stock up during sales. I ate tons of canned tuna, avocados, almonds and salads. Granted, this may not be nearly as easy for someone requiring more calories, but the average person should be capable of doing such in a lot of circumstances.

My skin is 100% clear. I do not take supplements. I do not use harsh chemicals on my face. I only change my sheets once a week. I don't use any special fabric softeners.

- Some people can eat whatever they want because they are not predisposed to acne. That doesn't mean they should eat that way though, of course.

- Some people have specific food intolerance, such as dairy, citrus...etc. that can cause inflammation and acne flare ups.

- A lot of acne sufferers have multiple food intolerances along with overall dietary issues that cause acne. Eating high glycemic meals can play a huge role in causing acne. So can't lack of sunlight, poor sleeping patterns, crazy stress levels and poor fitness. These are just SOME of the ways diet and health can affect acne.

I obviously agree that eating healthy in generally is better.

Maria, i personally don't care if I can get clear only from changing my diet. You know what? I'd rather have some acne than follow a diet of tuna, avacados, nuts, and salad. I love food and I love eating, Why not enjoy life more by eating what makes you happy (OBVIOUSLY to an extent..) and be clear by using topicals/supplements. The reason i made this post was to show an overall, general, easy way people can get clear without taking the fun out of life with many of the activities people do on this board (examples: no masturbation, cutting out huge food groups which they love, water fasting, apple fasting, etc).

I believe getting rid of acne should not control your life, no matter what. I am speaking from experience, my acne used to be terrible...im still emotionally hurt from it. Anyways the point being: do what you can to get rid of acne, take an eclectic approach and change little things in your life. Don't stress out much about it, don't give up things you love unless they are seriously hurting you or there is no other way for you to be acne free

^Maximus - You can love food and still eat right for acne and for reasons far more important than acne.

You just need to learn to love real food, with these things called nutrients. Unlike the diets of the majority of Americans.

Maria eats predominately those things because those are very good, very nutrient dense foods she likes/is convenient for her to obtain/prepare/keep on hand, etc. She wasn't suggesting that it was necessary for you or anyone else to limit their diet to.

And of course you shouldn't stress out about it. Just do it.

Edited by alternativista

I think some people have eaten certain things that have put their body in a state where it's unable to properly digest certain types of foods, organs aren't working as well as they should be, and the intestinal flora is out of whack (not just Candida, but the "probiotic" bacteria as well.)

The people who never have clear faces, but seemingly eat crappy diets are probably just getting in enough of the necessary stuff so their body is working well enough to not get acne. However, 30 years down the line we all know what is going to happen.

Bingo. Many people are broken. They have faulty glucose metabolism, a sluggish liver and pancreas, irritated bowels, bacterial overgrowth- any number of acquired conditions which mostly stem from poor diet and lifestyle. And no, the answer is not to start downing supplements. An acne-clearing, health-building diet is both a combination of adding things that are beneficial/health-restoring, as well as removing barriers to health- whatever is standing in the way of your body healing and optimizing its own function. This problem is, the body might be in such a state where it cannot properly assimilate the things it needs from good, healthy foods, or it may even be rejecting things that should be very good to you overall.

People reference obscure tribes or groups around the world that eat extreme diets, such as inuit or various pacific islanders. Bottom line- these people thrive and flourish on their whole-food diets regardless of macronutrients, because they never broke their bodies with booze, shitty refined foods, sitting on their ass all day in front of a TV etc. This is exactly why you need a multi-faceted and holistic approach when getting rid of of acne and creating life-long habits that will contribute to your wellbeing.

I obviously agree that eating healthy in generally is better.

Maria, i personally don't care if I can get clear only from changing my diet. You know what? I'd rather have some acne than follow a diet of tuna, avacados, nuts, and salad. I love food and I love eating, Why not enjoy life more by eating what makes you happy (OBVIOUSLY to an extent..) and be clear by using topicals/supplements. The reason i made this post was to show an overall, general, easy way people can get clear without taking the fun out of life with many of the activities people do on this board (examples: no masturbation, cutting out huge food groups which they love, water fasting, apple fasting, etc).

I believe getting rid of acne should not control your life, no matter what. I am speaking from experience, my acne used to be terrible...im still emotionally hurt from it. Anyways the point being: do what you can to get rid of acne, take an eclectic approach and change little things in your life. Don't stress out much about it, don't give up things you love unless they are seriously hurting you or there is no other way for you to be acne free

Like alternavista stated, you can eat some damn good food without sacrificing health. The concoctions you can make with nutrient dense foods is vast. Getting rid of acne and keeping myself clear does not control me. Neither does food. Chances are, you only love certain foods because it's what you were accustomed to.

Also, taste buds adapt. I haven't had a donut in I don't know how long. My boyfriend insisted that I at least take a bite of this "amazing" donut he had the other day and quite frankly, it was appalling as it was the first, most sweetened thing I have tasted in quite some time. The overall texture and excessive sweetness of it was just...ick. Three years ago, I probably could have eaten the entire thing. Had you grown up not eating junk foods, chances are, your taste buds would be adapted to the way you HAD grown up eating, and you wouldn't care much for the junk.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't consider living a healthy lifestyle taking the fun out of my life. I have far greater interests that maintain my happiness than how good it feels for the 5 minutes it takes to eat a slice of pizza. I like food too...but I value my overall health more and I can't quite grasp why people choose maybe a couple hours a day enjoying foods that pollute your insides over a lifetime of good health which includes both clear skin and higher energy levels to pursue the other things you enjoy doing

Sounds to me like you're letting food control you.

"Healthy feels better than junk food tastes"

Edited by gMARIAs